Let this sink in | Syracusefan.com

Let this sink in

CIL

All Conference
Notre Dame's starting skill guys are bigger than our linebackers. Their safeties are the size of our linebackers, linebackers the size of our starting defensive ends (10 pounds lighter). Hell, their QB is the size of our defensive ends!

Todd McShay's Scouts Inc had 5 ND players going in the top 2 rounds. I'm not sure we have one player drafted next year.

I know it can be frustrating watching your team lose...we've seen too much of that the last 10 years or so. We'd like to think a certain system would make things better, or that things would be better if we somehow fired a staff.

Realistically we still have a roster that is probably 500ish in the old Big East. But we are a long way away from competing with the NDs, FSUs, LSUs of the world. For those who watched the Clemson Louisville game last night, ask yourself if you think our speed and size would hold up during that game?

The young kids are still kids. They aren't plug and play 5 star talent. Black and Coleman shouldn't be seeing the field this year, but we have no choice. Our O yesterday featured what, 1 or 2 seniors? Defense started 0 seniors?

I think this staff is excellent. I really do. I have 0 problem with the Tampa 2 defense...it wasn't the defense that got Winfield peaking in the backfield on play action. The defense did everything it needed to do on ND's reverse the field TD run. Bigger, faster players probably snuff that out for a 5 yard loss.

I believe we will get there. I think this team in 2 years is going to be close to a 10 win team. I love these systems -- they are light years better than anything we have had here since the freeze option days. Patience people, patience.

EDIT: For those bitching about Dungey, the kid is averaging 340 yards a game through the air with 11TDs and 3 picks. He also has 5 of our 6 rushing TDs...please.

Last edited:
Good does of reality.

Still have issue on special teams. Putrid, ugly, maddening sans Brisly's PRs.

And on D, is this staff fine with teaching Tampa 2 in its purest form even with the realization of what we don't have? Is there case for a tad more of a blitz mentality as we can't get to the QB rushing four and don't have the skill at DB/S to stay with fast 6'5" WRs?

Question for you, I was watching an interview with Bill Polian a few years ago. He was discussing the K-gun offense in Buffalo and the version they brought to Indy with Payton. The discussion moved on to what type of defense best compliments an up tempo offense.

They developed an up-tempo, "fast break" defense that relied on smaller quicker defenders that could put pressure on the QB and create turnovers.

Obviously, not a defense that could hold up to an opponent committed to the run game but if the offense did what it was supposed to do, opponents would become one dimensional and play to the strength of the defense.

An active, opportunistic defense that does not need to win every battle to win the war. Force turnovers, generate a sack on 2nd and 8 that creates 3rd and long, etc...

Do you see Syracuse's D evolving into that when they have the correct personnel or do you think the Tampa 2 is here to stay?

Here's another thing to think about. Louisville had 21 points after running 5 offensive plays.

ND had 23 points after running 4 offensive plays.

Our defense is a turnstile.

That's what a new system looks like with lesser talent.

Similar to our scoring droughts on O.

Good does of reality.

Still have issue on special teams. Putrid, ugly, maddening sans Brisly's PRs.

And on D, is this staff fine with teaching Tampa 2 in its purest form even with the realization of what we don't have? Is there case for a tad more of a blitz mentality as we can't get to the QB rushing four and don't have the skill at DB/S to stay with fast 6'5" WRs?
Yes. There are lots of teams less talented than notre dame and Louisville but that doesn't mean you need to give up a first down on every play on average

If you are in the 120s in a big category, you have problems beyond youth

has anyone really looked at how much even run tampa 2 schemes? if you listen to Conley on the WSTM show during the week we dont run it every play.. and no D is designed to have corners hand off to no one. mental mistakes on top of physical issues lead to big plays.

Notre Dame's starting skill guys are bigger than our linebackers. Their safeties are the size of our linebackers, linebackers the size of our starting defensive ends (10 pounds lighter). Hell, their QB is the size of our defensive ends!

Todd McShay's Scouts Inc had 5 ND players going in the top 2 rounds. I'm not sure we have one player drafted next year.

I know it can be frustrating watching your team lose...we've seen too much of that the last 10 years or so. We'd like to think a certain system would make things better, or that things would be better if we somehow fired a staff.

Realistically we still have a roster that is probably 500ish in the old Big East. But we are a long way away from competing with the NDs, FSUs, LSUs of the world. For those who watched the Clemson Louisville game last night, ask yourself if you think our speed and size would hold up during that game?

The young kids are still kids. They aren't plug and play 5 star talent. Black and Coleman shouldn't be seeing the field this year, but we have no choice. Our O yesterday featured what, 1 or 2 seniors? Defense started 0 seniors?

I think this staff is excellent. I really do. I have 0 problem with the Tampa 2 defense...it wasn't the defense that got Winfield peaking in the backfield on play action. The defense did everything it needed to do on ND's reverse the field TD run. Bigger, faster players probably snuff that out for a 5 yard loss.

I believe we will get there. I think this team in 2 years is going to be close to a 10 win team. I love these systems -- they are light years better than anything we have had here since the freeze option days. Patience people, patience.

EDIT: For those bitching about Dungey, the kid is averaging 340 yards a game through the air with 11TDs and 3 picks. He also has 5 of our 6 rushing TDs...please.

Is anybody complaining about Dungey??

The kid is my hero!

Yup - we aren't running it every play. It's basically a zone defense although a lot of the big pass plays have been had in...wait for it...man covergage.

Yes. There are lots of teams less talented than notre dame and Louisville but that doesn't mean you need to give up a first down on every play on average

If you are in the 120s in a big category, you have problems beyond youth

You do understand the irony?

You have insisted for years that defense does not win games, right?

You do understand the irony?

You have insisted for years that defense does not win games, right?
I've insisted that defensive minded head coaches get us nowhere and offensive minded head coaches can make a difference and I still believe that. I think this season would an epic disaster with Shafer. But the defense has to get better. It should go without saying that if you're the worst defense, that is going to hurt you. We will be fine with a great offense and an ordinary bad defense soon

I've insisted that defensive minded head coaches get us nowhere and offensive minded head coaches can make a difference and I still believe that. I think this season would an epic disaster with Shafer. But the defense has to get better. It should go without saying that if you're the worst defense, that is going to hurt you. We will be fine with a great offense and an ordinary bad defense soon

Exactly, we just need to be 80th bad on D and top 10 on offense...

My biggest problem this year is the offense getting away from what works mid game

It has been a bit frustrating, 17 points in the first quarter against South Florida and only 3 points the rest of the game combined. 27 first half points against ND yesterday and only 6 in the second half.

Either they are going away from what works or the staff has no counter measures once opponents make adjustments. I am sold on Baber's system in terms of it's ability to score lots of points in relatively short order, the consistency however is not there.

Clemson's kick returner was bigger and faster than our linebackers.

Their kick returner. Our kick returner looks like he's 12 years old.

It was probably millhouse that mentioned this recently but the ratio of points scored to allowed is probably better than previous years. With more possessions you're going to have
Greater total point differences even if the points per possesiion difference is the same or better.

If you're going to lose by 20 every game, it is much more entertaining to lose 30-50 than 10-30.

If you look at efficiencies we have the following:

Overall 83rd
Offense 52nd
Defense 97th
Special Teams 110th

Lots of work needs to be done everywhere, but it's game 5 of brand new systems.

If you're going to lose by 20 every game, it is much more entertaining to lose 30-50 than 10-30.

You and I agree on that. But for casual fans that grew up watching 30 years of meathead football, they see 50 points and say "Holy $#!^ we got crushed!"

See yesterday's DO headline, Notre Dame blows out Syracuse football, 50-33, with 2nd-half surge
Bet they don't lead with that if the final score is 24-7.

Most people are still having a hard time adjusting to the "basketball on grass" method of playing football.

If it is the D taking away what we do, then why haven't our opponents tried to take away the pass in the 1st Q of games? Then we would see our sturggles the entire game and not just teh 2nd and 3rd Qs.

They won't play deep and keep everything in front of them until they have a lead.

You and I agree on that. But for casual fans that grew up watching 30 years of meathead football, they see 50 points and say "Holy $#!^ we got crushed!"

See yesterday's DO headline, Notre Dame blows out Syracuse football, 50-33, with 2nd-half surge
Bet they don't lead with that if the final score is 24-7.

Most people are still having a hard time adjusting to the "basketball on grass" method of playing football.
Plus that headline and article was written by that clown from the DO, Tomer Langer. #michaelcohen2.0

Keep in mind, since he talks to scouts he must have credibility.

After watching a few (pre and post game) pressers from other schools, I actually feel for Dino. How on earth does the Syracuse market end-up with such clueless agenda driven a$$clowns? Bailey has also become really annoying.

Remember our D stink last year too (we were 111th I think). Now allow the other team more plays and possessions due to the nature of our offense and presto...

The issues on D go deeper than scheme.

It was probably millhouse that mentioned this recently but the ratio of points scored to allowed is probably better than previous years. With more possessions you're going to have
Greater total point differences even if the points per possesiion difference is the same or better.

Thus far we have faced 2 more plays per game on D vs last year. Yet we give up 65.5 more yards per game. So it isn't simply a function of speeding up on O.

2016 72.8 504.2
2015 70.6 438.5

Reactions: 007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors