Let's get real - coaches we have a realistic chance to hire. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's get real - coaches we have a realistic chance to hire.

Thanks for starting the new thread. The others are way off base and on tangents at this point. The list ADJW is probably working off of from what I know based on his comments and rumors from friends in the industry.

1. Dan Mullen - the long shot possible home run hire. Mullen has really enjoyed his time in broadcasting and stated multiple times that it needs to be a really good match with commitment and patience.

2. Bob Chesney - I think this is the clear safety hire based on the risk/reward. Chesney could be a home run with the culture he builds, the recruiting ties he brings, and his knowledge of the game. The problem is that it is a long jump from the Patriot League.

3. Jeff Monken - people groan at this, but Monken has been a winner at Army which is one of the hardest jobs in college football. He has the recruiting ties and has shown he can modernize the triple option for the passing game, but has been limited by the types of QBs he can recruit to USMA. He has built on the USMA foundation to create one of the most disciplined teams in the country and discipline is how lesser talent beats greater talent.

4. Al Golden - Al has everything that ADJW is looking for in the NE connections, football fundamentals, and experience level. The key here will be the vision Golden is selling in the interview and does ADJW buy it? That’s the main concern that plagued him at Miami and has carried into other interviews. What is the vision and end state?

5. Jason Candle - Toledo has way more resources than their peers and the expectation is to win. That does not translate well to Syracuse University. Candle has been good, but the above is the exact reason why he has not gotten more looks. He was actually a better fit for Cincinnati than Sean Lewis and was ruled out pretty early in the process. I think Candle also struggles to articulate what his vision is. To be honest, I think Chuck Martin is the only MAC coach ADJW seriously considers.

6. Tony White - I think ADJW really likes Tony, but the concern here is fit and I think ADJW is really prioritizing former or current HC experience and success. Tony is probably going to SDSU or sticking with Rhule for one more year depending on what happens with UCLA. I don’t think Tony has a ton of interest in coaching on the east coast and would rather be in the Big Ten.

There are a lot of pipe dreams out there and some things I think everyone needs to keep in mind.

1. If you want a high octane passing offense then you need to be able to recruit the requisite WRs and QBs to do it. Our recruiting base does not have those in spades. Name a high octane passing offense built in the NE? I’ll wait…the air raid is not coming here because we have a Dome. Look at the locations Leach went to and the types of offenses the HS in the immediate area were running.

2. Your team has to be incredibly well disciplined and execute at the highest level of its potential consistently to beat teams with more talent. We all know about Babers’ issues with that. We need to be looking for a HC with a solid track record of highly disciplined teams.

3. We need a program builder and not a flash in the pan. Everyone wants the splash hire but how is that working out for Colorado’s long term health? They’re making money but they’re also spending a lot of money. No big name hire is going to give SU the same bump. Completely different school and alumni profiles. We need a guy like Chesney or Monken that can establish a very solid floor and build from there.

All of these coaches mentioned have been contacted by the search committee.

I would add Jerry Kill to the list also. He's "killed" it everywhere he's coached. And I believe his health issues have been cleared up.
He isn’t a bad candidate, not sexy like some of the other names but you can’t argue with what the guy has done at some dreg programs. His health will always be a concern though even if it isn’t. Perception.

We are not getting Jamey Chadwel, Liberty HC (Mississippi State?), Willie Fritz Tulane HC, Tony White (probably headed to SDSU). Urban Meyer (please stop), Matt Patricia, or any current NFL coach.

Following the model Wildhack gave us in his very interesting presser:
  1. "Really good leader"
  2. "Really clear communicator"
  3. Player Development - Eye for talent and can develop that talent" absolutely critical" "minimize the misses"
  4. Someone who can build a good staff.
  5. Someone who is going to represent the values of the university.
  6. Relationships with high school coaches in the NE.
  7. Northeastern recruiting experience - as a player, coach,assistant coach.
  8. Head coaching or P5 coordinating experience.
  9. Leadership qualities.
  10. Player development track record.
  11. SU connection an "attribute" not a requirement.
  12. Special teams experience a plus.
My names in ranked order.
  1. Bob Chesney HC Holy Cross (44-21)
  2. Curt Cignetti HC James Madison (coached Philip Rivers and recruited Russell Wilson)
  3. Jason Candle HC Toledo
  4. Liam Coen OC Kentucky
  5. Al Golden DC Notre Dame
  6. Charles Huff HC Marshall
  7. Chuck Martin HC Miami (OH)
There are a few I wouldn't be upset with like Bronco.
Who are your REALISTIC names.
I heard coen from someone inside.

#1 chip kelley (rumors of him being fired. UCLA would be nuts). Long shot but my #1 if available.

#2 Dan Mullen

#3 Chesney

#4 Bill O’Brien

#5 Bronco Mendenhall

#6 Al Golden

#7 Doug Marrone

#8 Sean Lewis

#9 Manny Diaz

#10Tony White
Swap Chesney and O’Brien and that’s my top 5

If we have to go lower than that top 5 we are in trouble

I think prior HC experience is a must for us

#1 chip kelley (rumors of him being fired. UCLA would be nuts). Long shot but my #1 if available.

#2 Dan Mullen

#3 Chesney

#4 Bill O’Brien

#5 Bronco Mendenhall

#6 Al Golden

#7 Doug Marrone

#8 Sean Lewis

#9 Manny Diaz

#10Tony White

I'd take Mullen over Kelley. I'm certain I'd take Mendenhall over anybody else. Marrone returning could be interesting in good ways. I'm surmised you don't have Candle on the list .

Why? What am I missing?
It was a thing during the one bowl game. The announcers were just over the top.

"Jerry Kill is on the Minnesota sideline!!!"

Which was a real triumph considering some of the issues he had, but it just got goofy.

9-3 at New Mexico State this year with 31-10 win at Auburn

Hadn't heard that.

I agree he is a fantastic coach. And I guess he didn’t miss any games just couple practices. But he also left Minnesota because of health. Seems like a ticking time bomb. Want a guy that’s always available and won’t have to retire after a year or 2 if it gets worse.

In addition. Maybe it’s stress related. Probably in the perfect spot for his health at New Mexico State. Little less stressful then ACC.

I'd take Mullen over Kelley. I'm certain I'd take Mendenhall over anybody else. Marrone returning could be interesting in good ways. I'm surmised you don't have Candle on the list .

I take chip over Mullen because I think chips offense would be more realistic for the Northeast. Mullen develops QB’s better than anyone. But may be a little tougher to get the personal he is accustomed to. Both fantastic coaches. More 1a and 1B than 1,2.

I don’t have candle or cignatti on the list. Candle worry’s me because he is just doing maintenance on Toledo. Hasn’t had to build them into anything. He has been there for a while and no one has hired him away. He has the best facilities and has been good but not great. I loved Campbell and wanted him over Dino last hiring cycle. Campbell changed Toledo’s culture and turned them into a beast. Candle inherited that team and has managed to have 2 great years, 2 good years, 4 years at .500. I Would like to see more success from someone that has better facilities than anyone else in the conference.

Cignatti is older, mostly from the south, and maybe not, but seems to be more of a flash in the pan. Seems like the JMU program was set up nicely before he got there.

I agree he is a fantastic coach. And I guess he didn’t miss any games just couple practices. But he also left Minnesota because of health. Seems like a ticking time bomb. Want a guy that’s always available and won’t have to retire after a year or 2 if it gets worse.

In addition. Maybe it’s stress related. Probably in the perfect spot for his health at New Mexico State. Little less stressful then ACC.
He has epilepsy. At Minnesota he was having a problem with seizures and quit until he got it under control.

I would add Jerry Kill to the list also. He's "killed" it everywhere he's coached. And I believe his health issues have been cleared up.
HIs move below is not in my good house:

In 2010, Northern Illinois had a nine-game win streak and reached the MAC Championship Game, losing to Miami. NIU finished 10–3 for the year. In December, days after the losing the conference championship to Miami, Kill accepted the position of head coach for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. His announcement came less than two weeks before the Huskies were scheduled to play in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Leaving the team in the manner he did (many teammates learned about his new job via Twitter instead of from Kill himself[14]) dealt an emotional blow to the members of the team; quarterback Chandler Harnish saying about Kill's departure, "I have a horrible taste in my mouth". Additionally, besides the emotional impact, USA Today noted, "The timing of the announcement further hurts the program due to Kill most likely taking the bulk of his staff to Minnesota.

AND

Sept. 2023

Coach Kill is in the middle of his second season at NMSU.

He has a history of medical issues that in 2015 forced him to resign as the head football coach at Minnesota.

Kill is a cancer survivor, and suffers from epileptic seizures.

NMSU is currently 1-2 on the season coming off a loss on the road against Liberty.

His health is again in question at NMST

Kickoff for Saturday's game against the UNM Lobos is at 6:

You have to give the man kudos for his courage but do we want to hire someone whose cancer mat return or have more epileptic seizures on the field?

Thanks for starting the new thread. The others are way off base and on tangents at this point. The list ADJW is probably working off of from what I know based on his comments and rumors from friends in the industry.

1. Dan Mullen - the long shot possible home run hire. Mullen has really enjoyed his time in broadcasting and stated multiple times that it needs to be a really good match with commitment and patience.

2. Bob Chesney - I think this is the clear safety hire based on the risk/reward. Chesney could be a home run with the culture he builds, the recruiting ties he brings, and his knowledge of the game. The problem is that it is a long jump from the Patriot League.

3. Jeff Monken - people groan at this, but Monken has been a winner at Army which is one of the hardest jobs in college football. He has the recruiting ties and has shown he can modernize the triple option for the passing game, but has been limited by the types of QBs he can recruit to USMA. He has built on the USMA foundation to create one of the most disciplined teams in the country and discipline is how lesser talent beats greater talent.

4. Al Golden - Al has everything that ADJW is looking for in the NE connections, football fundamentals, and experience level. The key here will be the vision Golden is selling in the interview and does ADJW buy it? That’s the main concern that plagued him at Miami and has carried into other interviews. What is the vision and end state?

5. Jason Candle - Toledo has way more resources than their peers and the expectation is to win. That does not translate well to Syracuse University. Candle has been good, but the above is the exact reason why he has not gotten more looks. He was actually a better fit for Cincinnati than Sean Lewis and was ruled out pretty early in the process. I think Candle also struggles to articulate what his vision is. To be honest, I think Chuck Martin is the only MAC coach ADJW seriously considers.

6. Tony White - I think ADJW really likes Tony, but the concern here is fit and I think ADJW is really prioritizing former or current HC experience and success. Tony is probably going to SDSU or sticking with Rhule for one more year depending on what happens with UCLA. I don’t think Tony has a ton of interest in coaching on the east coast and would rather be in the Big Ten.

There are a lot of pipe dreams out there and some things I think everyone needs to keep in mind.

1. If you want a high octane passing offense then you need to be able to recruit the requisite WRs and QBs to do it. Our recruiting base does not have those in spades. Name a high octane passing offense built in the NE? I’ll wait…the air raid is not coming here because we have a Dome. Look at the locations Leach went to and the types of offenses the HS in the immediate area were running.

2. Your team has to be incredibly well disciplined and execute at the highest level of its potential consistently to beat teams with more talent. We all know about Babers’ issues with that. We need to be looking for a HC with a solid track record of highly disciplined teams.

3. We need a program builder and not a flash in the pan. Everyone wants the splash hire but how is that working out for Colorado’s long term health? They’re making money but they’re also spending a lot of money. No big name hire is going to give SU the same bump. Completely different school and alumni profiles. We need a guy like Chesney or Monken that can establish a very solid floor and build from there.

All of these coaches mentioned have been contacted by the search committee.
Off the beaten path for a second.

You mentioned two coaches, (Al Golden and Jason Candle), that are, in your opinion, not able to articulate what their vision is for a program in their interviews.

How do you know this information - unless you were on the hiring committee for both?

Off the beaten path for a second.

You mentioned two coaches, (Al Golden and Jason Candle), that are, in your opinion, not able to articulate what their vision is for a program in their interviews.

How do you know this information - unless you were on the hiring committee for both?
Rumor mill from some in media and coaching. People talk

If this offense that Beck put together in 1 week goes out Saturday and rolls over Wake, I really think he should be considered.

HIs move below is not in my good house:

In 2010, Northern Illinois had a nine-game win streak and reached the MAC Championship Game, losing to Miami. NIU finished 10–3 for the year. In December, days after the losing the conference championship to Miami, Kill accepted the position of head coach for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. His announcement came less than two weeks before the Huskies were scheduled to play in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Leaving the team in the manner he did (many teammates learned about his new job via Twitter instead of from Kill himself[14]) dealt an emotional blow to the members of the team; quarterback Chandler Harnish saying about Kill's departure, "I have a horrible taste in my mouth". Additionally, besides the emotional impact, USA Today noted, "The timing of the announcement further hurts the program due to Kill most likely taking the bulk of his staff to Minnesota.

AND

Sept. 2023

Coach Kill is in the middle of his second season at NMSU.

He has a history of medical issues that in 2015 forced him to resign as the head football coach at Minnesota.

Kill is a cancer survivor, and suffers from epileptic seizures.

NMSU is currently 1-2 on the season coming off a loss on the road against Liberty.

His health is again in question at NMST

Kickoff for Saturday's game against the UNM Lobos is at 6:

You have to give the man kudos for his courage but do we want to hire someone whose cancer mat return or have more epileptic seizures on the field?
Yes

What's the fascination with Bronco Mendenhall? Didn't he faceplant at UVA just a few years ago? What's he done to merit such a high level of consideration.

Solid list I would drop 6 and 7 and add Mullen and Bronco
I would certainly be happy with either one. Bronco probably more realistic than Mullen.