Let's get real - coaches we have a realistic chance to hire. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let's get real - coaches we have a realistic chance to hire.

Screenshot_2023-11-24-00-22-30-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

We are not getting Jamey Chadwel, Liberty HC (Mississippi State?), Willie Fritz Tulane HC, Tony White (probably headed to SDSU). Urban Meyer (please stop), Matt Patricia, or any current NFL coach.

Following the model Wildhack gave us in his very interesting presser:
  1. "Really good leader"
  2. "Really clear communicator"
  3. Player Development - Eye for talent and can develop that talent" absolutely critical" "minimize the misses"
  4. Someone who can build a good staff.
  5. Someone who is going to represent the values of the university.
  6. Relationships with high school coaches in the NE.
  7. Northeastern recruiting experience - as a player, coach,assistant coach.
  8. Head coaching or P5 coordinating experience.
  9. Leadership qualities.
  10. Player development track record.
  11. SU connection an "attribute" not a requirement.
  12. Special teams experience a plus.
My names in ranked order.
  1. Bob Chesney HC Holy Cross (44-21)
  2. Curt Cignetti HC James Madison (coached Philip Rivers and recruited Russell Wilson)
  3. Jason Candle HC Toledo
  4. Liam Coen OC Kentucky
  5. Al Golden DC Notre Dame
  6. Charles Huff HC Marshall
  7. Chuck Martin HC Miami (OH)
There are a few I wouldn't be upset with like Bronco.
Who are your REALISTIC names.

Looking at Al Golden, on the one hand he has covered all the bases that Wildhack laid out. He has connections everywhere. He overachieved at Temple and under-achieved at Miami. Good sign that he did well with limited resources, and is a NJ guy, NFL experience, Florida connections. He checks a lot of boxes, but I think he kind of gets you 6-8 wins most years, not a lot better than we've done. I honestly don't see a "home run" on that list. Is it impossible to think we could get the Eagles' OL coach?

I think the list is:

Al Golden
Bronco Mendenhall
Bob Chesney
Dan Mullen

Not a bad list.
Chip Kelly sounds like he has trouble getting along with people.
Mendenhall or Mullen would probably be the steadiest, safest picks.

Looking at Al Golden, on the one hand he has covered all the bases that Wildhack laid out. He has connections everywhere. He overachieved at Temple and under-achieved at Miami. Good sign that he did well with limited resources, and is a NJ guy, NFL experience, Florida connections. He checks a lot of boxes, but I think he kind of gets you 6-8 wins most years, not a lot better than we've done. I honestly don't see a "home run" on that list. Is it impossible to think we could get the Eagles' OL coach?
Can't make the timetable work.

Feels like Dan mullin or Bob chesney

I would assume things w Dan will come down to money

Bob I would assume is ready to sign at the market rate.

I wouldn’t assume this is a done deal. John is probably spending as much time w boosters as candidates now

Yikes. They act like he burned their houses down.
I'd say that Florida fans are second only to Auburn fans among SEC schools for utter insanity topped with never ending viciousness. That's one of the reasons FSU fans are so nutty and short sighted. The trend setters in their state are the Gators bunch.

Feels like Dan mullin or Bob chesney

I would assume things w Dan will come down to money

Bob I would assume is ready to sign at the market rate.

I wouldn’t assume this is a done deal. John is probably spending as much time w boosters as candidates now
IMO (with absolutely no inside information) Wildhack already lined up the people he needs to finance the new HC. That’s why he made the move when he did, so he can get his guy and he can hit the recruiting trail.

I don’t really get the Chesney love. He comes from the Patriot league which is a mediocre FCS conference. He went 7-4 this year w no playoff appearance. He has no ties to CNY. Syracuse should at least be looking at guys from FBS or at least FCS guys competing for national titles.

I don’t really get the Chesney love. He comes from the Patriot league which is a mediocre FCS conference. He went 7-4 this year w no playoff appearance. He has no ties to CNY. Syracuse should at least be looking at guys from FBS or at least FCS guys competing for national titles.
He played two major teams up a level and competed. It’s a false equivalence to say his record was 7-4 with no analysis of it.

He may not be ready but a good coach is a good coach

He played two major teams up a level and competed. It’s a false equivalence to say his record was 7-4 with no analysis of it.

He may not be ready but a good coach is a good coach
Broader picture .700 win percentage at D 2 and FCS, good not great. Just saying last couple searches I don’t recall FCS candidates being on the radar.

He’s built the best OL in the NFL, but I don’t see him leaving until after he gets his Super Bowl ring in February.

Same things were said about Lance Leipold. Holy Cross lost to BC by 3 points, Lafayette by 3 points and Army by 3 points. HC has a student body of 3,000 and no grad program. Chesney is a winner - period.

HIs move below is not in my good house:

In 2010, Northern Illinois had a nine-game win streak and reached the MAC Championship Game, losing to Miami. NIU finished 10–3 for the year. In December, days after the losing the conference championship to Miami, Kill accepted the position of head coach for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. His announcement came less than two weeks before the Huskies were scheduled to play in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Leaving the team in the manner he did (many teammates learned about his new job via Twitter instead of from Kill himself[14]) dealt an emotional blow to the members of the team; quarterback Chandler Harnish saying about Kill's departure, "I have a horrible taste in my mouth". Additionally, besides the emotional impact, USA Today noted, "The timing of the announcement further hurts the program due to Kill most likely taking the bulk of his staff to Minnesota.

AND

Sept. 2023

Coach Kill is in the middle of his second season at NMSU.

He has a history of medical issues that in 2015 forced him to resign as the head football coach at Minnesota.

Kill is a cancer survivor, and suffers from epileptic seizures.

NMSU is currently 1-2 on the season coming off a loss on the road against Liberty.

His health is again in question at NMST

Kickoff for Saturday's game against the UNM Lobos is at 6:

You have to give the man kudos for his courage but do we want to hire someone whose cancer mat return or have more epileptic seizures on the field?

Thanks for starting the new thread. The others are way off base and on tangents at this point. The list ADJW is probably working off of from what I know based on his comments and rumors from friends in the industry.

1. Dan Mullen - the long shot possible home run hire. Mullen has really enjoyed his time in broadcasting and stated multiple times that it needs to be a really good match with commitment and patience.

2. Bob Chesney - I think this is the clear safety hire based on the risk/reward. Chesney could be a home run with the culture he builds, the recruiting ties he brings, and his knowledge of the game. The problem is that it is a long jump from the Patriot League.

3. Jeff Monken - people groan at this, but Monken has been a winner at Army which is one of the hardest jobs in college football. He has the recruiting ties and has shown he can modernize the triple option for the passing game, but has been limited by the types of QBs he can recruit to USMA. He has built on the USMA foundation to create one of the most disciplined teams in the country and discipline is how lesser talent beats greater talent.

4. Al Golden - Al has everything that ADJW is looking for in the NE connections, football fundamentals, and experience level. The key here will be the vision Golden is selling in the interview and does ADJW buy it? That’s the main concern that plagued him at Miami and has carried into other interviews. What is the vision and end state?

5. Jason Candle - Toledo has way more resources than their peers and the expectation is to win. That does not translate well to Syracuse University. Candle has been good, but the above is the exact reason why he has not gotten more looks. He was actually a better fit for Cincinnati than Sean Lewis and was ruled out pretty early in the process. I think Candle also struggles to articulate what his vision is. To be honest, I think Chuck Martin is the only MAC coach ADJW seriously considers.

6. Tony White - I think ADJW really likes Tony, but the concern here is fit and I think ADJW is really prioritizing former or current HC experience and success. Tony is probably going to SDSU or sticking with Rhule for one more year depending on what happens with UCLA. I don’t think Tony has a ton of interest in coaching on the east coast and would rather be in the Big Ten.

There are a lot of pipe dreams out there and some things I think everyone needs to keep in mind.

1. If you want a high octane passing offense then you need to be able to recruit the requisite WRs and QBs to do it. Our recruiting base does not have those in spades. Name a high octane passing offense built in the NE? I’ll wait…the air raid is not coming here because we have a Dome. Look at the locations Leach went to and the types of offenses the HS in the immediate area were running.

2. Your team has to be incredibly well disciplined and execute at the highest level of its potential consistently to beat teams with more talent. We all know about Babers’ issues with that. We need to be looking for a HC with a solid track record of highly disciplined teams.

3. We need a program builder and not a flash in the pan. Everyone wants the splash hire but how is that working out for Colorado’s long term health? They’re making money but they’re also spending a lot of money. No big name hire is going to give SU the same bump. Completely different school and alumni profiles. We need a guy like Chesney or Monken that can establish a very solid floor and build from there.

All of these coaches mentioned have been contacted by the search committee.
Great analysis. Thank you. Wish Bronco was on your list, but can imagine why he isn't.

This happens all the time. People who work at SU athletics are always acting like they are in the know and, at best, they only know who has interviewed. As for boosters, Wildhack will be respectful of their opinions but it is his butt so he will, in the end, go with his gut. IMO the big money guys - most of whom will be on the search committee, will keep things close to the vest and be respectful of Wilhack and the process.

The guy has hred and fired hundreds of people over his 30 years at ESPN and he is thorough. He will close no doors without at least peeking in and I am sure he do courtesy interviews for the boosters, but he knows what he wants and he is not going to change his mind at the point.

In other words, I don't think anybody knows anything. If I am wrong, we will probably know this weekend.

Great analysis. Thank you. Wish Bronco was on your list, but can imagine why he isn't.
I like Bronco, but he doesn't seem to fit most of Wilhack's paradigm. I think he would be great and would stay for awhile. Great coach, great character. As a Mormon, I should think Syracuse is an attractive area for him.

We are not getting Jamey Chadwel, Liberty HC (Mississippi State?), Willie Fritz Tulane HC, Tony White (probably headed to SDSU). Urban Meyer (please stop), Matt Patricia, or any current NFL coach.

Following the model Wildhack gave us in his very interesting presser:
  1. "Really good leader"
  2. "Really clear communicator"
  3. Player Development - Eye for talent and can develop that talent" absolutely critical" "minimize the misses"
  4. Someone who can build a good staff.
  5. Someone who is going to represent the values of the university.
  6. Relationships with high school coaches in the NE.
  7. Northeastern recruiting experience - as a player, coach,assistant coach.
  8. Head coaching or P5 coordinating experience.
  9. Leadership qualities.
  10. Player development track record.
  11. SU connection an "attribute" not a requirement.
  12. Special teams experience a plus.
My names in ranked order.
  1. Bob Chesney HC Holy Cross (44-21)
  2. Curt Cignetti HC James Madison (coached Philip Rivers and recruited Russell Wilson)
  3. Jason Candle HC Toledo
  4. Liam Coen OC Kentucky
  5. Al Golden DC Notre Dame
  6. Charles Huff HC Marshall
  7. Chuck Martin HC Miami (OH)
There are a few I wouldn't be upset with like Bronco.
Who are your REALISTIC names.
So I'm curious. Have any figures been thrown around as to what the budget is for the new hire?

I ask because you seem to clearly be assuming a lower budget hire (non-head coach or a head coach at lower level).

So I'm curious. Have any figures been thrown around as to what the budget is for the new hire?

I ask because you seem to clearly be assuming a lower budget hire (non-head coach or a head coach at lower level).

I'm not even sure anyone knows how much Dino made exactly or the buyout.

Same things were said about Lance Leipold. Holy Cross lost to BC by 3 points, Lafayette by 3 points and Army by 3 points. HC has a student body of 3,000 and no grad program. Chesney is a winner - period.
Lance won national titles right? He was also bowling at a MAC school when a P5 called. Dino was a winner too.

Lance won national titles right? He was also bowling at a MAC school when a P5 called. Dino was a winner too.
Yes D3 titles. Holy Cross is not bowl eligible.

What's the fascination with Bronco Mendenhall? Didn't he faceplant at UVA just a few years ago? What's he done to merit such a high level of consideration.
He didn't "faceplant" at UVa. He quit abruptly because he didn't get the facilities he was promised (and the prospect of getting them looked dim at the time) and/or he wouldn't fire his DC (who was in bad need of firing) out of loyalty for following him from Provo. His departure came as a huge shock to the fanbase. No one was clamoring for his hide.

Last edited:
He’s built the best OL in the NFL, but I don’t see him leaving until after he gets his Super Bowl ring in February.

Maybe we could sign him, make the announcement, and then wait for him. I think he's the best fit for what we need - outstanding coaching of the offensive line. Everything else flows from that. That's the biggest reason for Marrone's success, and that of Paqualoni and even Schwartzwalder, with his innovative (some might say anachronistic ...) use of the unbalanced line and single wing formations.