Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that. 6x less likely to virus if wearing mask. It is a reality until treatments/vaccine are available. The evidence of the benefit of wearing masks increases daily it seems.

My interpretation of that post is that, while masks absolutely are better to wear every day, you cant just expose yourself recklessly to dangerous situations, day after day, and assume they are going to keep you safe.

Wear them when you must be in situations that are full of risk factors (lots of people, close quarters, poor circulation). They will minimize the risk, but not eliminate it. But #1 in prevention long term is minimizing those situations.

My interpretation of that post is that, while masks absolutely are better to wear every day, you cant just expose yourself recklessly to dangerous situations, day after day, and assume they are going to keep you safe.

Wear them when you must be in situations that are full of risk factors (lots of people, close quarters, poor circulation). They will minimize the risk, but not eliminate it. But #1 in prevention long term is minimizing those situations.

Unless you’re wearing an N-95 mask, then the person it’s protecting is -
everybody else, from you.

All the single use masks, bandanas, buffs, etc are not intended to protect the wearer.
It’s to protect anybody around who could otherwise potentially be infected if the wearer, wasn’t.

So if you’re going to be in a crowd, then absolutely wear a mask!
And hope that everybody else is too.

Yes this. I recall early on one of the (various) reasons that at least the WHO was not recommending masks was concern they would provide a false sense of security. There seems to have been more studies/research since then, but I think the prevailing opinion still is that masks are not armor. They are hugely beneficial in many day to day settings, but may not fully protect in long term close contact scenarios (like football games). Maybe the apparent lack of spread from the many protests will cause more thinking on this.

Even with 100% mask wearing, I would still be 50/50 on whether I sit in a stadium.

Masks are designed to protect the other person not you.

I wore a mask all the time when I was out of the house and still contracted Covid. I get frustrated when I see people not wearing masks because it places others at risk. Trust me you do not want to get Covid.

concerning the season I would prefer them wait until January to have the season. This is because a vaccine is set to come out around January. Now it will not be 100 percent but it is the best option for a complete season.

If they start the season on time I doubt it will be more than 4 to 5 games before the ncaa cancels the season.

Id rather wait and have a full 12 games then force the issue and risk having a shortened season.

only my opinion.

No offense to all the armchair doctors on here but Explain to me why ppl can’t tailgate? Bars and restaurants are open all over the county. Explain to me why the COVID exposure is worse on the su hill?! I was in Skaneateles today ppl hanging out having drinks, Same on tipp hill (really doubt they are all in the same household). I was in Ohio two weeks ago, bars are open with ppl enjoying their lives. Was in Minnesota last weekend same there. The Indy 500 is being planned with fans, nascar is having fans now... Before planning the demise of college football maybe we should wait till the professionals have a say in this.

No offense to all the armchair doctors on here but Explain to me why ppl can’t tailgate? Bars and restaurants are open all over the county. Explain to me why the COVID exposure is worse on the su hill?! I was in Skaneateles today ppl hanging out having drinks, Same on tipp hill (really doubt they are all in the same household). I was in Ohio two weeks ago, bars are open with ppl enjoying their lives. Was in Minnesota last weekend same there. The Indy 500 is being planned with fans, nascar is having fans now... Before planning the demise of college football maybe we should wait till the professionals have a say in this.
NASCAR had 5000 fans at Talladega
It can hold about 175,000. Just to clarify.

NASCAR had 5000 fans at Talladega
It can hold about 175,000. Just to clarify.
It’s June and we are months away from game day. There will be close to 200k at the Indy 500 in a few months. I wonder if they will
Be tailgating

Debbie Downer Hot Take -
I guess I’m just not a good fan, because I don’t give a crap if there is a college football season this year. If one person dies because of coronavirus that was transmitted to them by being at a SU game or from someone who attended an SU game, then the price is too high.

College football will be fine if they skip a season. Less so for the people who get sick. Not a popular opinion, but there you have it.

Debbie Downer Hot Take -
I guess I’m just not a good fan, because I don’t give a crap if there is a college football season this year. If one person dies because of coronavirus that was transmitted to them by being at a SU game or from someone who attended an SU game, then the price is too high.

College football will be fine if they skip a season. Less so for the people who get sick. Not a popular opinion, but there you have it.
I am with you. I actually feel like I need a year off from the people with whom we sit and tailgate.

Debbie Downer Hot Take -

This is ethical and spot on. I was hoping for at least games without fans but it seems impossible to keep athletes safe.

I dont think athletes are any less safe playing the sport than they are being on campus in the first place and if they dont go to campus almost every college goes out of business. Before the season you will have very rapid testing in place and kids will be tested enough to keep the transmission for players pretty low between teams.. The issue is how the kids conduct themselves and does it matter if they are at school or not if they are not being careful. Most of these kids have places to go party at home just as much as at school at least playing a sport they have some incentive to be somewhat smart about it. if they are all stuck at home with no sports they will care even less.

You just hope you catch the out breaks early and the colleges will be testing everyone not just the athletes , If they can get thru to Nov then the chances of a vaccine come into play or better treatments

Unless you’re wearing an N-95 mask, then the person it’s protecting is -
everybody else, from you.

All the single use masks, bandanas, buffs, etc are not intended to protect the wearer.
It’s to protect anybody around who could otherwise potentially be infected if the wearer, wasn’t.

So if you’re going to be in a crowd, then absolutely wear a mask!
And hope that everybody else is too.
I'm issued N95 and P100(oil proof). 95% and 99.7%. When not attached to droplets, the virus is .13 mm, the masks filter to .3 mm. Good for particles attached to moisture but nothing is 100%. Dont kid yourself that you are fully protected. All different levels, of better than nothing. The more folks wearing, the better.

I'm issued N95 and P100(oil proof). 95% and 99.7%. When not attached to droplets, the virus is .13 mm, the masks filter to .3 mm. Good for particles attached to moisture but nothing is 100%. Dont kid yourself that you are fully protected. All different levels, of better than nothing. The more folks wearing, the better.

I’m not “kidding myself that I’m fully protected” - nothing short of a HAZMAT suit will do that.

A N95 mask doesn’t make me any more impervious to Covid-19 than a bicycle helmet does to head injury or a seatbelt to being injured or killed in a car accident- they all DO substantially reduce the risks however.

My point was, and is, that the entire point of everybody wearing masks, is to protect everybody else, so it only works if everybody is wearing them.

• wash your hands often.
  • maintain social distance of 6+ feet.
  • wear a mask when the above isn’t possible, or when otherwise required.
  • wash your hands often

The purpose of the masks is to keep you from spreading, not to protect yourself. Yes it helps, but the masks keep people from spreading to other people.

Last edited:
The issue with tailgates is that no one is ultimately responsible. Tailgates require community policing. I don't think tailgates should be banned but I think they need to have limits. It is much easier to keep a group of 20 safe n sane than 200.

A bar or restaurant has the incentive to follow the "supposed" best practices or they can be shut down or lose their liquor license. Tailgates not so much.

I still think our best COA is to shelter those at risk.

I’m not “kidding myself that I’m fully protected” - nothing short of a HAZMAT suit will do that.

A N95 mask doesn’t make me any more impervious to Covid-19 than a bicycle helmet does to head injury or a seatbelt to being injured or killed in a car accident- they all DO substantially reduce the risks however.

My point was, and is, that the entire point of everybody wearing masks, is to protect everybody else, so it only works if everybody is wearing them.

• wash your hands often.
  • maintain social distance of 6+ feet.
  • wear a mask when the above isn’t possible, or when otherwise required.
  • wash your hands often
Of course. ;-) Wanted to clarify the "unless you are wearing an n95". Still need others to wear theirs. Some may take unnecessary risks because they think they are fully protected with surgical grade.

Last edited:
The issue with tailgates is that no one is ultimately responsible. Tailgates require community policing. I don't think tailgates should be banned but I think they need to have limits. It is much easier to keep a group of 20 safe n sane than 200.

A bar or restaurant has the incentive to follow the "supposed" best practices or they can be shut down or lose their liquor license. Tailgates not so much.

I still think our best COA is to shelter those at risk.
Group A = those at risk
Group B = those not at risk

How do you keep the two groups from crossing paths?

im right there with you. If I can’t tailgate with you I don’t even want to go to the game.
And they say romance is dead...

All kidding aside, I love the tailgates almost as much as the games. Hate the thought of missing either. Missing both would be truly awful. Especially with a facility full of new stuff to check out and marvel at. I think our team is going to be good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.