Listening to the game on WAER | Syracusefan.com

Listening to the game on WAER

What is wrong with you?
I’ll take WAER over Matt Park every single day.

And…they are student announcers. Even Mike Tirico wasn’t Mike Tirico in a similar spot.
They are students I get that. They talk over lead changes and gloss over big plays. It’s the old Doug Logan thing of having to catch up with what actually happened. Plus, I don’t want to hear Syracuse announcers getting just as exited over an opponents play as a Syracuse play. I like homers. I would MUCH rather hear Park.

They are students I get that. They talk over lead changes and gloss over big plays. It’s the old Doug Logan thing of having to catch up with what actually happened. Plus, I don’t want to hear Syracuse announcers getting just as exited over an opponents play as a Syracuse play. I like homers. I would MUCH rather hear Park.
So listen to the other broadcast. You felt the need to say students “suck”?

You suck.

Some really good ones and some still in the development stage.
That's right.
I listen regularly when the game is on the ACC Network.
I don't hear anyone who's going right to an NBA job.
But most of them are ok.

The major issues are:

1. they don't listen to the Marty Glickman rule: give the score after each bucket.

2. they talk too much and ignore relevant events.
BUT...so does practically ever other broadcast team doing Orange games this year.

That's right.
I listen regularly when the game is on the ACC Network.
I don't hear anyone who's going right to an NBA job.
But most of them are ok.

The major issues are:

1. they don't listen to the Marty Glickman rule: give the score after each bucket.

2. they talk too much and ignore relevant events.
BUT...so does practically ever other broadcast team doing Orange games this year.
I listened to some radio of the Auburn v Arkansas game on the Auburn coverage a couple of weeks ago while driving. Holy S, those guys were terrible! Especially the color commentator. He made Larry the Cable Guy sound like a national debate champion.

Homers don’t make it to ESPN, that’s a huge no-no in play by play. Also, I would note that as a former WAER guy, the best guys/gals dont do these types of games, they take the away games and the big Duke/UNC/Florida state games. Odds are this was likely the students first time calling a game live.

So listen to the other broadcast. You felt the need to say students “suck”?

You suck.
Yes. I listen intently. I am passionate. I don’t appreciate distraction by weak announcers. It was irritating to me. Students are immune to criticism? That wasn’t the way it was when I was in school. I’m afraid I’m not as woke as you. I didn’t grow up in the age of participation trophies and the handing out of “self esteem” without the least notion of earning it. Why don’t you jump all over the board members who slam players? They’re students! I suck? I can only respond with a short poem by John Keats
Thy praise and dispraise is to me alike
One doth not stroke me, the other doth not strike.

Last edited:
Homers don’t make it to ESPN, that’s a huge no-no in play by play. Also, I would note that as a former WAER guy, the best guys/gals dont do these types of games, they take the away games and the big Duke/UNC/Florida state games. Odds are this was likely the students first time calling a game live.
I get that. All of it. I was mostly speaking tongue in cheek. Plus, it irritated me, a member of the audience.

Yes. I listen intently. I am passionate. I don’t appreciate distraction by weak announcers. It was irritating to me. Students are immune to criticism? That wasn’t the way it was when I was in school. I’m afraid I’m not as woke as you. I didn’t grow up in the age of participation trophies and the handing out of “self esteem” without the least notion of earning it. Why don’t you jump all over the board members who slam players? They’re students! I suck? I can only respond with a short poem by John Keats

Multiple flags on the play here...

Luckily Kaiser ignores the hoops board...

I’ll take WAER over Matt Park every single day.

And…they are student announcers. Even Mike Tirico wasn’t Mike Tirico in a similar spot.

Ouch Mike Tirico. You're reminding me of the olympics. Dang he was rough on that. Guy clearly works hard though.

Kids are students because they are learning, to say they suck is way over the top and too critical. Maybe unpolished is a better choice.
Read some of the comments about the players through the years. They’re students.

If they were polished professionals they wouldn't need to be in school learning their craft.

What on Earth are you prattling on about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom