Looking ahead to next year's squad | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Looking ahead to next year's squad

The problem has been we don't recruiting shooting. We recruit length for the zone. Obviously JB knows more than us but recruiting for the zone means we typically play 2 of the 5 guys who aren't offensive threats. If you have a PG/SG/SF and then one the 2 big able to post then you have 4 players the D must respect.

In 2012 we were playing Scoop/Triche/Waiters at PG/SG, Joseph/Southerland at SF, Fair at PF, Melo/Christmas/Keita at C.

The only non-offensive position we had was at C. We had 4 threats on the floor.

That is the last time we have had 4 good offensive threats at one time.

I don't disagree with any of that, but we were tremendously imbalanced as we had virtually zero inside scoring.

Even Fab couldn't post up--he scored mostly in transition and on put backs.

All of our offense was perimeter oriented [CJ scored a bit inside, I suppose]. BUT we overcame that by getting so many runs outs off of great defense [steals, shot blocking, etc.].

That 2012 team was terrific. But they weren't good in half court offense. The were the opposite of the 2010 team in that regard.

G, Cooney Bros, Mali, Lydon = 4 offensive threats at the same time.

How soon they forget... :crazy:
Hey buddy you must have missed the last 3 years about Cooney.:crazy:
The kid played hard but he wasn't consistent and that was part of problem last year with our offense.

Alsacs said:
Hey buddy you must have missed the last 3 years about Cooney.:crazy: The kid played hard but he wasn't consistent and that was part of problem last year with our offense.

He was recruited and he was known as a good shooter.

Hey buddy you must have missed the last 3 years about Cooney.:crazy:
The kid played hard but he wasn't consistent and that was part of problem last year with our offense.

Point guard who can't run the point, two freshmen whose day-to-day performance is a flip of a coin, and a shooting guard whose offensive skills just aren't quite up to snuff.

Agree with you - this was the opposite of a team with four good offensive players.

Though I wouldn't mind watching Gbinije play the 3 along a more experienced Richardson and Lydon and a good point guard.

Last edited:
I honestly think our 8-man rotation is solid, and has the potential to be a very good team next year. I'm still sticking with top-5 acc and top-25 most of the year - probably some growing pains to start but then a strong finish...
As far as overall qty of players, right now I'm really just concerned with having 10 legit practice players (and then obviously filling vacancies for '17, but I'm confident that will be sorted out in the coming months). Basically we need one more forward and one more guard to make that happen - am really hoping the staff comes up with something so that we have those two players by October.
I agree.

Our backcourt has a lot of talent but also a lot needs to click for that talent to be recognized this year.

Frank Howard "could" make a huge jump from freshman to soph.
Tyus Battle "could" be one and done caliber.
Gillon "could" be a scoring 6th man off the bench.

Our frontcourt however, could be dominant. I don't know too many teams that will be able to match up with Lydon, Roberson, Chukwu, DC and Moyer. These guys should be terrors on the offensive glass and wreak havoc defensively.

He was recruited and he was known as a good shooter.
Responses like this are why I never care to respond to your posts which I don't do. You respond to my posts.

So what.

Cooney will go down as one of the most successful team members in SU history for reaching 2 Final Fours. The kid caused a lot of debates. He was a kid who went out a winner he just wasn't consistent enough on offense for an offensively challenged team. If makes you feel better he had a very similar season to Malachi Richardson. Both of them weren't super consistent. Each had hot games and cold games.

Now thank you for your interest in my post and have a nice day.

I honestly think our 8-man rotation is solid, and has the potential to be a very good team next year. I'm still sticking with top-5 acc and top-25 most of the year - probably some growing pains to start but then a strong finish...
As far as overall qty of players, right now I'm really just concerned with having 10 legit practice players (and then obviously filling vacancies for '17, but I'm confident that will be sorted out in the coming months). Basically we need one more forward and one more guard to make that happen - am really hoping the staff comes up with something so that we have those two players by October.
I hope your right and I am wrong. I do think we are an NCAA team anyway and as we have showed this year anything can happen once your in.

Alsacs said:
Responses like this are why I never care to respond to your posts which I don't do. You respond to my posts. So what. Cooney will go down as one of the most successful team members in SU history for reaching 2 Final Fours. The kid caused a lot of debates. He was a kid who went out a winner he just wasn't consistent enough on offense for an offensively challenged team. If makes you feel better he had a very similar season to Malachi Richardson. Both of them weren't super consistent. Each had hot games and cold games. Now thank you for your interest in my post and have a nice day.

Missed the point:

You: we haven't recruited shooters
Me: Cooney was recruited primarily for his shooting
You: Some old gripe you like to hold onto, yadda, yadda. He was a good team member and wasn't consistent.

Me, now: I didn't say it worked out great or that he fulfilled his promise as a shooter, but he was certainly recruited for it.

At some point you should let it go, man. We haven't gotten into anything for 6 months. I'm just responding when I honestly disagree and think the board would benefit from the discourse.

I'm more worried about the perimeter defense than anything else right now.

OK now I will read everyone else's responses.

I could see the perimeter defense being shaky but one big help will be Battle. He's going to be an elite defender and one man fast break off of steals and blocked shots. Gillon could be shaky defensively. He's small for the zone and his response when I asked him about his defense was hardly reassuring: something that included, and I'm paraphrasing, "I won't be a liability." His quickness should help. And Frankie was pretty poor defensively but could be a good defender if he wants to be. I think our forwards should be fine, though TR was not great IMO.

I could see the perimeter defense being shaky but one big help will be Battle. He's going to be an elite defender and one man fast break off of steals and blocked shots. Gillon could be shaky defensively. He's small for the zone and his response when I asked him about his defense was hardly reassuring: something that included, and I'm paraphrasing, "I won't be a liability." His quickness should help. And Frankie was pretty poor defensively but could be a good defender if he wants to be. I think our forwards should be fine, though TR was not great IMO.

Hard to argue any of that. I don't necessarily think any of the three guards can not play good defense just that it will take time to learn the where's and when's.

For the people who have seen Battle play, do you guys think hes going to have more of an impact than Malachi last year or less?

For the people who have seen Battle play, do you guys think hes going to have more of an impact than Malachi last year or less?

He will be more consistent than Malachi. Battle will have off nights but he can do more things well and impact the game in more ways. Malachi had a stretch of basketball that gave us a Final Four berth and that will be tough to top. Still, I predict that Battle will have a better all around regular season. I can't wait to see his length and athleticism at the top of the zone.

To me, the loss of Mali is huge. Sorry, but it makes us a suspect offensive team again.

While the zone is kryptonite to teams in the tournament who haven't seen it before, next year's team will be better on the inside of the defense than last year's team.

Chukwu wasn't that great as a freshman at Providence, but he's had a year of practice to learn the zone. I think he is going to play more minutes at center than Coleman, and I think he will outperform him both statistically and "emotionally" on the floor. I see Chukwu as having an impact like Brimah at UConn. I think he is going to be a good rim protector, and I think if Frankie and Gillon can throw the alley oop, PC knows how to finish at the rim.

I like Coleman as a backup center, who gets the start out of respect, and I like his experience in the middle of the zone, just calling out where people should be on defense. I don't expect any more from him than we saw this year, to be honest. He just doesn't have any lift, so he's not a shot blocker. You can't press with him at the back and he's not going to score a lot in the low post, except against mid-majors.

I think Lydon makes a jump out of necessity. He will HAVE to shoot with less reluctance next year and will do well. I still think he will be one more year away from where he ultimately will get to as a player.
I think Roberson will play more consistently, but still not as consistently as we all hope. I think he will have a marginally better year than this year, and he is a big, big key to the team. I don't see him developing a mid-range shot next year. I'd be happy for him just to catch the pass better when he rolls to the hoop on the pick and roll. It would be nice if he could learn a simple drop-step, too. Just to have one inside move other than simply trying to get past a guy. He drives a bit too much into traffic, just like Jerami Grant in his last year. If Roberson is as good as Grant, that's fine.

Don't sleep on Matt Moyer. He has a GREAT motor and a fierce attitude on the floor. He reminds me of a cross between Ryan Blackwell and Terrence Roberts, before he hurt his knees.

In the backcourt, Gillon will probably be good running the break. We might run more out of the zone than we have since Jonny Flynn. I think he is more likely to shoot 35% from three than close to 40%, especially with the step up in opposition. Colorado State is a pretty good program - certainly better than Columbia - but it's not the ACC. His quickness is undeniable, though and he is a guard who has balance to his offensive game. I'm excited about seeing him on the floor. We haven't really run that well since MCW, and really since the 2010 team with Kris Jo getting out on the break.

As much as we liked Frankie this year, the best thing about his game was his poise and his vision. His shooting was horrific, to be honest. If he can just finish around the rim and shoot close to 40% from the floor and 30% or a little better from three (maybe just make one a game), that will be enough for me. I expect him to be the third guard, and as long as he can handle the press and get the ball to people in the right spots on the floor, that's enough. One thing he might surprise us with is his ability to throw the 'oop. I saw a few signs of it last year, and trust me, Chukwu can throw 'em down. I hope this becomes a surprise part of our offense. This is where unexpected upside can be found.

That leaves us with Battle. I don't think he will be an all ACC player this year, to be honest. He's going to score probably about 13-15 points a game, just based on how much the ball will be in his hands and how much we will need him to be a lead scorer. I think he will likely lead the team in shots, although probably not shooting percentage, and certainly not from three. He, to me, is kind of like a freshman Dion - cocky, take it to the hole, not a great shooter, but can get streaky. I just wish we had one more guy like that, and he wasn't the only one. That's the problem. He will be the only guy who can reliably break down an opponent at the end of the shot clock. That's going to make us a bit predictable offensively, although if everything breaks right for us, we may get enough out of the offense.

On the defensive end, I think having two new guards is going to mean that the top of the zone isn't as tight, we will probably allow more dribble penetration into the lane, and we will probably allow more open threes on ball reversals. It will probably be January before the guards begin to play good defense. We could use Thompson for one more big body. That would be good. Ideally, we would have still had Mali, and this would be a top 10 type of team that could be capable of a deep run.

Next year, I think our interior defense is potentially better, but only if the guards are good enough to cut off penetration into the lane. I believe Chukwu will be better than Baye Keita in terms of shot blocking, but I don't think anybody compares to Keita by the time he was a junior or senior in terms of calling out the cutters, shooters, where people needed to be, etc. He was a great teammate, and a hell of a quarterback in the middle of the zone.

Well thought out post but lydon is a star. He doesnt make the jump out of necessity but because hes just that damn good.

Missed the point:

You: we haven't recruited shooters
Me: Cooney was recruited primarily for his shooting
You: Some old gripe you like to hold onto, yadda, yadda. He was a good team member and wasn't consistent.

Me, now: I didn't say it worked out great or that he fulfilled his promise as a shooter, but he was certainly recruited for it.

At some point you should let it go, man. We haven't gotten into anything for 6 months. I'm just responding when I honestly disagree and think the board would benefit from the discourse.

I can deal with different opinions and I know I am wrong quite often. On the other hand I have no use for dealing with people who annoy me or have annoyed me. Please don't give me this discourse garbage comment I have no problem admitting once I deem somebody pest I am done with them.

I don't let things go easily and I am extremely competitive. I would say you are better off not responding to me like I have done with you. However, we live in a free society and I can't tell you what to do.

I can deal with different opinions and I know I am wrong quite often. On the other hand I have no use for dealing with people who annoy me or have annoyed me. Please don't give me this discourse garbage comment I have no problem admitting once I deem somebody pest I am done with them.

I don't let things go easily and I am extremely competitive. I would say you are better off not responding to me like I have done with you. However, we live in a free society and I can't tell you what to do.
Correct.

Alsacs said:
I can deal with different opinions and I know I am wrong quite often. On the other hand I have no use for dealing with people who annoy me or have annoyed me. Please don't give me this discourse garbage comment I have no problem admitting once I deem somebody pest I am done with them. I don't let things go easily and I am extremely competitive. I would say you are better off not responding to me like I have done with you. However, we live in a free society and I can't tell you what to do.

Olive branch rescinded. Put myself out there publicly in the attempt.

I won't respond to you personally anymore.

Side note: if you were competitive, you wouldn't hide from opposing opinions.

Olive branch rescinded. Put myself out there publicly in the attempt.

I won't respond to you personally anymore.

Side note: if you were competitive, you wouldn't hide from opposing opinions.
Thanks man I appreciate it.
I have no problem admitting I am part of the problem.

He will be more consistent than Malachi. Battle will have off nights but he can do more things well and impact the game in more ways. Malachi had a stretch of basketball that gave us a Final Four berth and that will be tough to top. Still, I predict that Battle will have a better all around regular season. I can't wait to see his length and athleticism at the top of the zone.

When they play him and Howard together with Chikwu, the zone could be very scary...then switch things up w Gillon to speed things up and actually push crazy fast breaks w/ Battle...next year's squad could be really fun to watch.

I am curious if Moyer can play some SG, atleast during a press. I think we will be seeing 30 min of Lydon at Forward. I am imagining alittle bit of Keita from Chuckwu a guy that can contain the drivers that do get by with pressing up some, and Lydon molding into a Warrick like weakside presence. This team has the potential to be a very very dangerous defensive team.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom