Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Mark Coyle has quite the mess at Minnesota

To be clear, I also have MAJOR reservations with how some of these disputes are handled by universities. I think there are a concerning number of cases where even basic fairness for the accused is ignored and the deck is so stacked against the accused that the whole thing is a farce. I think school administrations oftentimes know jack squat about handling and adjudicating these kinds of allegations, and as a result there are results that do not match up with basic fairness.

It's just that THIS CASE is not one of those. There is a needed conversation on how these increasingly common incidents on college campuses are handled in a way that prioritizes finding truth and justice while being sensitive to victims and respecting the rights of the accused. But this is not the case for that conversation.

So true as the current environment is you're guilty until proven innocent...however, this whole episode is so seedy. A few things should be addressed. What was the age of the victim and the alleged perps? (Since alcohol was involved) Did she know she was being videotaped? Has she done something like this before? Bottom line, I hope others learn from this...drunken group s e x is a ticking time bomb for so many reasons.

Personally I think suspension is warranted (as playing for UM is a privilege not a right) but I'm not ready to convict these guys until they get their day in criminal court. BTW, a financial settlement is not an admission of guilt...
By suspending them, you convicted them, in the public eye.

I have a huge problem with giving anyone's name in a sexual assault case, until there has been a conviction. Allegations are not enough.
I represented a kid who lost his job at Wegman's before he ever had a chance to defend himself.
We went to the grand jury and they booted the charges. ( for non lawyers, there is a phrase about how easy it is for the DA to get an indictment: "you can indict a ham sandwich")
Her name was never publicized and she didn't lose her job.

So what I gathered from the last 24 hours is that the players finally READ the report and dropped their protest.

Who is their spokesperson? Emily Litella? #ohnevermind

I read that also. That would been nice if they had read it before they went all "Donna Martin graduates" on everyone.

yeah looks like Gophers now going to play in the bowl. Claeys (and poss Coyle) is dead man walking tho - that program is about to go into the b1g cellar (again)

I don't think it's fair to put on Coyle, but Claeys coming out and defending the insane boycott by his rape apologist players should end his tenure.

I don't think it's fair to put on Coyle, but Claeys coming out and defending the insane boycott by his rape apologist players should end his tenure.
true but there's a ton of clamor from alums and big donors against Coyle - this might be a housecleaning type situation

I have a huge problem with giving anyone's name in a s e xual assault case, until there has been a conviction. Allegations are not enough.
I represented a kid who lost his job at Wegman's before he ever had a chance to defend himself.
We went to the grand jury and they booted the charges. ( for non lawyers, there is a phrase about how easy it is for the DA to get an indictment: "you can indict a ham sandwich")
Her name was never publicized and she didn't lose her job.

Isn't there a gap between the burden of proof for a criminal case and the proof needed to be suspended from the football team? And if so, how do you punish them without naming them, given their very public jobs?

true but there's a ton of clamor from alums and big donors against Coyle - this might be a housecleaning type situation

Agree. Seems a lot of the alums are among the apologist set though.

Isn't there a gap between the burden of proof for a criminal case and the proof needed to be suspended from the football team? And if so, how do you punish them without naming them, given their very public jobs?
Why announce (make public) a suspension at all?

How old are you?!?? I am assuming you are probably too old to be attending high school parties...just saying, not judging...

tumblr_mjgr0nXHbn1qcfya4o1_500.gif

DA sounds like a wuss. She reported considerable resistance and they still won't press charges? Fitzy tried to indict Flynn and co., it was the grand jury that said no, not the DA's office. Also like to point out that the whole reason Coyle is even in MN to begin with is that the prior AD was brought up on s e xual harassment charges. Coyle's first job is restore the department's integrity, I don't doubt for one second he would shoot first and ask questions later.

Fitzy only did it for the camera time. If I won the powerball I'd form a super PAC to fund someone to take him out during his next election.

Wow...that report is very thorough and after reading it, it definitely appears s e xual assault(s) occurred...I hope they all get kicked out of the school and I think the admin did the right thing.
They deserve to be in jail if half of the stuff in that report is correct.

They deserve to be in jail if half of the stuff in that report is correct.
Funny how you've come around... Oh Lord

The info has been available for a while and was the basis upon which some of us took the positions that we did.

Funny how you've come around... Oh Lord

The info has been available for a while and was the basis upon which some of us took the positions that we did.
It's a pretty damning report. I'm surprised there aren't criminal charges to be honest and I admit when I'm wrong.

It's a pretty damning report. I'm surprised there aren't criminal charges to be honest
Speculation is that she may not want to testify, and who could blame her? Without her testimony there's not enough of a case to go to trial with.

I wonder if UMN somehow obtained access to (or heard about) the results from the rape kit taken at the hospital. Anything along the lines of "we found DNA from 8 males in samples taken from her" would be adequate for UMN to corroborate the story that they've compiled.

What the hell is wrong with people?
Not to be the "society is to blame" guy but woman (and men) are viewed as commodities now. It's turned people into animals.

This is the hottest song out right now. Tell me how some may start to view the opposite sex, when this is all you've got brainwashing you through your headphones and then corroborated by what you see in the club.

This isn't a defense at all. Just trying to help answer your question of why we seem to see an uptick in these awful incidents.

Not to be the "society is to blame" guy but woman (and men) are viewed as commodities now. It's turned people into animals.

This is the hottest song out right now. Tell me how some may start to view the opposite s e x, when this is all you've got brainwashing you through your headphones and then corroborated by what you see in the club.

This isn't a defense at all. Just trying to help answer your question of why we seem to see an uptick in these awful incidents.

So can I sue society for all my problems?

So can I sue society for all my problems?
Never said anything about that. I'm just digging a little deeper. Most people can listen to music like that, go to the club etc.. and seperate themselves from it. Some can't. Couple that with a lifestyle where women throw themselves at you and some try to "catch" you and guys become desensitized to women being human and begin to look at them like objects.

Is this an excuse?.. HELL NO.

Is it reality?.. I believe the answer to that is yes.

The question I replied to was "what is wrong with people"? How do these student-athletes even get to this point?.. I'm just answering that.