Louisville game is huge. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville game is huge.

LOL Addazio is not on the hot seat. They have gone bowling in each of his first two years. They had a top 35 recruiting class this past year. That class has a lot of young defensive talent and has done well this year.
BC has no QBs this year but the natives aren't calling for his scalp. Boston College has no fans in Boston. Boston is all Patriots right now.
If BC sucks next year maybe the heat might rise but Addazio isn't going anywhere now.

Ummm skout had BCs recruiting class at 58... Bunch of spot behind ours... Where does the top 35 come from?

Ummm skout had BCs recruiting class at 58... Bunch of spot behind ours... Where does the top 35 come from?

TwoFourSeven has
2015- SU #57 BC #62
2014- SU #50 BC #52
2013- SU #73 BC #87

According to that site SU>BC in recruiting since Shafer started

TwoFourSeven has
2015- SU #57 BC #62
2014- SU #50 BC #52
2013- SU #73 BC #87

According to that site SU>BC in recruiting since Shafer started

He might be referencing Rivals, but even there BC's classes were #47 last year and #42 the year before, vs. #60 for us and #52.

ESPN had BC 2014 42nd
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?class=2014
Rivals had BC 42nd
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

When I checked the rankings last year BC was higher they finished 42nd sorry. That is still better than we finished.
So I guess they fell from 35 to 42. I was wrong about the final ranking. BC has recruited better than us in 2014 and 2015. Also, there 2016 class is 13 spots higer than ours right now and people keep talking about how great a recruiter SS is.

BC has had four 4 star recruits the past 2 years. Syracuse has had 1.

They are out recruiting us.

ESPN had BC 2014 42nd
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?class=2014
Rivals had BC 42nd
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

When I checked the rankings last year BC was higher they finished 42nd sorry. That is still better than we finished.
So I guess they fell from 35 to 42. I was wrong about the final ranking. BC has recruited better than us in 2014 and 2015. Also, there 2016 class is 13 spots higer than ours right now and people keep talking about how great a recruiter SS is.

BC has had four 4 star recruits the past 2 years. Syracuse has had 1.

They are out recruiting us.

Depending on what sites you look at. TwoFourSeven has BC lower each of the past 3 years.

I haven't seen that anywhere. BC could do much, much worse than Addazio.

If BC unloads him, we should jump.
It is all over their board.

If people want to make recruiting a big reason to keep SS please do so? Our recruiting is bottom third in the ACC. If that is a strength okay.

Depending on what sites you look at. TwoFourSeven has BC lower each of the past 3 years.
I look at ESPN. I think any of 24/7, Skout, Riv@ls are fine.
I don't think we have out-recruited BC. However, the excuse will be who wants to go school for 4 years in Syracuse over Boston which I don't subscribe too.

Gerg pulled in several good recruits Nassib, Sales, Chandler Jones, Pugh, Lemon, Carter. Marrone didn't get those studs. I think SS has been adequate at recruiting but I wouldn't call his recruiting a strength.

People on this board who's opinion I respect have said that this team is "close". And it's fair to say that with a few breaks we could have beaten both UVA and Pitt. So maybe that is true.

But this game has to be where we're not just close, but we win. Full stop, end of story.

Louisville is nothing special. They're a mediocre team in what is proving to be a largely mediocre conference. Their offense is lousy, statistically speaking. Their D is good, but not dominant. There are precious few college D's that can't be scored on these days, it's the nature of the game, as we all know.

So hopefully Shafer and Lester recognize reality. We are desperate. We need to go for it. We have tried to slow the game down and it hasn't worked. So play fast and play to win. Call the game with the kind of abandon we did when we played LSU. Play like you know your D will not help you all that much, because its likely that they won't. Reality, not theory. Go down swinging for Pete's sake.

We're relatively healthy for this point in the season. We're on our 4th road game, the experience should no longer be new or intimidating. There really aren't excuses if we lose on Saturday, other than that we're simply not good enough.

Big time college sports is about winning. All the other stuff is a side show, like it or not. Enough with youth and progress and all that. It's time to win.

When you watch the high octane offensive teams they never put on the brakes. Watching the Bowling Green game the other night reminded me of this. At the end of the half BG calls time outs to get the ball back with over 2 minutes left when Ohio had the ball. They then throw 2 long passes each being broken up for in-completes and if I recall they throw another incomplete for a 3 and out. Ohio gets the ball back with about 2 minutes left. I thought it was kind of strange they didn't even run a running play to run down the clock a little bit but I've been programmed to think this way watching SU play for a long time.

So BG then goes all out to get another TD as they didn't play "not to lose" at end of half but went all out with the kind of abandon you mention we had with LSU. I don't mean our coaches should play with reckless abandon but it's a mindset when you watch Bowling Green and other high octane teams like Baylor & Oregon of a year or two ago. All BG wants to do is score TDs fast and furious.

I wish Shafer & Lester did this as you suggest ALL THE TIME! I'm not sure if it's the style of play but more of a mindset. I just haven't seen it since the LSU game. I think that's the mindset we want for SU to take advantage of its greatest asset - the Dome environment.

The question I have in my mind can Lester & Shafer the guys who can take advantage of the Dome environment and deliver a high octane offense? Or do we have a coach that calls a time out cause he thinks his offense is "gassed" before the end of a half at FSU. For me this is the crux of the issue regarding Shafer & Lester long term...

I look at ESPN. I think any of 24/7, Skout, Riv@ls are fine.
I don't think we have out-recruited BC. However, the excuse will be who wants to go school for 4 years in Syracuse over Boston which I don't subscribe too.

Gerg pulled in several good recruits Nassib, Sales, Chandler Jones, Pugh, Lemon, Carter. Marrone didn't get those studs. I think SS has been adequate at recruiting but I wouldn't call his recruiting a strength.

I don't think we've out recruited BC, but they haven't out recruited us either.

If I were grading SS.
Likability: A 1 credit
Recruiting: B- 3 credits
Game Planning for Opponent: D 3 credits
in Game Coaching/Adjustments: D 3 credits
Overall Grade 1.63=C-

Sorry I am not keeping a C- after 3 years and I think I was nice in my grades.

The recruiting between the two schools has been pretty close over the past 2 years, probably why you see a split decision between Rivals/ESPN and 2-4-7/Skout.

BC had some pretty high quality players in their 2014 class. BC's 4 stars were Harold Landry, Jonathan Hilliman and Connor Strachan, all of which are starters for them now and high quality starters. Strachan is their second leading tackler, Landry is their 4th leading tackler, and Hilliman ran for 860 yards and 13 TD's as a true frosh.

The recruiting between the two schools has been pretty close over the past 2 years, probably why you see a split decision between Rivals/ESPN and 2-4-7/Skout.

BC had some pretty high quality players in their 2014 class. BC's 4 stars were Harold Landry, Jonathan Hilliman and Connor Strachan, all of which are starters for them now and high quality starters. Strachan is their second leading tackler, Landry is their 4th leading tackler, and Hilliman ran for 860 yards and 13 TD's as a true frosh.
You mean to tell me that you can get a commitment from a 4/5 star AND get them to actually play for you?

Last edited:
Alsacs said:
If I were grading SS. Likability: A 1 credit Recruiting: B- 3 credits Game Planning for Opponent: D 3 credits in Game Coaching/Adjustments: D 3 credits Overall Grade 1.63=C- Sorry I am not keeping a C- after 3 years and I think I was nice in my grades.

Who did all the defensive game planning? Because this years been not great - but we've been pretty solid from 2009 on.

Who did all the defensive game planning? Because this years been not great - but we've been pretty solid from 2009 on.
You are the HC not the DC. Being the DC doesn't require you manage practice and attend offensive meetings and handle the media. I am not going back to 2009. SS isn't calling the D now. Being the CEO is different than regional manager.

Not the same. He's proven he can be a very good/great coordinator. Being a very good/great head coach is a whole different story.

SUFan44 said:
Not the same. He's proven he can be a very good/great coordinator. Being a very good/great head coach is a whole different story.

If you're calling out game planning as a fault, yeah it's relevant to the discussion. I'd agree that there has been bad time management, a bad hire, and some issues with the media. And that the w-l record is not close to what it needs to be.

But the guy can get a defensive scheme together. And I've been pretty happy with the offensive game plans outside of being a bit too conservative earlier this year.

Just think people are making mountains of a few things while failing to acknowledge the good stuff. As usual.

just a thought. Louisville could easily lose out versue SU, UVA, Pitt and Kentucky. Hmmm

If you're calling out game planning as a fault, yeah it's relevant to the discussion. I'd agree that there has been bad time management, a bad hire, and some issues with the media. And that the w-l record is not close to what it needs to be.

But the guy can get a defensive scheme together. And I've been pretty happy with the offensive game plans outside of being a bit too conservative earlier this year.

Just think people are making mountains of a few things while failing to acknowledge the good stuff. As usual.

My goodness. That's not the point. Being a head coach has nothing to do with defensive scheming. He shouldn't even be in charge of the defense anymore. Why is Bullough there then?

The point is going clearly over your head. His job is to be the general manager of the corporation, overseeing all aspects.

SUFan44 said:
My goodness. That's not the point. Being a head coach has nothing to do with defensive scheming. He shouldn't even be in charge of the defense anymore. Why is Bullough there then? The point is going clearly over your head. His job is to be the general manager of the corporation, overseeing all aspects.

Nothing to do with defensive scheming but overseeing all aspects?

Yeah, that makes sense.

So you feel he can be absolved from all game planning issues?

You mean to tell me that you can get a commitment from a 4/5 star AND get them to actually play for you?

That's the difference between the classes if you ask me. On paper they look very similar, except all of our 4 stars from the 2014 class either never made it, aren't with the program anymore, or haven't hit the field yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom