Class of 2015 - LS Matt Keller (PA) Signed LOI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 LS Matt Keller (PA) Signed LOI

So that's...

Dawson (if he's healthy)
Prater (if he qualifies)
Edouard (if he really shows)
KJ Williams (if the staff still wants him and he qualifies)
Davis
Dunkelberger (if he commits)
Robinson (if he recommits)

...who could all potentially enroll in January and count towards the Class of 2014.

Wait a second we really offered a long snapper?

When Marrone was the head coach, he said he liked to use his 85 scholarships like this:

40 offense
40 defense
1 kicker
1 punter
1 long snapper
2 wildcards

I am ok with it. Especially if he really is the best in the nation.

Sam Rodgers was a 4 year scholarship athlete.

Interesting I always thought he was a walk-on.

If we are offering a LS, we have to do something about Norton. We can't have 2 kickers, a LS, and a punter on scholarship. It's not like we don't have other needs.

I don't think he really has an offer yet. I remember seeing on twitter last week the report wasn't fully true. I think he could end up with one, but not sure it's there yet.

If we are offering a LS, we have to do something about Norton. We can't have 2 kickers, a LS, and a punter on scholarship. It's not like we don't have other needs.

We had Krautman, Norton, Rodgers and Dixon on the books this season. Hofrichter will take Krautman's slot, and Keller would replace Rodgers.

Norton's a bit tricky. He's been here three years, and it's tough to make a kid transfer when he's close to his degree. Maybe there's an FCS team that needs a kicker.

Yep. I have no problem offering a LS, I think it's important enough to warrant a scholarship. But having a solid place kicker now, and a solid punter, and having a frosh coming in that can do both and having Norton as well - something's got to give there.

When Marrone was the head coach, he said he liked to use his 85 scholarships like this:

40 offense
40 defense
1 kicker
1 punter
1 long snapper
2 wildcards

I am ok with it. Especially if he really is the best in the nation.
Gotta have more than 1 kicker. Seems like a no-brainer.

Syracuse Football ‏@syrfootball 6m6 minutes ago
Syracuse football recruiting: Long snapper Matt Keller verbally commits after official visit: http://ow.ly/Fv7bA

Syracuse, N.Y. — Penn Manor (Millersville, Pa.) High School senior long snapper Matt Keller has verbally committed to Syracuse after taking an official visit this weekend. Mike McAllister of At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. first reported the news.
Keller, who stands at 6 feet and weighs 225 pounds, becomes the Orange's 25th verbal commitment in the Class of 2015, counting 2014 holdover cornerbacks Lamar Dawson and Treevon Prater. Coming into the visit, his only offer was from the Orange, Penn Manor head coach Todd Mealy said on Thursday, though North Carolina, Louisville and Texas Tech were all showing interest.
Keller is ranked the No. 1 long snapper in the country by Kohl's Kicking.
"He's a good student in general," Mealy said. "His attention to detail in the classroom carries over to the football field."
With SU senior long snapper Sam Rodgers set to graduate, the Orange will also return walk-on redshirt sophomore Keith Mitsuuchi and walk-on true freshman Nathan Hines at the position.

Last edited:
Snapping is not easily teachable, it's very technique driven. I did the long snapping in college, it's very hard. It's quite hard to snap it back there with speed and accuracy. Every tenth of a second counts
Where did u play, if I may ask?

Can't hurt getting the top ranked player in the country at a position. Welcome to the Hill!

I always think back to that botched snap during Paulus's first game that cost the game against MN. Even though it wasn't a long snap that is just seared into my memory.

Let's see I started three years, left tackle, center and guard. Mostly lt and C
What years did you play there? I know a few guys that played ball there ...