Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Just awesome news. Really great. So far the three players that I felt were the worst contributors to a mediocre team are the ones sticking around and the two of the most productive players are headed elsewhere.

This blows. I wonder which previous SU recruit Red is going to bring in his place only for him to either be not good or be injured.,

1000%. End of day these guys leaving have seen and won 0 post season games. Losing 1 or 2 of them hurts but let’s see what year two of Autry brings. He won 20 year one with a group of misfits.

Realistically he needs to win more next year and if he doesn’t and isn’t in the tourney the year after then he’s gone anyway.
a lot of the best teams this past year were heavy from the portal

there's like 200 good players available lol

people are flipping out that this team that didnt sniff the post-season is losing players?

im glad the team will be different next year...tired of the immature play and the blowouts

I'll watch if there's nothing else on. Like to watch Brunson.
Speaking of which, didn't we turn him away when he was in high school?

Solid choice, lose a proven player to appease a guy who hasn’t ever seen a college court.

Stellar roster management
I don’t remember Brown signing a contract. It’s at will employment. If I’m Autry maybe I told them both that neither of them is guaranteed a starting spot. Can buy a player but can’t force them to stay

Maybe banking on Patterson and Maliq knew?
it would be ridiculous if patterson was good enough to help the team all season but simply rode the bench bc that was "the plan"...they were CRYING for a Center all year

but if true...at least it would mean the C spot is likely in good shape for next year

doubt it, though

lol
It would arguably make more sense to say that bringing in a top-level center by now would have even hastened Maliq's decision, as then he'd be behind both the starting 4 and starting 5

Yeah, that’s not how I see it. Bell isn’t enough of an offensive weapon (streaky shooter with no other skills) to overcome his all-time terrible defense. There wouldn’t be a reason, not a good one at least, to put Brown solidly behind Bell. In fact, Bell makes more sense coming off the bench as a scoring punch than bringing Brown off the bench.

I think we can safely infer Brown did not want to play Center. If it was insinuated that he’d play more than zero minutes at Center next year, I can’t blame him for leaving. That’s insane.

I don’t remember Brown signing a contract. It’s at will employment. If I’m Autry maybe I told them both that neither of them is guaranteed a starting spot. Can buy a player but can’t force them to stay
If I’m red, I would probably tell my only returning ACC caliber player that he’s going to start.

Watching the NCAA tournament proves to me that our team is not talented enough. No one on this team convinced me they were indispensable. Not Mintz, not Brown. In the new days of the portal the key is turning your team over to increase overall talent. The only question is can Red and staff do it.

Speaking of which, didn't we turn him away when he was in high school?
Lots of guys like that. Thompson said no to Sherm, who we took (if memory serves) when Boo Harvey chose SJU. We missed on Steve Nash and Rolando Blackmon.
See a guy on an off day , that’s it.

Yeah, that’s not how I see it. Bell isn’t enough of an offensive weapon (streaky shooter with no other skills) to overcome his all-time terrible defense. There wouldn’t be a reason, not a good one at least, to put Brown solidly behind Bell. In fact, Bell makes more sense coming off the bench as a scoring punch than bringing Brown off the bench.

I think we can safely infer Brown did not want to play Center. If it was insinuated that he’d play more than zero minutes at Center next year, I can’t blame him for leaving. That’s insane.
well the reason bell played is 3pt shooting

a frontcourt of C, brown and freeman isnt shooting 3s

this era is about 3pt shooting

so yeah they wouldnt want to play freeman and brown together, most likely...unless you had a filipowski at center who can shoot

His time at center was impacted by all of the injuries.

This blows.
It's a new era. Can't fault any decision any of these players make; they're just operating within the system that exists now.

I told Dean Francis that Maliq would transfer if we didn't get a true Center. And Maliq was forced to play the 5. But our coaches have a hard on for him to play the 5... well he's gone now and now we have to look for his replacement... HUGE Loss...
If this is true that the coaches wanted him to play the 5 & he didn't, the BB coaching staff needs to learn from Coach Fran how to take the players interests into account.

The idea that Brown wouldn't start for us is so absurd I can't even begin to think about it. It's just as absurd as the idea that Copeland wouldn't start for us. Another absolutely brutal loss here

His time at center was impacted by all of the injuries.

It was. With McCleod a likely perpetually injured guy and Patterson a big question mark, Maliq might’ve been asked to be ready at Center again.

I’m venting, I guess. I’ve given the program a lot of rope, but our indifference to the Center position over the years is going to be the death of me. We can’t recruit them. We don’t land any in the portal (Lack of effort? Lack of atttactiveness? idk). We don’t develop them while they’re here, probably because we think it’s cool and chill to have guards teach them how to play. And we’re happy to play guys out of position because they’re ’good enough’ down low.

I know a lot of that is on JB. I’m starting to get very concerned it will continue with Red.

Watching the NCAA tournament proves to me that our team is not talented enough. No one on this team convinced me they were indispensable. Not Mintz, not Brown. In the new days of the portal the key is turning your team over to increase overall talent. The only question is can Red and staff do it.
Watching the NCAA Tournament proves to me that you just have to gel and get hot at the right time. Play together and have fun and you see what the Wolfpack is doing.NC St is not that much more talented than the Cuse as shown by our two victories over them this season.
Hopefully Red gets a bunch of guys that get along well together and really enjoy playing with each other.

really shouldnt be that hard

this only sucks if the new players also suck...which could happen...but I am optimistic that they will be good.

The idea that Brown wouldn't start for us is so absurd I can't even begin to think about it. It's just as absurd as the idea that Copeland wouldn't start for us. Another absolutely brutal loss here
you have scarcity mindset...your perspective only makes sense if no new players can be added.

there are hundreds of good players out there ...

this team needed a shakeup.

Watching the NCAA Tournament proves to me that you just have to gel and get hot at the right time. Play together and have fun and you see what the Wolfpack is doing.NC St is not that much more talented than the Cuse as shown by our two victories over them this season.
Hopefully Red gets a bunch of guys that get along well together and really enjoy playing with each other.
Yup that's it, talent has nothing to do with it, just get a bunch of guys who get along. You nailed it.
Let's shoot for the anomaly and not what we know is the problem.

i mean...I get it...he's a great player and did everything right...really easy to root for etc...

BUT

maybe wait and see how the roster shakes out...?

I have a feeling Brown wouldve been a bench option at best this year and wanted to start

they're probably bringing in some good forwards and a center and therefore brown might not fit as a starter ...

at the end of the day, what is brown's position? not a center...not a small forward...

freeman, the 5 star mcd's all american is a power forward, right?

plus they will probably bring in at least 1 other forward that can play PF...so...idk

Brown "deserves" to start...but I don't think he wouldve next season...so ...
So he waits and it doesn't shake out well in his eyes, then what?

Burns pretty much said the other night that entire team flipped a switch before the ACC tournament.

He admitted they had players that were half-hearted, showing up late for team mtgs, etc... and they somehow galvanized and got bought-in 100%... no more late to team mtgs, players giving 100% effort, doing the things Keats was coaching them to do with added focus and purpose, etc.

...exactly what our team needed to do and didn't do...

I don't know what sort of team meeting or players-only mtg they had, but whatever it was, it worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom