Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I’m not disagreeing with the points around Maliq but here is a different angle I was struggling with having him come back-

You play Donnie and Maliq as your starters and you have to rely on Bell as your backup 4 and McLeod your backup 5 I think. Not sure who you convince to come play as the third PF/ second SF and third C unless they are undersized. McLeod is maybe healthy maybe not. Chance is your backup 3 most likely and secondary PG. Maliqs offense has to improve a lot if that was our reality and honestly not sure who you lure in if Maliq is staying.

So if Maliq had stayed you almost have to have Bell move on to balance things out with someone who plays the 3 and 4 being able to defend and rebound well enough and play more physically given neither Maliq or Donnie are likely of that mold necessarily.

I think the gaping holes with him returning, when you sit back trying to sort out the sales pitch and how you have them both on the court with Bell but also need depth gets tricky unless we have some serious NIL to throw around.

I think we were in a tough place stay or go when it came to Maliq and here we are handed which card we have to play.

I'm not worrying about Bell in lieu of Maliq.

My order of guys on the team:
Maliq

Donnie

Then everyone else.

You can't create a catastrophic problem worrying about challenging problems.

You have to brutally prioritize here.

Just to confirm if you are getting this or not...

You realize in this scenario you outlined

We are WITHROP and Arizona State, right?
Oh you need the entire pack of inhalers for yourself huh?

By the way JJ is both a transfer and a returning player. I know that’s hard for you to understand but I figured id help ya out lil buddy

Oh you need the entire pack of inhalers for yourself huh?

By the way JJ is both a transfer and a returning player. I know that’s hard for you to understand but I figured out help ya out lil buddy

I mean, you’re literally a dullard if you think JJ is a transfer next year. Continue with the personal insults tho

Maliq is the highest rated PF.

Role player though.
I agree with your high regard for Maliq. But Who is saying he’s a role player? Straughn said it a month ago. He’s a centerpiece for what we want to do. (That doesn’t mean he’s the biggest star or top scorer.)

SU assistant Brenden Straughn, Brown’s position coach, describes Brown as “probably the most valuable, the most important piece of what we’re doing on both ends of the floor.”

I mean, you’re literally a dullard if you think JJ is a transfer next year. Continue with the personal insults tho
Ahhh belittles first then cries shocking.

Holy how can you not comprehend that if he transferred once, he’ll always be a transfer. No where did I say he’s gonna transfer again.

I used a bunch of RETURNING PLAYERS to suggest you want to RETURN YOUR BEST PLAYER to do well. I’m surprised this concept was that difficult to understand

Because it's disingenuous using guys that are older, have transferred, are local, or are a top 5 draft pick.

Because it's disingenuous using guys that are older, have transferred, are local, or are a top 5 draft pick.

No it’s not. The fact that you had to use 3 separate cases that “don’t count” for 4 players should suggest something to your argument

Maliq

Donnie

Then everyone else.

I think it comes down to the devil you know vs the devil you don’t. You build around them but are limited what you can do.. you lose one and you could lose way more than you gain which is the major assumption at this point in portal madness( which is fair given we’ve got no idea yet what the roster will look like). If McLeod stays but can’t get right or into shape you are William Patterson from being the smallest team in the ACC. Maliq, Freeman, McLeod, Bell, Westry and Patterson is your front court. You have to find that other guy who maybe doesn’t have to start but can play both big positions and is big enough such that losing McLeod doesn’t recreate this years back line issues all over again or at least close to the same.

Was Lampkin a legit reality with Maliq staying for instance? Not trying to be defeatist but it feels like it’s trying change on for size or hoping adding Donnie and a new PG is enough to play with the same frontcourt challenges. I’m not sold on either outcome tbh… and I hate losing Maliq.

No it’s not. The fact that you had to use 3 separate cases that “don’t count” for 4 players should suggest something to your argument

Nope. But that's fine.

Are you being serious right now?

Hunter Salis played 16 mins and scored 4 points a game at Gonzaga.

I think it comes down to the devil you know vs the devil you don’t. You build around them but are limited what you can do.. you lose one and you could lose way more than you gain which is the major assumption at this point in portal madness( which is fair given we’ve got no idea yet what the roster will look like). If McLeod stays but can’t get right or into shape you are William Patterson from being the smallest team in the ACC. Maliq, Freeman, McLeod, Bell, Westry and Patterson is your front court. You have to find that other guy who maybe doesn’t have to start but can play both big positions and is big enough such that losing McLeod doesn’t recreate this years back line issues all over again or at least close to the same.

Was Lampkin a legit reality with Maliq staying for instance? Not trying to be defeatist but it feels like it’s trying change on for size or hoping adding Donnie and a new PG is enough to play with the same frontcourt challenges.

You put Lampkin, JJ and Bell out there together, you need Donnie and the PG to be all world defenders.

Maliq

Donnie

Then everyone else.

your two priority guys play the same position and both want to start. This is a two-way street. I have no doubt Red wanted to keep both and laid out a scenario where they both got enough minutes. I have no idea why that wasn't good enough for Maliq but it wasn't.

You put Lampkin, JJ and Bell out there together, you need Donnie and the PG to be all world defenders.

You play a team with a legit big and you need the same with Maliq let’s be honest- he got worn down having so much responsibility having to cover for others and try and defend the paint. If we were gonna turn over more roster spots…

Are you being serious right now?

Hunter Salis played 16 mins and scored 4 points a game at Gonzaga.

Maliq Brown scored 9 points here. And people are jumping out of windows.

Whoever in this thread talked about important players, most important players, whatever. Those guys seem to matter this season.

your two priority guys play the same position and both want to start. This is a two-way street. I have no doubt Red wanted to keep both and laid out a scenario where they both got enough minutes. I have no idea why that wasn't good enough for Maliq but it wasn't.

Another way, our head coach couldn't figure out how to keep his best player and his best recruit on the same team.

It's his job.

Another way, our head coach couldn't figure out how to keep his best player and his best recruit on the same team.

It's his job.

Yes and no… what is our NIL situation? It just feels like we are up against it a bit and until we resolve that - maybe Red is limited to what he can do.. who knows- I just think we were going to be gambling one way or another no matter what

It's his job.
NoT HiS FaUlT

For some people, it wont be his fault until the day he retires

Yes and no… what is our NIL situation? It just feels like we are up against it a bit and until we resolve that - maybe Red is limited to what he can do.. who knows- I just think we were going to be gambling one way or another no matter what
That's a fair debate. One we don't know the answer to.

Saying "everything is fine" isn't as valid a debate. You want to keep your best players. In this scenario, I'm willing to accept like pearl31 laid out maybe just wasn't in the cards. We recruited over Maliq with Freeman and Maliq wasn't willing to accept the center position. If this is what happened, not much you can do.

Everyone relax here is highlights of the SU FANBOARD OBVIOUS FAVORITE PLAYER last year to calm you. The board loved his rebounding and defense all year!!!!

In regards to NIL...

We are in the middle of the pack when it comes to the ACC.

There are going to be teams that can outbid us.

But that's not the right question. It's not apples to apples.
But, to a fairly significant degree, it's the question Red had to ask and answer, at least in a sense of projecting for this upcoming season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom