Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Buh bye.

Maybe now we'll find a big with some post moves?

Every sweet 16 team had 2-3 competent bigs. We had 1. There are kids out there. Time to find them.

Half are mad about this post, when it doesn't matter. He's the one quitting on SU. People act like he'll read something nice on here and change his mind and decide to return and backup Donnie Freeman.

Last edited:
Are we certain this is not an April fools joke that got out of control?

I remember months ago when the portal and NIL was a developing
story there were many on this board who thought this was a
positive for college athletics. While it is a windfall for these "student
athletes", it never was and never will be a positive for college sports.

Unless there's major legislation at the national level (which is a
potential nightmare itself), this scenario is only going to get more
and more ludicrous and totally unmanageable. I don't blame the
players, although Dartmouth is taking it a step too far, it is the
NCAA (ie the big time schools) that didn't have the foresight to
institute a more reasonable and workable alternative before all
this got totally out of hand.

This stings right now because Malik is probably as good as an all-around player as we have, but the portal giveth and the portal taketh

I really like Maliq and have enjoyed watching him play. I bet he does well wherever he ends up. I will be rooting for him.

I think this move was driven by Donnie Freeman. While Maliq is a good PF, Donnie is a difference maker. He has to play the vast majority of the minutes at the 4.

He is IMHO already a better defender, shot blocker, rebounder and shooter than Maliq is. He is our ideal 4. Maliq has some limitations at the 4. He might break through some over time...in fact I think he will. But he is never going to be the all conference level player Donnie is going to be.

So he has to play center to play for us. While he did a fine job filling in at center this year, he isn't a great fit there either. We really need a center who can defend big strong guys, rebound well, block shots and have some polished moves around the basket.

Maliq is not that guy and never will be.

I wish him well. Sad I won't see him develop and play his last 2 years but this is the new landscape for college sports. Major roster turnover is going to happen, especially for programs looking to make major improvement.

I wish Brown, and all well. Here’s how I really feel though:

We’ve become overly attached to players that aren’t our traditional quality of player. We’ve been mediocre for a decade. Its lowered our expectations.

I hope Red brings in talent that buys into his style and brings some pride back to the orange.

I wish Maliq would stay but I’m not going to be upset. This isn’t CJ Fair.

I really like Maliq and have enjoyed watching him play. I bet he does well wherever he ends up. I will be rooting for him.

I think this move was driven by Donnie Freeman. While Maliq is a good PF, Donnie is a difference maker. He has to play the vast majority of the minutes at the 4.

He is IMHO already a better defender, shot blocker, rebounder and shooter than Maliq is. He is our ideal 4. Maliq has some limitations at the 4. He might break through some over time...in fact I think he will. But he is never going to be the all conference level player Donnie is going to be.

So he has to play center to play for us. While he did a fine job filling in at center this year, he isn't a great fit there either. We really need a center who can defend big strong guys, rebound well, block shots and have some polished moves around the basket.

Maliq is not that guy and never will be.

I wish him well. Sad I won't see him develop and play his last 2 years but this is the new landscape for college sports. Major roster turnover is going to happen, especially for programs looking to make major improvement.

Good post.

not sure you can care anymore. honestly don't invest in the players anymore as there is no investment in the program. For the few that invest in the university and city, they'll be rewarded greatly.

This whole situation is a clown show. This is a guy who played minutes and leaving.
Rewarded greatly how?

Maliq was a solid player and would've been a big part of next year's team. Tough loss, but perhaps this will push Red to bring in actual post players with an offensive game and the ability to play C.

Maliq was an efficient player with great hands on D, but also never showed the ability to play with the ball in his hands. He could pass, but he couldn't do anything off hte bounce or to create shots. We need those types of players, badly.

Please Red, you HAVE to bring in at least 1, likely 2, players with post ability along with another forward. We can't be rolling with McLeod and Patterson, and no backup forwards. YIKES.

I'm surprised people aren't more adjusted to this by now.

If the entire roster entered the portal, it wouldn't surprise me a bit. Some might come back, others will be replaced by someone else.

It's free agency with no rules, so everyone will test it.

Just wait and see. And have faith that Autry is able to figure it out.

If he doesn’t then we will be on the market for a premiere coach sooner than later.

Either way, Maliq was a piece. Not someone who is going to consistently be the best player on a Top 20 team. We need more of those types.

I like Red. He still has runway. But in no way has he done enough for me to have blind faith in him.

Could he get it right for next year? Hope so.

But this loss is on Red. He has to fix it.

I wish Brown, and all well. Here’s how I really feel though:

We’ve become overly attached to players that aren’t our traditional quality of player. We’ve been mediocre for a decade. Its lowered our expectations.

I hope Red brings in talent that buys into his style and brings some pride back to the orange.

I wish Maliq would stay but I’m not going to be upset. This isn’t CJ Fair.
He will make an all conference team before he graduates. Meanwhile some here will be happy keeping Bell and Starling smh.

these kids clearly don't give a about this program

all about the name on the back of jersey these days
why should they???

this seems to be opening a lot of eyes

but NIL and all this player empowerment made this kind of thing INEVITABLE

have all the people moaning in this thread been sleeping for the past 5 years???

i was genuinely surprised when maliq announced he was staying

but that false announcement just shows how frivolously the people involved in this sport take everything

there's no need for the players to pretend anymore

we are in the ME ME ME era...of everything ...not just college sports

This is devastating.

I wonder if this is about him just maxing his earnings, having to play center again, is someone returning that wasn't expected? Would really like to know why.

But this is brutal.
It is devastating!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom