Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

But what pieces will fit together then? We aren’t even a deep frontcourt as it is. Brown would’ve still played 30-35 mpg (at PF and center), Freeman would play 25 at PF and SF, and a portal center 25 mpg. There’s your minutes distribution.
I have zero clue what the plan is but if I were taking a shot at what maybe they're thinking is that they can collectively improve the frontcourt and Brown sees that as potentially diminishing his minutes/role? Not sure but maybe they want to add Freeman, still play Bell, maybe they like Patterson's potential and feel they can get some minutes from McLeod and they wanted to add a couple more bodies for depth but Brown saw that as a negative? Really not sure.

Not my take at all. I’m just comparing the two players. If getting Lampkin costs you Maliq you don’t do that deal.
But what is Maliq’s concern/problem? That’s the question. Does he want to play zero minutes at center and only PF? A portal center like Lampkin would alleviate Maliq having to play center for 35 mpg. Lampkin’s a big dude so he’s only playing 25 mpg like DJ Burns, so Maliq would be the small ball center for 10-15 mpg. And why would Maliq be that worried about Freeman at PF? The kid is a freshman. He’s good and he’s going to play. But there’s a chance he’s not even ready to play more than 20mpg (but hopefully be really effective in those minutes). So that still gives Maliq 35mpg. I don’t get what his problem/concern is about his role here. The coaching staff literally says publicly that he’s the most important piece of what we want to do here on offense AND defense (to quote Straughn). So what more do you want?

He's going to have his pick of any team in the country basically. He's a wonderful player. Hope the door isn't closed on a Cuse return.
Yeah he’s the kind of kid that pushes a contender over the top. Watch he and Q wind up at Clemson

Separate question then - is it a two person trade I.e. also bringing in the dude from Delaware for depth along with Lampkin given we already were chasing a big? A small ball 5 who backs up the 4 and the 5? To me that would be much easier to swallow even if I’m still far more in preference of having kept Maliq. That also keeps Donnie at the 4 or even the 3 at times if his shooting and handle is good enough for it in stints while using the new guy purely at the 4 and 5 behind Donnie/Lampkin.

I want to add I’m on team this absolutely blows if it’s a 1 to 1 trade and extremely dissapointed. Just figuring there has to be something else here to bolster the frontcourt.. I mean if not then uggh
I think you have to take it case by case in the bigger picture - thus far our frontcourt has lost Maliq and Taylor while adding a MCDAA and the Colorado kid who is a true 5. If you see that as a loss or gain is up to you.

As for the guards - negative so far but only because Q spot hasn't been filled unless Red rolls with the Frosh and Westry. The backcourt scares me more than the frontcourt because I don't believe in JJ.

Last edited:
He's going to have his pick of any team in the country basically. He's a wonderful player. Hope the door isn't closed on a Cuse return.

Agreed.

And then in a year, we'll be posting a "Love him or hate him" thread, lamenting him being a high level contributor on some team in the Elite Eight.

This is not a criticism of Red. It’s an observation about the overall disconnect between the player and the coaching staff.
We all want Brown back and are pissed about him leaving but to say Autry should just tell kids what they want to hear is ridiculous. If the dumbasses on this thread and I include myself were able to figure out the roster moves Autry is making you think Brown and his agents wouldn't figure it out in 10 mins the game's being played. Autry would lose all credibility with the HS recruits and the portal players.

Quickest way to piss me off as a fan or even prospective player is to have a coach that is a Snakeoil salesman. Autry laid out the facts and Brown didn't like having to compete with Freeman and Lampkin for minutes.

I don't blame him, one is the most talented PF in his class and the other is 6'11 275. The smart move is taking the guarantee he can get somewhere else. The smart move for him isn't the smart move for our team so we as fans are feeling the pain today.

I think you have to take it case by case in the bigger picture - thus far our frontcourt has lost Maliq and Taylor while adding a MCDAA and the Colorado kid who is a true 5. If you see that as a loss or gain is up to you.

As for the guards - negative so far but only because Q spot hasn't been filled unless Red roles with the Frosh and Westry. The backcourt scares me more than the frontcourt because I don't believe in JJ.

We need another forward then to replace Q. We’ve lost our two best most aggressive rebounders already and Taylor fought on the boards too…

Last edited:
This whole Maliq vs Freeman conversation is stupid. Just tell the players what they want to hear. It’s about doing a good sales job and convincing them of your vision. “Sure, you’ll start at PF and play 30-35mpg and be a centerpiece of what we’re doing on offense and defense.” then when the season starts, you do what the team needs to win, depending on how individual players are performing and how they’ve developed. Once the team is winning, it’s irrelevant and everyone is happy as long as they’re playing the majority of minutes in the game. Clingan, who’s better than all these guys we’re talking about, only played 13 mpg as a freshman. He accepted his role on a championship team behind a veteran in Sanogo, and now he’s the man as a sophomore and about to be a top 5 pick in the draft.
How long do you think you can get away with that once word gets around that you are a liar? Not long. Good luck getting players in the future.

Question regarding Lampkin - only saw him play a few times. Tough to judge because I thought Colorado had a pretty good team especially offensively, but the kid has some skills on that end that we have not had for a while. Wasn't scared to rebound. I think he is out of shape but our crackerjack S&C team will solve that no problem(kidding).

Not asking if he is better than Maliq but what is the major concern other than defense and basketball feel? He's not a shot blocker but neither is Maliq. Just curious for those who have seen him play a lot.

Let's tune in tonight for Donnie. I want to see the oncourt results next year before too much excitement. People are right to say oh these 5 stars never are fully as advertised for us, oh what about Benny. Freeman seems to be the complete package now and is not bring a trail of issues.

This is what I get when I google Benny's HS scouting report: Can struggle to utilize athleticism against contact and while in traffic.

Below is Freeman:

4. Freeman helping himself

Another player who has helped himself thus far, first in the practices and then in the scrimmages, is Syracuse signee Donnie Freeman. It started from the moment the players first walked onto the court Saturday night. How could that be? Because it immediately became clear whose height was an exaggeration and whose wasn't. Freeman is one of the tallest players here. The fact that he's been shooting the ball consistently from three and showing some lateral mobility for his size has only added to the intrigue thus far.

How long do you think you can get away with that once word gets around that you are a liar? Not long. Good luck getting players in the future.
Posted the same. I'm not sure why we waste the typing.

I guess it’s based on how they were being used. Or were planned on being used. You could easily figure out how to get bell, freeman, brown and any center in the game
Yes. And I bet that was the plan. But Brown didn't want that. And there is no center he would have agreed to that plan with. I'm going to go with Red knows more about basketball and what it takes to win more than the guys on this board. He has played the game. Gone to a 1000 clinics. And coached the game. If we land a center, Lampkin or otherwise, we will at least have a guy that plays the position. I along with everyone else wish Brown had stayed. Still might but with other coaches coming calling, less likely, but I'm not disappointed with this trade if that is what it comes down to.

Lampkin is visiting today . So I think it might be too late to try to keep Brown if Lampkin doesn’t commit.

Maybe the staff thinks they can fix his issues he has. The lack of block shots and turnovers can be worked on. Maybe his style of play causes him to not round up the blocks. I think this all can be improved upon. If we see it the staff already knows too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom