Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Brown will be a nice pick up for Duke. Probably come off the bench at least for next year. Be a solid role player there.

Moving guys off their spots on the block is part of playing defense. Maliq couldn’t move big, strong guys off their spots.
That’s the one thing he’s better than him at. Any team that spreads us out will smoke us on that end. That will be the game plan we see all next season.

What what?

Freeman being on the team made it nearly impossible to promise Maliq Brown the starting 4 position. Which is where he would be best served.

Brown is not a 5 on legitimate teams - which is obvious to anyone watching. Therefore, with Freeman in play and Lampkin on board, Brown's role was either super sub at the 4 and occasional 5 spot, or to look elsewhere.

I'm not sure what about my post is so difficult to understand.
You listed 3 players and then listed the same 3 players with an “or” between them.

Maliq seems like a great kid. No ego and no distractions. Hope he does well at his next stop...even if it's Duke. And of course I hope he plays terribly vs Cuse.

Well, I’m not sure what the fight is here. We all want the best team we can put in the floor right?

If anyone is suggesting that our ceiling is highest with Maliq at the 5 over a guy with Lampkins size then I’ll stop the conversation there because you’re nuts.

When the argument is “Brown is a sum positive over Lampkin”…I’m not sure I understand what their point is. Is that a suggestion that we should not be seeking a bigger, better 5 than Maliq? If it’s “I’d rather have a better option at the 5”…I can understand that. But you can’t go into battle against the best with Maliq at the 5.

A three player rotation of,
Lampkin/Freeman/Brown >>> Brown/Freeman/Davis

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t want the season to end because Armando Bacot goes 30/20 on us in the elite 8 because we don’t have anyone who can move him off his spot. This years team was Damone’s senior year all over again watching Kansas outrebound us by 30 in the tournament.

did you all watch the finals? Maliq brown has no place playing the 5 on an elite team. Either one of those centers was going to drop 40 on us

Red’s plan is to get bigger and more physical. Maliq was going to play mostly the 4, and very limited minutes at the 5. He’s transferring. If it’s Duke, guess what his roll will be? lol.

I’m not singling out Maliq at all, just pointing out a glaring weakness we had this year. Apparently the coaching staff saw the same weakness. I’m sure they have access to all the stats you do….and guess what…they went out and got a bigger center.

Guess why? Because all the metrics won’t stop Armando Bacot from planting his fat ass on the blocks and getting a critical basket or foul when his team needs it.

I love Maliq’s game. I wished he didn’t leave!. But he’s a defensive 4. That doesn’t change all the great things he did this year. No one is saying he’s a bad player, I’m not saying he’s a bad defender, but he was significantly better on the perimeter than the post.

There is more than one way to make defense work as a system.

We aren’t elite.

Lampkin won’t stop an Edey or Clingan either.

The coaches landed someone they could get. Not their ideal get.

And, again, if you think coming off the bench for the pre-season #1 is the same as coming off the bench for Cuse, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s apples and palm trees comparison.

This would baffle me. He would get equal to less playing time, probably less with that crazy class Duke has coming in. 8th man off the bench at Duke? I thought he wanted to start?
To play for Syracuse, yes. Not necessarily the case to play for Duke.

Maliq seems like a great kid. No ego and no distractions. Hope he does well at his next stop...even if it's Duke. And of course I hope he plays terribly vs Cuse.
Nah. If he goes to Duke he's dead to me and he was my favorite player. I'll never root for success for anyone in that program. DEAD.

Terrible look for Syracuse. Absolutely awful.

Additionally, if you look at just the conf games where I think he played center most of the time in. Best Defensive Win Shares on team and Best DRtg on team (other than if you count 3 games from McLeod and Benny).

So, again, the numbers don't add up to him not being effective. is he better at F? Absolutely.
Color me shocked that the defense was better with Brown at C than they were with Peter Carey, Mounir Hima, and Benny Williams playing as our C.

Color me shocked that the defense was better with Brown at C than they were with Peter Carey, Mounir Hima, and Benny Williams playing as our C.

He was literally our only competent player by the end of the season. I am / guess was a fan, but he's not OG Anunoby.

The team got bigger, longer, more athletic. Would rather he stay but there's a zillion portal guys, maybe who put up good stats for P5 programs that are doing the same.

Nah. If he goes to Duke he's dead to me and he was my favorite player. I'll never root for success for anyone in that program. DEAD.

Unpopular opinion of mine, but any player we want to stay but transfers is dead to me. I only continue to root for the guys who got pushed out, didn't play much or needed to change levels. Peter Carey to Siena being a good example. So far each year of the portal we've had at least one horrible look for Syracuse. But yeah Maliq going to Duke is as bad as it gets.

That’s the one thing he’s better than him at. Any team that spreads us out will smoke us on that end. That will be the game plan we see all next season.
I am definitely concerned by Lampkin's defense. I definitely expect him to hold his ground in the post better than Maliq could, but he will certainly be a worse help defender/doesn't address our rim protection issues at all (aside from potentially being able to keep other centers away from the rim better than Maliq could).

I would have definitely been concerned with our defense if Maliq were our C as well. As a center, they both severely limit the defense in their own ways.

We'll have to hope that (1) most teams don't have the types of personnel that can really make Lampkin pay for playing a deep drop defense and (2) that his effectiveness as an offensive hub makes up for it or at least balances it out.

He was literally our only competent player by the end of the season. I am / guess was a fan, but he's not OG Anunoby.

The team got bigger, longer, more athletic. Would rather he stay but there's a zillion portal guys, maybe who put up good stats for P5 programs that are doing the same.

A zillion guys that are doing the same but just our guy is visiting Duke?

What are the chances.

A zillion guys that are doing the same but just our guy is visiting Duke?

What are the chances.

Guys are moving between teams in the same conference, from a glance, or other lateral moves.

If you're worried about the Duke game next season they have other guys who seem pretty good.

Iron Dukes have a lot of cash, maybe it's just a payout. Doesn't really matter.

I am definitely concerned by Lampkin's defense. I definitely expect him to hold his ground in the post better than Maliq could, but he will certainly be a worse help defender/doesn't address our rim protection issues at all (aside from potentially being able to keep other centers away from the rim better than Maliq could).

I would have definitely been concerned with our defense if Maliq were our C as well. As a center, they both severely limit the defense in their own ways.

We'll have to hope that (1) most teams don't have the types of personnel that can really make Lampkin pay for playing a deep drop defense and (2) that his effectiveness as an offensive hub makes up for it or at least balances it out.
This is fair. Hopefully Lampkin cleans up the issues he had on offense last season which have barely been spoken about. He had 11 games with at least 4 turnovers. Maliq had 41 total on the season.

I'd probably be over Maliq leaving by now if he wasn't visiting Duke, but him going there is an awful look for Syracuse no matter how it's spun. It's like the football team losing guys in the portal to factories.

There is more than one way to make defense work as a system.

We aren’t elite.

Lampkin won’t stop an Edey or Clingan either.

The coaches landed someone they could get. Not their ideal get.

And, again, if you think coming off the bench for the pre-season #1 is the same as coming off the bench for Cuse, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s apples and palm trees comparison.
I echo your support of Maliq - I am curious though as to what you think he is valuing if Duke turns out to be the thing. I assume the bag is large and I am AMEN to any player who can cash in while they can.

I think you agree Maliq's NBA future is not strong so coming off the bench and most likely (though still unknown) playing much less, isn't a huge deal I guess because it's Duke.

So eliminating outlier stuff like closer to home, better development (?), etc. - in order it would be bag and brand over minutes? Again not coming at you, more interested in what we think Maliq's thought process is. Flagg and the center aren't coming off the floor so he better hope Flagg plays a lot of 3.

A bit harsh, but I'm in agreement about having zero interest rooting for him if that's where he goes.

Unpopular opinion of mine, but any player we want to stay but transfers is dead to me. I only continue to root for the guys who got pushed out, didn't play much or needed to change levels. Peter Carey to Siena being a good example. So far each year of the portal we've had at least one horrible look for Syracuse. But yeah Maliq going to Duke is as bad as it gets.
That's precisely where I am. When a guy sort of gets shoved out of the program, I feel for the kid and wish him well. When it's a Jesse kind of thing or Maliq going to Duke, they become the enemy in my mind. Really disappointed about this if it happens.

Dang Maliq is so likeable it’ll suck having to boo him playing for Duke, but it is what it is. Transfer definitely creating a ton of parody.

Guys like Brown should finish their career here. If they don't it's a problem to me. Imagine if UConn lost Sanogo to UNC after his Sophomore year because they were bringing in Clingan and decided to keep Akok Akok instead.

If it's a bag good for him, but I know Benny got a good chunk of change for doing nothing last year and fans would have flipped out if he left despite him providing next to nothing for 3 years and now this team is built around a 2 and a 3 who can't play defense.

I like Red, but color me skeptical on the roster plan this offseason. I hope it works out. I'll gladly eat crow.

Last edited:
I like Red, but color me skeptical on the roster plan this offseason. I hope it works out. I'll gladly eat crow.
Not sure what you're looking for then. I'm not suggesting that we got the best guys who are in the portal, but it's clear that Red is trying to assemble a team where guys are playing their natural position rather than what's happened the last several years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom