Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I was wrong. Won’t be the last time.

Just busting on you. I saw your post after that that he was your favorite player. Same here. This new era is going make me care less about the players, maybe even watching college sports in general. When I have a favorite player on a pro sports team I’m likely going to get to see them play for at least 3-5 years. Not so in college anymore.

I've tried to stay out of this discussion, due to my disappointment about Brown's departure, and the fact that he's my favorite player on the team these past two years.

But I think some of it has to do with some posters not recognizing what he brought to the table, and how unique his skill set was. He's a unicorn. An amazingly versatile player, who passes much better than a big man should be able to, defends in a unique way for a player his size, and has a preternatural hoops IQ that always allowed him to think one step ahead and be in the right place at the right time.

The trap that a lot of posters seem to fall into is looking at him and saying -- eh, he only scored ~9.5 ppg -- that's replaceable. Or concentrating on him not being ideal for a center in certain situational matchups. Or look at incoming Freeman, and rationalize that we're better off with him at the 4 than Maliq anyway.

But when I look at those advanced stats on BOTH sides of the ball...

When you watch the kid play and see how impactful he is, doing things that most big men can't...

I just don't think that many fans recognize what a unique talent Maliq was. I mean, this season he accomplished something that's only been done in the NBA something like 10 times in the last 25 years. Maliq's skills set is so different, so diversified, so unusual, that people under-value the package.

Sickens me that he's potentially going to be bringing those skill sets to Duke. As I said when the announcement first came out that he'd entered the portal, he could start for any team in the country -- and he's the type of player who might not be a team's focal point, but who could elevate a contending team and put them over the top. And that appears to be how things are playing out.

Sickening.

This^^^
It's a major loss, no doubt about it. And honestly I just can't figure out why some keep downplaying or denigrating Maliq's special skill set. He's a unique and exceptional player, and we will miss him.
Also, I hope Freeman steps right in and contributes right away. But color me jaded about any freshman not named Carmelo Anthony having a major impact on the team. We shall see

Last edited:
Another telling thing about this era - I'm willing to bet most of the Syracuse players are thrilled for Maliq that he'll play for Duke, whereas the old guard - guys like Devo - would have nothing to do with you if you transferred to an in-conference foe (listen to his podcast on the portal).
Checked Maliq’s instagram comments, and yup the mercenaries wearing Orange love this. Super!

Why is it a bad take? I hope he doesn't get injured after that I could care less if he plays well or not?
I said the same about Judah and got wrecked around here. Buckle up.

I really liked Brown, his quiet business like approach, wlllingness to play the crucial role he did here to do what would help the team as a whole. That said, I had hoped it equated to loyalty, a belief in what SU, Red and the staff were attempting to accomplish here, giving his quiet work ethic payback to the staff who believed in him, recruited him here. According to this article below, Brown said he was returning. Disappointing, it changed so quickly. Guess there aren’t really exceptions to seeking greater promises, more money with the lure of more prestige and that’s on me. He became special here, totally out-playing his high school recruiting rank when given the opportunity at SU. Hope he remembers that - it all started here and accelerated here. It had to be a challenging year last year for him with the noise surrounding some of his teammates and the loss after the season of JT, GMac etc. Hoping we beat Duke and that we continue to show we’re rebuilding something special here and sorry that he decided it would be without him and without those who saw something special in him first.

I really liked Brown, his quiet business like approach, wlllingness to play the crucial role he did here to do what would help the team as a whole. That said, I had hoped it equated to loyalty, a belief in what SU, Red and the staff were attempting to accomplish here, giving his quiet work ethic payback to the staff who believed in him, recruited him here. According to this article below, Brown said he was returning. Disappointing, it changed so quickly. Guess there aren’t really exceptions to seeking greater promises, more money with the lure of more prestige and that’s on me. He became special here, totally out-playing his high school recruiting rank when given the opportunity at SU. Hope he remembers that - it all started here and accelerated here. It had to be a challenging year last year for him with the noise surrounding some of his teammates and the loss after the season of JT, GMac etc. Hoping we beat Duke and that we continue to show we’re rebuilding something special here and sorry that he decided it would be without him and without those who saw something special in him first.

Seems to me the reason we lost him was because Red wasn't quick enough to get a legitimate center, and able to convince Maliq that he would get most of his time at PF, even with Donnie coming in.

I told people Donnie could play all 3 front court spots. With Bell and Naheem, that would have been a very strong front court. Now, we still need another F, IMO.

Seems to me the reason we lost him was because Red wasn't quick enough to get a legitimate center, and able to convince Maliq that he would get most of his time at PF, even with Donnie coming in.

I told people Donnie could play all 3 front court spots. With Bell and Naheem, that would have been a very strong front court. Now, we still need another F, IMO.
We have 3 centers and 3 fowards and add in Westry/Cuffe in the 3 guard type lineup. We need a PG, period. Any front court player would be depth. Would be nice to get some sort of defender.

Loyalty is a two way street. SU “cheated” when they recruited over him.
Freeman committed before this past season and was offered in June 2021 right after Brown’s offer in February, 2021. They knew that each other was being recruited by Syracuse. That’s not even counting Benny Williams who could have been here through next year.

It was all about money . He developed in this program became ALL ACC here

Well watch Eddie back him down and score, repeatedly.
He would, if Maliq played the 5. But every time he didnt score Maliq would've poked the ball out and im assuming we'd stop feeding an almost automatic turnover if he isnt directly under the basket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom