Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Crazy to see on Duke forums there could be any amount of gloom over the last few weeks.

Incoming recruits ranking
#1 ovr
#3 ovr
#12 ovr
#17 ovr
#18 ovr
#51 ovr

And Maliq. Probably not done yet. How the sky was falling before maliq.

But...
Duke signed an SU player in the portal!
A good benchmark regarding the quality of our players, right?
Right?

I really appreciated Maliq and hated losing him to the portal; however, there is no friction in the system (sitting out) so the marginal cost / marginal benefit analysis is simple. If he is coming off of the bench at SU and playing 25 minutes a game and making say 150k in NIL money and being a focal point of the opposing team defense versus coming off the bench at Duke and playing 20 minutes a game with a much stronger supporting cast that provides him a greater opportunity to shine, 3 hrs from home and making 300k in NIL money, why is his decision so unfathomable? Plus he is getting a degree from a top 10 university. This does not reflect poorly on SU in my opinion. His stars aligned. It happens. I hope he excels (except when he plays SU). If a transfer is required to sit out a year but can still earn NIL money, I suspect the activity level would be much less.

I really appreciated Maliq and hated losing him to the portal; however, there is no friction in the system (sitting out) so the marginal cost / marginal benefit analysis is simple. If he is coming off of the bench at SU and playing 25 minutes a game and making say 150k in NIL money and being a focal point of the opposing team defense versus coming off the bench at Duke and playing 20 minutes a game with a much stronger supporting cast that provides him a greater opportunity to shine, 3 hrs from home and making 300k in NIL money, why is his decision so unfathomable? Plus he is getting a degree from a top 10 university. This does not reflect poorly on SU in my opinion. His stars aligned. It happens. I hope he excels (except when he plays SU). If a transfer is required to sit out a year but can still earn NIL money, I suspect the activity level would be much less.
Good Lord. Embarrassing so many of our fans suck the Duke mystique. We deserve to stink.

Last edited:
I don't understand the total enmity about Duke. Are we supposed to be "extra po'd" because its Duke? They've never been our rival and I could care less about their program- there are several others I hate much more.
By almost all measures this was a great move for Maliq, so power to him. As cbb starts its death spiral with NIL, etc...you can't hate the player, hate the game.

Last edited:
I don't understand the total enmity about Duke. Are we supposed to be "extra po'd" because its Duke? They've never been our rival and I could care less about their program- they're others I hate much more.
By almost all measures this was a great move for Maliq, so power to him. As cbb starts it death spiral with NIL, etc...you can't hate the player, hate the game.
I don’t believe that Syracuse has a rival school any more since joining the ACC. Tried to maintain one with Georgetown but like Syracuse they were slow (slower than Syracuse) to adapt to the changing times of college basketball. Duke is perceived by Syracuse to be an equal rival. We have not been for a long time. We are an afterthought to Duke as well as to the overall ACC old guard.

Strong rivalities with teams like St. John’s, Villanova, Georgetown (discussed above) just withered away with the absence of games as well as with lack in establishing new ACC rivals. Hopes of establishing rivalries with Duke and NC never were realized. Even previous rivalries with Big East foes BC and Pittsburgh faded while in the ACC. Gone also are the colorful head basketball coaches of schools we established rivalries.

Granted there are reasons for all of the above but basketball suffered greatly over the time in the ACC. Syracuse came into the ACC with the idea that we would be among the leaders of the ACC. Recruiting went down where once Syracuse was viewed as a desired destination. Syracuse initial years in the ACC showed promise but it was clear that the decline was occurring. All this happened because it was/is a belief that Syracuse is football driven school And going to the ACC would increase football revenues. Maybe it will be a prominent football team again with the new football head coach.

Now Syracuse is in the middle to the low end of the ACC basketball standings and has been for a few years. By the way, the ACC is also in a decline and has slipped from a premium conference to a lower level one.

I wish Coach Autry well in his efforts to right the ship. It does not happen over night. It takes time to right and maintain the path of this ship.

Last edited:
As cbb starts it death spiral with NIL, etc...you can't hate the player, hate the game.
I’m here, I hate the game. It’s crazy how much Syracuse basketball used to mean to me and how quickly that is changing.

Maliq was easily my favorite player this year and I have no qualms with hoping he gets buried on their bench behind freshman. We won’t be competitive with Duke next year, I just hope Maliq isn’t a key to beating us like Joe G was.

It’s a terrible look for Maliq Brown.
Yeah, went from a team that has missed the tournament 3 years straight (and hasn’t even been close) to a top 5 preseason team and is getting PAID. What a terrible look for Maliq.

He’s starting at Duke

I don't understand the total enmity about Duke. Are we supposed to be "extra po'd" because its Duke? They've never been our rival and I could care less about their program- there are several others I hate much more.
By almost all measures this was a great move for Maliq, so power to him. As cbb starts it death spiral with NIL, etc...you can't hate the player, hate the game.
He transferred to a conference rival. That’s crossing a line.

This has little to do with NIL or the transfer portal. Maliq got recruited over.
In the past he probably would have transferred and sat out a year in the same situation. And I don't blame him.

He transferred to a conference rival. That’s crossing a line.
Oh, you mean somewhat like JG3? Or because it was Clemson, it didn't matter as much? Just sayin...

I've been following the thread and trying to figure out exactly why Maliq left.

Then I look at the picture of him in the Duke uniform, which makes me want to cry, and I see him smiling.

How often did we see him smile all last year? Watching him put in an excellent job in a position he really didn't want to play was an example of true team effort. But not one that was making him happy.

He'll smile more often at Duke in a position he wants to play. The NIL money will be a bonus.

Amd
Crazy to see on Duke forums there could be any amount of gloom over the last few weeks.

Incoming recruits ranking
#1 ovr
#3 ovr
#12 ovr
#17 ovr
#18 ovr
#51 ovr

And Maliq. Probably not done yet. How the sky was falling before maliq.
And they still wont make final 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom