Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Oh, you mean somewhat like JG3? Or because it was Clemson, it didn't matter as much? Just sayin...
Not the same. We basically picked JJ over him. Our own fans and some SU “media” outlets singing wish Maliq’s admiration is pathetic. Are we in the Patriot league now? We may as well be the way some are posting around here and on twitter.

I don’t believe that Syracuse has a rival school any more since joining the ACC. Tried to maintain one with Georgetown but like Syracuse they were slow (slower than Syracuse) to adapt to the changing times of college basketball. Duke is perceived by Syracuse to be an equal rival. We have not been for a long time. We are an afterthought to Duke as well as to the overall ACC old guard.

Strong rivalities with teams like St. John’s, Villanova, Georgetown (discussed above) just withered away with the absence of games as well as with lack in establishing new ACC rivals. Hopes of establishing rivalries with Duke and NC never were realized. Even previous rivalries with Big East foes BC and Pittsburgh faded while in the ACC. Gone also are the colorful head basketball coaches of schools we established rivalries.

Granted there are reasons for all of the above but basketball suffered greatly over the time in the ACC. Syracuse came into the ACC with the idea that we would be among the leaders of the ACC. Recruiting went down where once Syracuse was viewed as a desired destination. Syracuse initial years in the ACC showed promise but it was clear that the decline was occurring. All this happened because it was/is a belief that Syracuse is football driven school And going to the ACC would increase football revenues. Maybe it will be a prominent football team again with the new football head coach.

Now Syracuse is in the middle to the low end of the ACC basketball standings and has been for a few years. By the way, the ACC is also in a decline and has slipped from a premium conference to a lower level one.

I wish Coach Autry well in his efforts to right the ship. It does not happen over night. It takes time to right and maintain the path of this ship.
The above is spot-on. Although born and raised in Syracuse, I spent 8 years in Durham in the 1980s. Duke has one major rival - UNC. Duke had three other must win games….NC State (for obvious reasons), GTech (because of Bobby Cremin and his sleazy recruiting) and Maryland (because of Duke alumn Lefty Driesel and his similar sleazy recruiting practices). Wake, Clemson and UVA were afterthoughts. Coach Boeheim did his best to be a villain when he went beserk in Cameron, but the subsequent waning of the next several years of teams let the pasta fall off the wall. We are where we but I have faith (especially after this year) Coach Autry will rebuild it. This was a good first season and year given the change hebwants to undertake and the hand he was dealt: Listen to his interview with Devo and KrisJo. He is a man with a new sensible plan and will stick to it. I believe he could win 23 games this season provided Chance and Naheem are good to go. Let’s hope he can also bag 3 solid recruits. And the momentum can continue to build.

I don't understand the total enmity about Duke. Are we supposed to be "extra po'd" because its Duke? They've never been our rival and I could care less about their program- there are several others I hate much more.
By almost all measures this was a great move for Maliq, so power to him. As cbb starts its death spiral with NIL, etc...you can't hate the player, hate the game.
yes you can hate, they are professionals now, getting paid like the pros. I hope he sees plenty of pine and fails miserably, just like I hope Saquon Barkley stinks it up with Philly as a NYG fan.

Not the same. We basically picked JJ over him. Our own fans and some SU “media” outlets singing wish Maliq’s admiration is pathetic. Are we in the Patriot league now? We may as well be the way some are posting around here and on twitter.
We haven’t acted like a big time program for over a decade.

I’m in the minority it appears but I’m sick of everyone wishing Brown well like he had it so bad here. I get that it’s free agency. But I hate the pontificating fans who tell us that we need to wish Brown well at Duke. I don’t want Duke to do well. I hate the program. So I’m not rooting for their players, regardless of whether they used to play here.

We don’t know him anything. We took him as a low three star and he improved tremendously here. He got as much time as he could handle this year and would have next year as well. He chose to go elsewhere, which is his right. But it wasn’t like we did anything wrong to him here. he would’ve played the four next year maybe played a few minutes at the five which people are acting like it’s cruel and unusual punishment. It’s called playing as a team.

I’m in the minority it appears but I’m sick of everyone wishing Brown well like he had it so bad here. I get that it’s free agency. But I hate the pontificating fans who tell us that we need to wish Brown well at Duke. I don’t want Duke to do well. I hate the program. So I’m not rooting for their players, regardless of whether they used to play here.

We don’t know him anything. We took him as a low three star and he improved tremendously here. He got as much time as he could handle this year and would have next year as well. He chose to go elsewhere, which is his right. But it wasn’t like we did anything wrong to him here. he would’ve played the four next year maybe played a few minutes at the five which people are acting like it’s cruel and unusual punishment. It’s called playing as a team.
Scott, I guess that we are showing loyalty and class to a player that performed very well for our team and we wish him well.

it is a shame that the player in this case selected a team in the same league and did not have the decency to show any loyalty back.

Actually wondering if he spoke to any other teams because I thought he would have been a candidate for James Madison also.

It’s the same. I’ll concede going to Duke is worse. Same ballpark.

Scott, I guess that we are showing loyalty and class to a player that performed very well for our team and we wish him well.

it is a shame that the player in this case selected a team in the same league and did not have the decency to show any loyalty back.

Actually wondering if he spoke to any other teams because I thought he would have been a candidate for James Madison also.
Why show loyalty and class to someone when it’s not returned?

No one sees the irony that everyone is happy about guy that left Delaware high and dry for us after they took a chance on a kid who did nothing at Providence?

we are to Duke what Mt St Marys (hopefully) and Delaware is to us.

great, huh? Just accept there is no loyalty and move on.

No one sees the irony that everyone is happy about guy that left Delaware high and dry for us after they took a chance on a kid who did nothing at Providence?

we are to Duke what Mt St Marys (hopefully) and Delaware is to us.

great, huh? Just accept there is no loyalty and move on.
Not the same. Duke is a conference rival. I didn’t consider Guerrier to be a traitor.

Yeah, went from a team that has missed the tournament 3 years straight (and hasn’t even been close) to a top 5 preseason team and is getting PAID. What a terrible look for Maliq.
Nice strawman.

I don’t believe that Syracuse has a rival school any more since joining the ACC. Tried to maintain one with Georgetown but like Syracuse they were slow (slower than Syracuse) to adapt to the changing times of college basketball. Duke is perceived by Syracuse to be an equal rival. We have not been for a long time. We are an afterthought to Duke as well as to the overall ACC old guard.

Strong rivalities with teams like St. John’s, Villanova, Georgetown (discussed above) just withered away with the absence of games as well as with lack in establishing new ACC rivals. Hopes of establishing rivalries with Duke and NC never were realized. Even previous rivalries with Big East foes BC and Pittsburgh faded while in the ACC. Gone also are the colorful head basketball coaches of schools we established rivalries.

Granted there are reasons for all of the above but basketball suffered greatly over the time in the ACC. Syracuse came into the ACC with the idea that we would be among the leaders of the ACC. Recruiting went down where once Syracuse was viewed as a desired destination. Syracuse initial years in the ACC showed promise but it was clear that the decline was occurring. All this happened because it was/is a belief that Syracuse is football driven school And going to the ACC would increase football revenues. Maybe it will be a prominent football team again with the new football head coach.

Now Syracuse is in the middle to the low end of the ACC basketball standings and has been for a few years. By the way, the ACC is also in a decline and has slipped from a premium conference to a lower level one.

I wish Coach Autry well in his efforts to right the ship. It does not happen over night. It takes time to right and maintain the path of this ship.

No less than 40% of this is inaccurate

Amd

And they still wont make final 4
Came here to say that Scheyers seat is going to get hot real fast if he can’t turn the 5 star frosh recruits into a team that can win a Natty. Talk about big shoes to fill.

He’s in year two and has shown he can win an ACCT and get to an elite 8 but he’s also watched Davis take UNC to the runner up game losing to Kansas and now NC state & Keates out of nowhere take his mercenary portal team to the final 4 over him.

Right now the Duke Good Ol Boys are losing patience that even with the best talent in the league they aren’t making deeper runs.

Good for Brown getting a huge bag in the ACC to babysit a front court of 18 year old 5 star Duke kids. It’s hard to fault him for that. It’s not like any of the guys he came in with at Cuse stayed either. Besides Bell of course.

We all loved brown because he was the best of the bunch two years ago and he could really hoop. Let’s get real tho too he played 60+ games for us over two years and we never sniffed being ranked or won a postseason game. Thats not him but it is on Autryto improve.

Welcome to the new age of college basketball. Free agency is annual. Kids are offer 100s and 100s of thousands of dollars to change jobs/teams every year in a cut throat business atmosphere. And I dont blame them. Its not amateur athletics, its business, and huge paydays are at stake. And yes, it SUCKS, its not even recognizable to the sport I grew up with. There are no rivalries for us anymore. I hate this iteration of college basketball with the fire of a thousand suns, but here we are. If you want to blame someone blame the NCAA for letting this get to the point it has or your local politicians for allowing amateur athletics to get to this point. These kids are doing what anyone in their place would do. In my opinion its not the kids that are "broken", its the system.

Came here to say that Scheyers seat is going to get hot real fast if he can’t turn the 5 star frosh recruits into a team that can win a Natty. Talk about big shoes to fill.

He’s in year two and has shown he can win an ACCT and get to an elite 8 but he’s also watched Davis take UNC to the runner up game losing to Kansas and now NC state & Keates out of nowhere take his mercenary portal team to the final 4 over him.

Right now the Duke Good Ol Boys are losing patience that even with the best talent in the league they aren’t making deeper runs.

Good for Brown getting a huge bag in the ACC to babysit a front court of 18 year old 5 star Duke kids. It’s hard to fault him for that. It’s not like any of the guys he came in with at Cuse stayed either. Besides Bell of course.

We all loved brown because he was the best of the bunch two years ago and he could really hoop. Let’s get real tho too he played 60+ games for us over two years and we never sniffed being ranked or won a postseason game. Thats not him but it is on Autryto improve.
This his year.will get very sloppy if he flame out. Good luck Jon

Welcome to the new age of college basketball. Free agency is annual. Kids are offer 100s and 100s of thousands of dollars to change jobs/teams every year in a cut throat business atmosphere. And I dont blame them. Its not amateur athletics, its business, and huge paydays are at stake. And yes, it SUCKS, its not even recognizable to the sport I grew up with. There are no rivalries for us anymore. I hate this iteration of college basketball with the fire of a thousand suns, but here we are. If you want to blame someone blame the NCAA for letting this get to the point it has or your local politicians for allowing amateur athletics to get to this point. These kids are doing what anyone in their place would do. In my opinion its not the kids that are "broken", its the system.
Well said. I would go a step further and say that most schools are really only pretending to keep their old rivalries alive. It’s not real, it’s for espn to talk about but the students don’t really care. Rivalry games are a thing of the past not just because 80% of a team is different every year but also because the conference realignments and the coaching carousels. Very year is different. Its not just Cuse.

The best we can do is pack out the dome and support the guys that do strap on the orange. Donnie Freebird is the highest ranked recruit we’ve had in the modern era. Autry was the only new Coach in a P5 conference to win 20 games. Fran Brown has brought in the better recruiting class for Cuse than we could’ve imagined possible a year ago.

Quit $itching about back in the day, suck it up and do what you can to support the guys that are staying.

I guess the bottom line on Maliq is that Duke plans on playing him at his natural position and Cuse wasn’t. It’s only going to be a bad look for Cuse if Maliq has a big year at the 4. Hate that he left but hard to blame him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom