Market for Tickets in 2016/Season Tickets?? | Syracusefan.com

Market for Tickets in 2016/Season Tickets??

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
Seasoned ticket holders, how strong do you think the market will be for the premiere games this year? What do you think the secondary market will be like for tickets this year? On stubhub tickets for the Georgetown game are already $60 in the 300's, for the Duke game they're around $100 for 300 level seats.

Do you think the market will hold? I'm considering pulling the trigger on a pair of season tickets in the 313-315 section range probably rows A-H, which would be $500 a seat and trying to subsidize the cost of the seats to about $200-250 by selling tickets to the Duke, Georgetown and Louisville/Pitt game.

Good idea? Or should I stick with the SU student season ticket plan which gets me 1/2 the games for $200 (My wife and I are grad students at SU, and under the SU student season ticket plan you can only go to games when SU's in academic session). Or, does anyone know what they'll be offering for basketball "mini packages"? The link under cuse.com says to check back later in the fall.

Last edited:
Bump. There aren't any season ticket holders that either sell off a few tickets each year, or want to weigh in??

I think it'll be weak. A lot of factors need to be in place for there to be strong resale demand for Wednesday games and December games. Even in recent years when we were top-ten and drew over 25,000 for Georgetown on a weeknight, that was the exception to the norm. The home schedule this year isn't very attractive for casual fans.

Anything could happen if we have a long undefeated streak, but that's not something I'd rely on.

I have never tried to sell mine but I know people who do, and if the team is in the top 25 and doing well, and your seats are good, you should have no problem reselling at a profit for attractive opponents.

The seats you are thinking about buying will be hard sells for most games. I would guess you could get face value for most of the ACC opponents but I think you need a crowd of over 26K to make a good profit. I believe there were only 2 last year but I think that will change this season.

Surely, Gtown and Duke will get over 30K...we didn't do that once last season. St Johns is on a Wednesday with the students out. We will be lucky to get 26K for it.

Virginia and FSU are on weekends and if we are in the top 10 might get 30K. I would include UL game (Monday) and the GT home finale game on Saturday as candidates too. Pitt is on a Saturday and should get in the same 28K range as last year. Maybe higher if they have a good year. We have BC on a Saturday too. Might get 28K for that one if SU is playing as well as I think they will.

Even if the team does well and the crowds are strong (I personally expect us to beat out Kentucky and take the attendance crown again), if you plan to use Stubhub or other Internet based resellers, they take so much of your profit, it will be hard to break even or make a profit. But I think it could be done.

Selling direct using newspaper ads, the ticket board here, Craig's List, etc. will get you more money but also take a lot more time. If you have the time, I think you can make some money.

I have never tried to sell mine but I know people who do, and if the team is in the top 25 and doing well, and your seats are good, you should have no problem reselling at a profit for attractive opponents.

The seats you are thinking about buying will be hard sells for most games. I would guess you could get face value for most of the ACC opponents but I think you need a crowd of over 26K to make a good profit. I believe there were only 2 last year but I think that will change this season.

Surely, Gtown and Duke will get over 30K...we didn't do that once last season. St Johns is on a Wednesday with the students out. We will be lucky to get 26K for it.

Virginia and FSU are on weekends and if we are in the top 10 might get 30K. I would include UL game (Monday) and the GT home finale game on Saturday as candidates too. Pitt is on a Saturday and should get in the same 28K range as last year. Maybe higher if they have a good year. We have BC on a Saturday too. Might get 28K for that one if SU is playing as well as I think they will.

Even if the team does well and the crowds are strong (I personally expect us to beat out Kentucky and take the attendance crown again), if you plan to use Stubhub or other Internet based resellers, they take so much of your profit, it will be hard to break even or make a profit. But I think it could be done.

Selling direct using newspaper ads, the ticket board here, Craig's List, etc. will get you more money but also take a lot more time. If you have the time, I think you can make some money.

I admire the optimism, Tom, but I'm skeptical about those predictions. Again, sometimes we get a good bump when the team's on a long winning streak (we're only 3 years removed from our best attendance in decades), but we haven't drawn 30,000 for a weeknight or Christmas game in over 25 years. Maybe this is the year that changes, but I'm not sure that's likely. A team like St. John's will probably draw closer to 20,000 than 26,000.

The Virginia game, by the way, is an inexcusable scheduling mistake as far as I'm concerned. Rematch of a regional final and they give us a noon game? That'll have a big effect on attendance. Unfortunate.

I admire the optimism, Tom, but I'm skeptical about those predictions. Again, sometimes we get a good bump when the team's on a long winning streak (we're only 3 years removed from our best attendance in decades), but we haven't drawn 30,000 for a weeknight or Christmas game in over 25 years. Maybe this is the year that changes, but I'm not sure that's likely. A team like St. John's will probably draw closer to 20,000 than 26,000.

The Virginia game, by the way, is an inexcusable scheduling mistake as far as I'm concerned. Rematch of a regional final and they give us a noon game? That'll have a big effect on attendance. Unfortunate.
Regarding Christmas games, I think said the St Johns game would be lucky to get 26K.

Based my comments on Georgetown and Duke based on reports there are not many tickets remaining (singles only for Duke?). If those reports are wrong, the estimates are going to be wrong too. In the recent past, when we get reports like this, we end up with crowds of over 30K.

I wish the UVa game was a night game. It will affect attendance. And it will be interesting to see if they move the meter more given their recent excellence and the recent memorable games against them.

So much depends on how the team does. I think this is a top 10 team. Time will tell.

Regarding Christmas games, I think said the St Johns game would be lucky to get 26K.

Based my comments on Georgetown and Duke based on reports there are not many tickets remaining (singles only for Duke?). If those reports are wrong, the estimates are going to be wrong too. In the recent past, when we get reports like this, we end up with crowds of over 30K.

I wish the UVa game was a night game. It will affect attendance. And it will be interesting to see if they move the meter more given their recent excellence and the recent memorable games against them.

So much depends on how the team does. I think this is a top 10 team. Time will tell.

I did the STH pre buy, there weren't Duke tickets available. I was able to get six GTown for $100 each, but there weren't any quantity available in the $50 sections.

Interesting - I didn't know that, my prediction is based mostly on history (only two December 30,000 crowds ever in the Dome - Jordan/Smith/Perkins/Daugherty/Doherty in 1983 and Temple in 1989; no crowd higher than 27,820 for a weeknight since 1993, and maybe none over 30,000 ever (I'd have to check my notes on that one)). But actual information is a different thing altogether, if it's accurate.

So that'd be great if Georgetown and Duke sales are moving so early.

You're right that it depends on how we do. In the last 25 years, our teams that win and rise in the rankings tend to draw well, while November and December losses hurt attendance for the rest of the season.

I think it'll be weak. A lot of factors need to be in place for there to be strong resale demand for Wednesday games and December games. Even in recent years when we were top-ten and drew over 25,000 for Georgetown on a weeknight, that was the exception to the norm. The home schedule this year isn't very attractive for casual fans.

Anything could happen if we have a long undefeated streak, but that's not something I'd rely on.

I would disagree with this statement... I think last year's home schedule would fit that bill, hence the lower attendance numbers. But this year's schedule with Duke, Georgetown, Virginia, Louisville, etc. should bring a higher demand. Even with the crappy start times.

A 300 level seat that isn't in the long-range view sections will easily go for $100 a piece for G'town and Duke, in my opinion, likely a lot more.

For the presale, face value for Duke was $75 and G'town was $50, so $100 would not be a large jump compared to what I've seen before. Like others have said, the Dome will almost definitely have 30k+ for both games. The Duke game could, in all seriousness, be a battle of two top 5 teams fighting to win the ACC regular season. Hell, it might be a battle between #1 and #2 in the nation. Conservatively, I'd say you're going to pocket $200 per seat if you sell these two games. That brings the cost down to $300 per seat for the rest of the games, in the worst case scenario, not including what you could make from L'ville and/or Pitt.

The tiered pricing is working in your favor. Duke and G'town aren't $35 face value tickets. I'd be amazed if Duke tickets in 313-315 don't go for $200+ per seat by the time the game gets close.

A 300 level seat that isn't in the long-range view sections will easily go for $100 a piece for G'town and Duke, in my opinion, likely a lot more.

For the presale, face value for Duke was $75 and G'town was $50, so $100 would not be a large jump compared to what I've seen before. Like others have said, the Dome will almost definitely have 30k+ for both games. The Duke game could, in all seriousness, be a battle of two top 5 teams fighting to win the ACC regular season. Hell, it might be a battle between #1 and #2 in the nation. Conservatively, I'd say you're going to pocket $200 per seat if you sell these two games. That brings the cost down to $300 per seat for the rest of the games, in the worst case scenario, not including what you could make from L'ville and/or Pitt.

The tiered pricing is working in your favor. Duke and G'town aren't $35 face value tickets. I'd be amazed if Duke tickets in 313-315 don't go for $200+ per seat by the time the game gets close.

This is similar to my line of thinking. I'm bullish on the market. The Duke game is four months out and the cheapest ticket right now on StubHub is over $100.

This is similar to my line of thinking. I'm bullish on the market. The Duke game is four months out and the cheapest ticket right now on StubHub is over $100.
I have season tickets and only go to about 10 to 12 home games. I try to sell the rest but most of the directional schools only command about $5 or $10. You really can't do it and expect to make a profit by selling off the non league games. I try to hit the top games because that was the reason I made the plunge. I was sick of scrambling to get tickets that were half way decent for a half way decent price.

I like going no matter who they are playing, but there is no question that the Dome amps up for the marquee games. I personally wouldn't buy my season tickets if I knew going into it that I would be selling some of those top games. But, that's me. It's an investment. But if it's your passion, then you have to throw the money factor out the window.

duke tickets were all over the place for the first game they played here.. the market was under $100 for the most part and fell down to around $50 towards the end. if you got tickets out for sale early you did better but many tried to make a killing and people held off until very late and the price dropped like crazy.

duke tickets were all over the place for the first game they played here.. the market was under $100 for the most part and fell down to around $50 towards the end. if you got tickets out for sale early you did better but many tried to make a killing and people held off until very late and the price dropped like crazy.

I don't remember anything below $150 for the first Duke game unless you were sitting on the other side of the bleachers.

i paid $100 in 317 the day before the game. the price went down the next morning, but it was all over as some tried to dump tickets and some tried to wait for desperate people to jump in, location was everything.

who knows what demand will bring.. if SU is good it will keep demand up. there wont be the same frenzy from being the first time though.

Yeah the secondary market is going to be ridiculous this year. As JB said, buy your tickets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom