Marrone To The Jags... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

Would taking an oath of loyalty for all current and future coaches make people feel better? It's business- outside of the very rare guy like JimmyB loyalty does not exist in sports
There are degrees and all these guys are not alike. Some actually stick around until they have achieved something. He billed himself as something different and he was not. No getting away from it. So. he is just a hired hand to me - a commodity and he is finding out how commodities get treated when there is a lot of supply better than you.

My point is that Marrone left a job unfinished at SU and now again at Buffalo. He did well financially with his meager record - good for him. Would anyone really want him now knowing what a thin skinned flat leaver he is? Apparently not as evidenced by his recent job search. The staff that went with him are all big boys and they pushed their chips into the middle of the table and most lost this hand. I think he is a good coach with an exceptional eye for talent, but I would'nt want him in my lifeboat. Would he push me overboard when I slept? Probably not, but he would eat all the food and drink all the water. Still dead in the end.

Just stop. You have no idea why he soured on the job here.

My point is that Marrone left a job unfinished at SU and now again at Buffalo. He did well financially with his meager record - good for him. Would anyone really want him now knowing what a thin skinned flat leaver he is? Apparently not as evidenced by his recent job search. The staff that went with him are all big boys and they pushed their chips into the middle of the table and most lost this hand. I think he is a good coach with an exceptional eye for talent, but I would'nt want him in my lifeboat. Would he push me overboard when I slept? Probably not, but he would eat all the food and drink all the water. Still dead in the end.

This post is incredibly ridiculous. Especially the end part.

You make him out like he would he eat his own children. Good lord man.

He didn't save the program - record wise it's where he found it. He did a good job while he was here, wish he stayed but I find it laughable that he didn't understand fundraising and the limitations of SU (where he went) were part of the job.

You think THOSE were the issues?

That's laughable.

And you think that the program was in the same shape when he left as when he picked it up?

Good lord.

That has nothing to do with football. The program isn't much better than he found it. Heck, DM inherited an NFL QB.

Who the coach is and how well he manages the program has nothing to do with football?

He didn't inherit and NFL QB, he made one.

This post is incredibly ridiculous. Especially the end part.

You make him out like he would he eat his own children. Good lord man.
And some people on here act like he was the second coming. He is just another greedy coach. Hitch your fortunes to him and wait for his email/text message saying goodbye.

We would have been better off with Randy. Better coach and at least he got to a CBS bowl.

We would have been better off with Randy. Better coach and at least he got to a CBS bowl.

The guy who left his previous job after a bowl game without returning to campus with his team? You sure have an interesting interpretation of loyalty, but to each his own.

You think THOSE were the issues?

That's laughable.

And you think that the program was in the same shape when he left as when he picked it up?

Good lord.

We are what are record says we are. He did a nice job - he didn't save the program.

He made his issues known to others, honestly good riddance.

And some people on here act like he was the second coming. He is just another greedy coach. Hitch your fortunes to him and wait for his email/text message saying goodbye.

Thinking he was the second coming is ridiculous for anyone to think. I certainly don't think he is; however, I do think that all of this vitriol being spewed his way is a bit over-the-top. That's all.

Thinking he was the second coming is ridiculous for anyone to think. I certainly don't think he is; however, I do think that all of this vitriol being spewed his way is a bit over-the-top. That's all.
Didn't mean it was you but there are posters on this board that defend everything Marrone and I mean everything. He's just one of hundreds and hundreds of competent, but not great coaches.

The guy who left his previous job after a bowl game without returning to campus with his team? You sure have an interesting interpretation of loyalty, but to each his own.
Exactly, and Marrone sent an email - only difference is Randy is a better coach. He was .526 at freakin UCONN and .458 in BE play far better than Marrone with much less to work with.

We are what are record says we are. He did a nice job - he didn't save the program.

He made his issues known to others, honestly good riddance.

Simple minded pablum.

Either you've forgotten or never knew the state of the program when Marrone took over. That's the only explanation for that level of ignorance.

Exactly, and Marrone sent an email - only difference is Randy is a better coach. He was .526 at freakin UCONN and .458 in BE play far better than Marrone with much less to work with.

I'll chalk this one up to a senior moment.

Let's do a little comparison.

Edsall had 5 years of prep as a HC before entering the BE.

In his first seven seasons as a D-1 HC he had two winning seasons, one .500, and four losing seasons.

He had his first win against a p5 opponent in his 15th game a one point win against a Rutgers team that would finish 2-9.

He notched another biggie in his 34th game against a high powered 7-7 Iowa St team.

It took until his 51st game, 5th season, as a D-1 HC to beat a p5 team with a winning record, beating a Pitt team that would finish 8-4 in 2004.

He backed that breakthrough up 38 games later in 2007 against an eventual 9-4 SFla. team.

That far worse Doug Marrone did that in his 3rd game ever as a HC, beating an eventual 8-5 Northwestern squad in a shootout with a point guard who hadn't played football in over four years. He did it again 7 games later against Rutgers, which finished 9-4. He did it twice more on the road the next season.

The crappy Doug Marrone had 8 wins against P5 teams that finished with winning records in 50 games. The far superior Edsall did it 10 times in 130 games.

Marrone had 6 losses to teams with losing records, all p5 schools, and all but one, 4-8 Louisville in a 9-10 loss, just one game under .500, and three of those five got their final loss in a bowl game to send them to 6-7. He didn't have one loss to a non P5 team.

The great Edsall had 20 losses to non P5 or P5 with losing records, including in his greatest season losing to Temple out of the MAC and a 4-8 Rutgers team.

Yep, clearly a better coach.

Simple minded pablum.

Either you've forgotten or never knew the state of the program when Marrone took over. That's the only explanation for that level of ignorance.

The ignorance was a chapter in his binders. That's the shocking part.

3-9, stripped the staff in January, didn't save the program. Good coach, that's it.

The ignorance was a chapter in his binders. That's the shocking part.

3-9, stripped the staff in January, didn't save the program. Good coach, that's it.

Now he responsible for the bad hires of his successor, and by extension the hire of his successor.

Shafer was giddy to get the band back together.

They went 7-6 last year leaving two wins on the table, not exactly horrible condition.

Much less to work with? FYHCRE had an IPF long before Syracuse even knew what that was.

True, the tradition wasn't there and their stadium was way out in the weeds... but he could sell an up-and-coming program. After the program's two transitional years, he could also sell a winning football program, with only 2 losing seasons out of 9. It's much easier to sell a perceived winning and up-and-coming program to teenagers than what was left on the Hill in the latter P and subsequent years.

While all coaches have their quirks, I doubt we'd be proud of having a fairy dancer on SU's sidelines.

Wow Crusty. I really respect your opinions and enjoy reading your posts. But, what happened here?

Much less to work with? FYHCRE had an IPF long before Syracuse even knew what that was.

True, the tradition wasn't there and their stadium was way out in the weeds... but he could sell an up-and-coming program. After the program's two transitional years, he could also sell a winning football program, with only 2 losing seasons out of 9. It's much easier to sell a perceived winning and up-and-coming program to teenagers than what was left on the Hill in the latter P and subsequent years.

While all coaches have their quirks, I doubt we'd be proud of having a fairy dancer on SU's sidelines.
He built the winning program! Have you you ever been to Storrs? He built it virtually from scratch and you don't want to give him credit?

Wow Crusty. I really respect your opinions and enjoy reading your posts. But, what happened here?
Based on his record and building the UCONN program from scratch he was demonstrably a better college coach than Marrone. Just seems like a prima facie case.

He built the winning program! Have you you ever been to Storrs? He built it virtually from scratch and you don't want to give him credit?
I do credit him with that. I was limiting the scope to the "Marrone Years"... you know, the subject of this thread. ;)

Based on his record and building the UCONN program from scratch he was demonstrably a better college coach than Marrone. Just seems like a prima facie case.
You could make the same case that St. Doug did a total gut & rebuild on our program- we weren't just bad we were historically bad!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom