Marrone's tenure here... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's tenure here...

Let me add that my own personal opinion is that SU was Doug's "dream job" and he meant that when he said it, but that he learned in his short tenure that the modern college athletics landscape did not play into his strengths and as a result, he realized he belonged in the NFL.

Nothing wrong with that. He is neither villain nor saint. Simply a man who belongs in the NFL. He'd have discovered the same thing about himself if hisdream job was (and he became coach of) Alabama. It just might have taken a little longer, that's all.
I think this is correct.

my problem is that shafer isnt the right guy.

once marrone left, it was up to gross to continue to give this program a 'bump' as jake recalled a conversation going.

the fact that gross thought that last years program had 2!! BCS level coaches on the staff is incredulous.

imo: the best case scenario for Cuse is SS holds the fort with a couple of 6-6, 7-5 seasons then off a 5-7 where he loses the last one, we can him and spend that ACC $$$ on a big hire.

i stll believe Syracuse can be a perenial 8 & 9 win team, i just dont see SS and his canned fire & brimstone talking points on a index card as being that guy.

sorry.

Oh Lord

once marrone left, it was up to gross to continue to give this program a 'bump' as jake recalled a conversation going.

the fact that gross thought that last years program had 2!! BCS level coaches on the staff is incredulous.

imo: the best case scenario for Cuse is SS holds the fort with a couple of 6-6, 7-5 seasons then off a 5-7 where he loses the last one, we can him and spend that ACC $$$ on a big hire.

i stll believe Syracuse can be a perenial 8 & 9 win team, i just dont see SS and his canned fire & brimstone talking points on a index card as being that guy.

sorry.

Oh Lord

I'm not sure that TGD had much of a choice. Doug chose to leave for the Bills in early January. Not a lot of time to hunt around for a BCS level coach at that time of year.

Cheers,
Neil

sorry.

Oh Lord
Tough to argue with this after Saturday. I know it was only one game, but my goodness.

Good head coaches don't allow that to happen unless the entire roster is a trainwreck or the opposing team is Miami circa 2001. Neither is the case.

sorry.

Oh Lord

I really want Shafer to be the guy, but it sure feels like this assessment is spot on. Marrone had taken us to competing for a bowl birth each year from being at the bottom of the barrel. Feel like we need an established HC to come in to take us to the 8/9 win level.

you are still intentionally missing the point. the question was, is the program in a better place now then when marrone took over? what about this season shows you any improvement?

The talent on the field is waaaay ahead of the Grob days. I am not sure it is being managed efficiently right now, but unlike the Grob era...I have faith that it will be. Thats the biggest thing that I see as an improvement, the faith and belief that we can win week in and week out. We are up agaisnt much better compitition that 4 years ago...but I dont get the gut sinking feeling prior to every game that I did 4 years ago. Also this staff is bringing in a great class and I feel that will only get better. Sure, it seems as though some tweeks are needed...but I believe that the ship with get right.

We weren't a perennial 8-9 win team under Coach P (only hit the 8 win mark 7 times in 14 years, and only once after McNabb left).

GRob was 0-4.

Marrone was 2-4, but I doubt he would have hit 8 wins this year if he stayed.

We can get there, but we can't seem to stay there.

I'm not sure that TGD had much of a choice. Doug chose to leave for the Bills in early January. Not a lot of time to hunt around for a BCS level coach at that time of year.

Cheers,
Neil

he benefited from SU being in a pinch. if you benefit from the employer not being able to do a real search, you gotta recognize that it comes with a shorter leash.

The IPF timeline is not the same. Marrone was promised one would be built when he was hired, and not the "80 yards" in Manley, which is actually 60 yards of a regulation field width. It's also shared by every team at SU, and since it was a stop-gap measure, it's design was also extremely short-sighted. The committee was aware when he was hired that it was a need because the football team's speed and strength numbers were woeful.

chakka is right about a lot of points- the frustration built over his time because Marrone wasn't winning the recruiting battles he needed, and didn't feel his time should be spent fundraising, marketing, or worrying about the non-conf schedule and that the Ath Dept and SU was making his job harder. For example, the decision to go play at Missouri last year when Marrone was told he needed to make a bowl game before a contract extension would be discussed.

It's great to say that Beamer is out golfing with donors, but I wonder what Foster makes, or what their overall asst. coach salary pool is in comparison to SU. Look at the Dome attendance and you'll know that football is not generating enough revenue on its own to compete at this level. More resources need to be put into the fundraising efforts at SU. I know I've seen many comments on this board from people who say the 4-figure donors have been marginalized while SU chases 7 figure donors. Hopefully the ACC revenue is put to good use in areas behind the scenes.

As far as taking coaches, Shafer wasn't going to keep the same staff anyway so in a way, it made the transition easier. All the coaches last year were looking at other options because none of them were assured that they wouldn't be headed into this season as a lame-duck staff.

Let me also say that I don't want to turn this into a personal issue with anyone on the board. I think Marrone came here with the vision of restoring the program to the level we all want it to see, but the politics and other things took him away from what he loves to do, which is coach. He has the opportunity to now focus solely on coaching, and is paid very well to do so.

What the Syracuse fans need to do is support this team and Shafer, be thankful that Marrone got things back on track, and hope that the new Chancellor is more involved with making sure the AD is doing what needs to be done to get the program to continue to move forward.

Marrone knew exactly what had to be done and what he had to do. He admitted as much in April of 2009. He grew to hate those parts of the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he benefited from SU being in a pinch. if you benefit from the employer not being able to do a real search, you gotta recognize that it comes with a shorter leash.

So basically three years instead of four to prove himself.

Cheers,
Neil

Marrone knew exactly what had to be done and what he had to do. He admitted as much in April of 2009. He grew to hate those parts of the job.

Like most people he quit his bosses and moved on due to lack of support "for what he knew had to be done" (the AD, Chancellor and Board lack of support). He was left to raise funds on his own to upgrade facilities and build the IPF. We have it backwards in my opinion when compared to many other Universities when it comes to raising funds here at SU for athletics.

Was I frustrated with Marrone after some games? Yes. Did I criticize his NFL approach to coaching in college football? Yes. However, Doug Marrone prepared this team well with an NFL level game planning by attacking the other teams weaknesses and doing what he could with his personal. I do not or have never blamed him for leaving for an NFL job. The only thing that hurt was the timing which was during our transition to the ACC and not leaving a QB for the next coach. However, if Dr. Gross gives the HC job to Nathaniel Hackett then Zack Allen is struggling with the WR core right now. It would have been better for the program if we made a bowl in 2011 so Marrone could have left and had the 2012 team for a new coach to win right away. I think McDonald's recruiting ability and if Marrone had him on his staff he would have had his ace recruiter while Marrone handling the coaching of that talent.

However, we need Shafer to grow on the job and hope he can. I have faith in his staff's recruiting ability but he is opposite of Marrone on preparing the team.

Like most people he quit his bosses and moved on due to lack of support "for what he knew had to be done" (the AD, Chancellor and Board lack of support). He was left to raise funds on his own to upgrade facilities and build the IPF. We have it backwards in my opinion when compared to many other Universities when it comes to raising funds here at SU for athletics.

I think you might find the attached article eye-opening in terms of understanding how such projects are approved.

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20130909aac.html

Cheers,
Neil

We hit rock bottom w/ GROB Marrone got SU back to mediocrity. We slid from losing season to medicore season his entire term and there were no signs of it ending. I am so tired of people writing about this guys as if he were an SU legend. I suppose its been so long since SU has had a football legend a whole generation does not know what one looks like.

Last edited:
Sorry but whether you like the way Doug left or not, he got the program back on the right track. As for Scott, its way to early to be discussing whether he will end up being a good coach or not. The 2 greatest coaches for football at Syracuse, Ben, and Mac the people on here would have shoved out the door before they got started. Time for the Children to grow up, and realize the talent here is way behind good programs. In year 3 if the talent is still way behind, and we aren't competing, then we can have this discussion. Other teams could lose people like Lemon, Sales, and just plug someone else in, we have as our best receiver, someone who never played the position. We need to have depth at least 2 deep, with little or no drop-off, then we are ready to compete.

Sorry but whether you like the way Doug left or not, he got the program back on the right track. As for Scott, its way to early to be discussing whether he will end up being a good coach or not. The 2 greatest coaches for football at Syracuse, Ben, and Mac the people on here would have shoved out the door before they got started. Time for the Children to grow up, and realize the talent here is way behind good programs. In year 3 if the talent is still way behind, and we aren't competing, then we can have this discussion. Other teams could lose people like Lemon, Sales, and just plug someone else in, we have as our best receiver, someone who never played the position. We need to have depth at least 2 deep, with little or no drop-off, then we are ready to compete.

And playing devil's advocate, the bolded part seems to me to conflict somewhat with your later point that other teams could lose a Lemon or Sales and plug someone else in. Doesn't getting a program back on track include leaving behind capable replacements for what were after all, good but not great receivers like Lemon and Sales?

Cheers,
Neil

And playing devil's advocate, the bolded part seems to me to conflict somewhat with your later point that other teams could lose a Lemon or Sales and plug someone else in. Doesn't getting a program back on track include leaving behind capable replacements for what were after all, good but not great receivers like Lemon and Sales?

Cheers,
Neil

We might have some good young players, so time will tell. But so far it doesn't appear he recruited a Nassib, Lemon, Sales or Pugh.

Last edited:

He had the support. He just decided he didn't want to play his role after he found how difficult it was. He knew fund raising was part if the gig. Not alone doing it, but a good part. The coach is who donors want to see/hear. He tried, he wasn't successful. He also knew it was his job to help out people in the seats. He wasn't successful much there either. He had the support, he just got tired of not having success in some areas off the field. I think some people took offense to the change in his attitude over time.

Cheers,
Neil
No Marrone was quite clear he was leaving before the 2012 season had even begun

Whether Shafer can do that is on Shafer, not Marrone. And Marrone "helped" by indirectly getting the indoor facility.
Hey, I like Marrone. I wished he stayed. I had no problems with his decision to accept an NFL job. I was not to keen on his "Mission Accomplished" statement since I do not believe he finished what he started. I can acknowledge your point on Shafer needing to succeed on his own merits but I would also hope that you could agree that the timing of Doug's departure certainly did not help a program struggling to regain relevance. In fact I think it hurt. At this point I believe that Syracuse is just as likely to fall back to 3 - 8 seasons as they are to achieve 8 -3. The program is teetering on a ledge IMHO.

that is for sure...head coaches are supposed to be freed up for other things...they make a big deal of how Oregon head coach has Phil Knight on speeddial for any $$$ needs he may have. If u want to be a big boy it is as simple as stating your needs and watch it happen

Not going to try and dig up the IPF thread, but drove past Manley at lunch and the outdoor track is still in place. Anyone hear anything about the IPF schedule as it's now late October and nothing looks to be happening.

[quotis ="CiceroSwamp, post: 784377, member: 255"]No Marrone was quite clear he was leaving before the 2012 season had even begun[/quote]
That is really revisionist history at its finest.

We hit rock bottom w/ GROB Marrone got SU back to mediocrity. We slid from losing season to medicore season his entire term and there were no signs of it ending. I am so tired of people writing about this guys as if he were an SU legend. I suppose its been so long since SU has had a football legend a whole generation does not know what one looks like.
Speaking of Mizzou, have you seen them play this season? They're doing pretty well. That's pretty much the same team Syracuse faced in their house at night last season and beat.

Syracuse also crushed a Louisville team that beat Top 5 Florida in the Sugar Bowl and curb-stomped WVU.

In other words, by the end of December 2012 there weren't more than 15 teams in the nation who were better than Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom