Maryland back to the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Maryland back to the ACC?

Townie72

All American
Aside from Feinstein’s columns, to me the Washington Post has the worst sports columnists in the nation. You’ll get less insight into sports from this gaggle of second and third raters then you would get from reading the back of the Cheerios box on the breakfast table. (They are also prone to let the rest of the paper’s political bias leak into their sports columns.)

But Barry Svrluga actually hit the nail on the head today voicing some surprising truths about the Maryland football coaching fiasco and about the school’s decision to leave the ACC and enter the B1G and the role of this decision in the death of the Maryland football player.

But when Maryland announced they were leaving the ACC the Post’s sports columnists were 100% supportive voicing the school’s PR BS about the wonderful opportunity.

Some year’s later, Svrluga identifies it for what it aways was, a “money grab” that put the school’s teams up against powerhouses they couldn’t possible compete with.

Durkin was charged with the near impossible task of competing with Ohio State and Michigan. His methods were bad and produced the death of a player.

Maryland might just figure out they cannot now and are extremely unlikely to ever compete in the B1g. The logical thing to do would be to call the ACC up and say, “Let’s talk”.

From Barry Svrluga in the Washington Post:

“Loh, along with former athletic director Kevin Anderson, pushed Maryland away from that solid, steady base by yanking the school from the ACC to the Big Ten. This was a money grab, nothing short of it, a move that shoved to the side generations of tradition and history because Jim Delany, the Big Ten commissioner/con-artist, promised more cash. Never mind that the idea of driving through Beltway traffic to see Purdue on a Tuesday night in January was, nebulously, not as attractive as enduring the same commute to see, say, N.C. State. The money mattered, and Loh went for it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...5bb7e2-dd78-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html

Aside from Feinstein’s columns, to me the Washington Post has the worst sports columnists in the nation. You’ll get less insight into sports from this gaggle of second and third raters then you would get from reading the back of the Cheerios box on the breakfast table. (They are also prone to let the rest of the paper’s political bias leak into their sports columns.)

But Barry Svrluga actually hit the nail on the head today voicing some surprising truths about the Maryland football coaching fiasco and about the school’s decision to leave the ACC and enter the B1G and the role of this decision in the death of the Maryland football player.

But when Maryland announced they were leaving the ACC the Post’s sports columnists were 100% supportive voicing the school’s PR BS about the wonderful opportunity.

Some year’s later, Svrluga identifies it for what it aways was, a “money grab” that put the school’s teams up against powerhouses they couldn’t possible compete with.

Durkin was charged with the near impossible task of competing with Ohio State and Michigan. His methods were bad and produced the death of a player.

Maryland might just figure out they cannot now and are extremely unlikely to ever compete in the B1g. The logical thing to do would be to call the ACC up and say, “Let’s talk”.

“Loh, along with former athletic director Kevin Anderson, pushed Maryland away from that solid, steady base by yanking the school from the ACC to the Big Ten. This was a money grab, nothing short of it, a move that shoved to the side generations of tradition and history because Jim Delany, the Big Ten commissioner/con-artist, promised more cash. Never mind that the idea of driving through Beltway traffic to see Purdue on a Tuesday night in January was, nebulously, not as attractive as enduring the same commute to see, say, N.C. State. The money mattered, and Loh went for it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...5bb7e2-dd78-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html
I'm no expert on this subject, but I don't think it's as easy as calling the ACC and asking to be reinstated. I have to believe it would be fairly complicated and costly to get out of the BIG.

Yeah, who would let a bias affect sportswriting? Inexcusable.

(Eyeroll)

Did anyone hear the Washington Post female reporter (Sally Jenkins) on with Golic and Wingo this morning talking about the Maryland situation. She basically said male sports fans, boosters, advisory committees and the "higher ups" are ate up with sports and are willing to push most things aside for the benefit of our program(s) winning. Short of calling us male chauvinist pigs who love sports and will pay whatever price we need to in order to win.

Last edited:
As I tell my Terp friends, "I understand why you did it, but I will never accept why you did it."

No Do-overs. The ACC didn't give one to South Carolina (although they supposedly explored trying to get back in), and shouldn't give one to Maryland.

Did anyone hear the Washington Post female reporter on with Golic and Wingo this morning talking about the Maryland situation. She basically said male sports fans, boosters, advisory committees and the "higher ups" are ate up with sports and are willing to push most things aside for the benefit of our program(s) winning. Short of calling us male chauvinist pigs who love sports and will pay whatever price we need to in order to win.
It was Sally Jenkins, one of the WaPo's senior writers. Her Dad, BTW, wrote for SI and was the author of Semi- Tough.

Did anyone hear the Washington Post female reporter on with Golic and Wingo this morning talking about the Maryland situation. She basically said male sports fans, boosters, advisory committees and the "higher ups" are ate up with sports and are willing to push most things aside for the benefit of our program(s) winning. Short of calling us male chauvinist pigs who love sports and will pay whatever price we need to in order to win.
We are like that (in degrees).

OttoMets, are you getting this?

She has stopped whining momentarily about the Redskin's changing their name.

Pretty sure the Maryland Board of Regents 100% pushed aside decency for winning.

Maryland boosters are quoted blaming McNair for his death and whining about "so called student athletes" who had the audacity to publicize the disgusting culture Durkin created.

I'm assuming the reporter is Sally Jenkins, one of the best sports journalists in America. And she's right. As a man, I'm not offended because I know she isn't talking about me and my values.

As I tell my Terp friends, "I understand why you did it, but I will never accept why you did it."

No Do-overs. The ACC didn't give one to South Carolina (although they supposedly explored trying to get back in), and shouldn't give one to Maryland.

I guess that's the UVA take on things. What's the matter? Do you think MD in the B1G helps UVA recruiting?

From the SU side of things, Maryland is the best ACC addition we could ever expect or hope for. They are located in a key recruiting area for us for football, basketball and lacrosse. We have a ton of alumni in the area.

Did anyone hear the Washington Post female reporter (Sally Jenkins) on with Golic and Wingo this morning talking about the Maryland situation. She basically said male sports fans, boosters, advisory committees and the "higher ups" are ate up with sports and are willing to push most things aside for the benefit of our program(s) winning. Short of calling us male chauvinist pigs who love sports and will pay whatever price we need to in order to win.
You think she's wrong? Really? Now, substitute the word "Alabama" for the word "Maryland." You agree now? Good.

Maryland was operating tens of millions of dollars in the red, after years of spending like drunken sailors. Their move to the B1G was all about getting that infusion of revenue to help off-set all of the investments they'd made for athletics in an attempt to "spend" their way to success. When that failed, they needed a financial bailout to offset the sunk costs.

"Fit" was never the primary driver of the move. It was a short term decision by Debbie Yow that will have negative detrimental consequences long term for the Terps, their fans, their sports programs, and clearly their regional rivalries.

Last edited:

Did you see what Don Lemon said last night?

Dear Sally.

Maryland is awful at sports and their athletic department is bankrupt and they are a case study in how not to run athletics largely because Debbie Yow, a pioneer female athletic director, did an historically awful job trying to run the athletic department at Maryland.

It takes a village to ruin a university. Men needed help to achieve this level of failure.

Dear Sally.

Maryland is awful at sports and their athletic department is bankrupt and they are a case study in how not to run athletics largely because Debbie Yow, a pioneer female athletic director, did an historically awful job trying to run the athletic department at Maryland.

It takes a village to ruin a university. Men needed help to achieve this level of failure.

with all that said, i'd welcome them back as the logical 16th member* (15 for football).

Would be interesting to see the financial analysis of inviting Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G and current post mortem of that decision.
Maryland was operating tens of millions of dollars in the red, after years of spending like drunken sailors. Their move to the B1G was all about getting that infusion of revenue to help off-set all of the investments they'd made for athletics.

"Fit" was never the primary driver of the move. It was a short term decision that will have negative detrimental consequences long term for the Terps, their fans, their sports programs, and clearly their regional rivalries.

Not exactly.

A Maryland state law prohibits the use of General Fund or any State dollars for the Athletic Department. It has to be self-funding.

The Maryland Athletic Department was running a deficit and "borrowing" money from the University which theoretically had to be re-paid. (Compare this to Rutgers where $26 million of General Fund and Student Athletic dollars got to th Ahtletic Department to offset operating losses)

When Fridgen took over the football program and started to win, demand for football tickets spiked.

Maryland seeing his decided to take a huge gamble and expand the football stadium to meet what they thought was a new level of demand. It was really the only way they could see to get out of the chronic funding problem. It was a combination of extreme optimism and desperation.

When the football fortunes returned to their normal level, the University was stuck with the old run-rate Athletic deficit and the bill for expanding and improving the stadium.

The B1G showed up with the only solution. Maryland was forced to go or so they thought.

Dear Sally.

Yes, but regardless of gender, there is a culture that puts football ahead of the academic mission or even the law. Case in point: Penn State. The issue is bigger than gender. And, as an alum, I am glad SU has never turned itself into this kind of football factory.

Wasn’t our move a money grab, too? That’s just business and I don’t really begrudge. And how is MD less set up for success than teams like northwestern and Purdue? Their geo actually helps separate them recruiting-wise. Their failure is administrative. Management of their athletics program operationally has been putrid. They could compete if they got their act together, but clearly that ain’t happening anytime soon.

Wasn’t our move a money grab, too? That’s just business and I don’t really begrudge. And how is MD less set up for success than teams like northwestern and Purdue? Their geo actually helps separate them recruiting-wise. Their failure is administrative. Management of their athletics program operationally has been putrid. They could compete if they got their act together, but clearly that ain’t happening anytime soon.

Our move was desperation and perseverance of our football program. We, rightfully, needed to be in a power 5 conference to continue running the program at a high level. Maryland had a liquidity issue, not a conference salvation issue.

In other words, Syracuse, if in Maryland's position, wouldn't have moved to Big 10 from ACC because of a funding shortfall.

But Maryland can't survive with Purdue or Northwestern attendance levels.

And the fan base will not show up for drubbings by the powers every week. Too many other things to do in DC versus West Lafayette, Indiana.

Maryland isn't going to leave when they haven't even gotten the full yearly payout that a Big 10 member gets. they are a few years away from that big annual payday, by the time they could ever leave that full share would kick in and they would be losing a ton of cash to go back to the ACC. They aren't going anywhere, their program is awash in red ink, they are counting the months until 2022 (I believe that is when they get the full share)

Maryland isn't going to leave when they haven't even gotten the full yearly payout that a Big 10 member gets. they are a few years away from that big annual payday, by the time they could ever leave that full share would kick in and they would be losing a ton of cash to go back to the ACC. They aren't going anywhere, their program is awash in red ink, they are counting the months until 2022 (I believe that is when they get the full share)

And their coaching staff is killing players in a mad dash to become competitive.

College football is nuts, but it's not that nuts.

Some of that blood is on Loh's hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom