Maryland: Durkin Fired | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

Obviously, they're getting rid of the president (who was pretty universally reviled) for the wrong reason. There was speculation (WaPo?) that since the Regents couldn't fire Durkin or the AD, they were going to have Loh do it and then fire Loh. This is ... amazing.

I still don't understand why Loh was hired in the first place. Loh is a lawyer. The UMd Law School is in Baltimore and part of UMAB, the University of Maryland at Baltimore (along with the Med, Nursing, and Social Work schools). UMCP has liberal art, engineering and business schools. What would possibly make them want to have a lawyer in charge there?

Obviously, they're getting rid of the president (who was pretty universally reviled) for the wrong reason. There was speculation (WaPo?) that since the Regents couldn't fire Durkin or the AD, they were going to have Loh do it and then fire Loh. This is ... amazing.

I still don't understand why Loh was hired in the first place. Loh is a lawyer. The UMd Law School is in Baltimore and part of UMAB, the University of Maryland at Baltimore (along with the Med, Nursing, and Social Work schools). UMCP has liberal art, engineering and business schools. What would possibly make them want to have a lawyer in charge there?
Our guy is a lawyer too. He doesn't have a PhD.

I would guess this is a tough time for Chancellor Syverud--he clerked for Sandra Day O'Connor at the Supreme Court.

I think killing a kid is just cause for termination. They will need his money to pay the family.
They blamed the trainer for everything and bought him out for 315k. Cheaper that way.

Maryland’s pitch is do you hate your kid? Send him here. We’ll either fix it or well, either way he won’t be a problem anymore.

Our guy is a lawyer too. He doesn't have a PhD.

I would guess this is a tough time for Chancellor Syverud--he clerked for Sandra Day O'Connor at the Supreme Court.
Our new president is a lawyer, too. That's not the point I'm trying to make. The College Park campus doesn't have a law school; only the Baltimore campus does and it has its own president (he's an MD because of all the health sciences stuff is there). If Loh had been president at the Baltimore campus, OK. But why would he want to be president there and why did the Regents pick a lawyer to head a campus without a law school?

I see a lot of the worst of humanity in my line of work and have developed a pretty thick skin over the years. Not much surprises me when it comes to bad decision making and human capacity for depravity.

I was absolutely flabbergasted to read that Durkin was reinstalled as coach. I can't believe how much outrage I feel at this decision. Sickening and cowardly. Just awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom