Maryland Game Preview (2/20/22 at Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Preview (2/20/22 at Noon)

ClvrUsrnm

Starter
Might as well get this rolling now.

I’ve only watched a quarter and a half of Maryland’s game with Loyola, but my initial impression is that … Loyola’s defense is an absolute dumpster fire right now. Maryland tore it apart, as it should have, but this won’t be an easy film to dissect. Maryland did what it wanted against a terrible and disorganized defense. What happens against an organized, motivated and disrespected defense?

Loyola was playing there first game and also got totally dominated at the X. Haven't seen any footage yet but home to find some soon. I also do not think Loyola was a top tier elite team last year, so the returning talent is only so much of a factor. We could still have the upper hand against MD at the x, and I am hoping our best dodgers can do enough to get the defense moving. MD will score a lot. That seems almost a given barring Petro predicting Benson's every move.

Despite the result, Kennedy did not have the most reassuring performance yesterday at close D. He has the physical abilities to stay with anyone but sometimes he just makes poor aggressive approaches or goes for the big check for absolutely no reason. He had some questionable moments when we had to play him at close D last year, but then I thought he looked great guarding middies from up top as an LSM. I worry a guy like Khan could give him the business dodging from x. I know it won't happen but I really wish there was a way to put him back at LSM where he belongs. If the staff trusts Caccamo the Yale transfer, for instance.

He gave up one goal… with no slide
He struggled with Nichtern as well in 2021. Moore too before we switched Wycoff on him. You can even go back to 2020 when we put him at close in place of Mellen. Gave up some unnecessary goals from Eric Holden on Hobart simply from being too aggressive. He is more suited for LSM is all I'm saying.

Going to have to disagree with you besides Holden. Holden did get by him a few times in that game after he was overly aggressive. If you go back and watch the army game where he guarded nichern, he really only got beat for one goal. Then one Goal was on a pick, and 2 on man down. Matt Moore had one assist in that game you are referring to where Kennedy guarded him but switched to lsm in the 2nd quarter. Don’t remember if that one point came when Kennedy was on him or not. Agreed on him being aggressive but there’s a reason Petro has him down there. At this point in his career, that’s who he is, I’d take someone who over plays compared to someone who doesn’t. Just checked the box score and he led the team in ground balls yesterday, I agree with u that he is best suited as an lsm but team needs him down at close. Going to be interesting to see if we are losing the faceoff battle in any given game, if they give him a few runs on the wing to Create some chaos

Doctah, what do you think the mid lines will be next week? Assuming buttermore and Quinn are back, first line will be those two and curry.

Second line cook, Fio, corsi?

Do you guys ever tailgate? Would love to catch up for a beer before a game. I’m about two hours from cuse and try to make it to most games

Doctah, what do you think the mid lines will be next week? Assuming buttermore and Quinn are back, first line will be those two and curry.

Second line cook, Fio, corsi?

Do you guys ever tailgate? Would love to catch up for a beer before a game. I’m about two hours from cuse and try to make it to most games

I’m stealing from Ivorytower, but Buttermore and Quinn might be too similar in style, might make more sense to split them up. If both are healthy I’d guess

First line: Curry, Quinn, Cook
Second line: Buttermore, Fiorini, Cordes

I imagine they’ll still try and sprinkle in Corsi and Ferris as well. Will be interesting to see how they shuffle the line up. The third line looked really good, curious if they try and rotate Cohen or Tenaglia in there as well.

You’re going downnnnn Zach. Mark my words the Round Man will be dancing all over the dome Saturday!

I’m stealing from Ivorytower, but Buttermore and Quinn might be too similar in style, might make more sense to split them up. If both are healthy I’d guess

First line: Curry, Quinn, Cook
Second line: Buttermore, Fiorini, Cordes

I imagine they’ll still try and sprinkle in Corsi and Ferris as well. Will be interesting to see how they shuffle the line up. The third line looked really good, curious if they try and rotate Cohen or Tenaglia in there as well.
Cordes was on first mid line this past week. Cook was rotating with the second mids mainly but took some shifts with first line guys. I think we may see a little bit of mixing and matching depending on how they matchup against the opposing defense. Corsi and Cordes look like they can initiate offense. We know that isn't the strong suit for Buttermore or Quinn. Theres a lot of options at midfield.

Butter returning and hopefully Quinn will likely effect where Cook plays . Believe he was slated at attack until those two were out and started at mid to provide some vet stabilzation. Berkman had a strong preseason and showed he is very capable when called upon. "Changes" for HC worked .Cordes plays smart and can rip, Corsi has the quickness to separate but key to all new faces is moving ball as done vs HC. Maryland d both up top and low is obviously gonna to be much tighter so withholding stamp until next game seen. While encouraged by HC n Loyola scrimmage still cant shake the mess that Cuse was two weeks ago vs ordinary Michigan who is nowhere near Maryland. Maybe Gait is a magician but progress usually comes in increments

Wish Buffalo had been in SB. Found last night game to be a drab despite closeness of score .Commercials sucked, miss beer commercials lol and washed up rappers at halftime hold no appeal for me. If I had access to HP -UVA game , would have flipped channel.
Yikes.

I thought this was the best bunch of SB commercials in years.

Super bowl? I haven't watched one since Green Bay pounced on Oakland in SB II. And can't get into urban poetry anyway, so no SB for me. It was a good time to watch lax highlight videos.

Watched the Maryland vs Loyola highlights. Not sure if Maryland was that good or was Loyola's defense that bad. It seemed that the Loyola defense was disorganized, out of position, poorly time slides or all of the above. I think a couple of keys to beating Maryland is to to keep the ball away from Maryland's offense and for Coach Petro to put a defensive scheme to keep the scoring coming from GLE. Maybe, just maybe if we can get Maryland into a foot race we can wear them down... but that's easier said than done.

To each their own . Maybe miss Bud Light commercials too much . Whattsup? lol

Maryland is that good . Tillman has piled talent upon talent and they are in sync . Deep, not going to wear them down

Win, Khan and Malkevar are all studs and they have a 40 goal scorer in Maltz coming off bench . Deep at mids with two talented lines helped by transfers Donville and Murphy.

Greater possessions would certainly help but Wierman has been excelling and Tiygh is a capable second.

Cuse is gonna have to be hitting on all cylinders otherwise expect a similar Loyola outcome

Maryland's first road trip of the year should be a tough one. With Syracuse beating Holy Cross 28-5, it is hard not to feel Syracuse is a 5-6 goal favorite.
MD still the favorite IMO. Just saw highlights from the MD Loyola game but that offense was really humming, not just Loyola making mistakes. Was hoping we would never have to deal with Benson's antics again!

The Orange are coming off a great performance against a not very good team. Up next is the first of many tough opponents. Syracuse's outing against Holy Cross gives me hope that they will give Maryland a run for their money, but it's a tall mountain to climb. In the end I think Maryland takes this one, but hey, that's why they play the game.

On paper UMD doesn't have many holes. They have a very good attack unit and their second midfield is almost as good as their very good first. They have a tough defense led by a First Team All American in Brett Makar. What was supposed to be a weakness at the beginning of the season might instead be a strength as they are facing off at over 70%. If we are nitpicking, the goaltender spot isn't what you would call elite. Logan McNaney returns for the Terps but his save percentage is under 50% (and last year it was only at 52%).

So how does the Orange beat Maryland? I think the key is Jakob Phaup. At the dot, Maryland may have impressive statistics this year, but last year neither one of the top two FOGOS finished above 50%. The key for an upset of the Terps will have to be the key to last year's upsets of the Cavs - face-offs. If SU can dominate possession, I think the offense could get to McNaney. But of course this is easier said than done.

I have to imagine that Makar will mark Dordevic this game, but SU can counter with another strong dodger in Owen Seebold. It should be interesting to see if Syracuse tries to solidifies their midfield lines or if they keep mixing and matching. UMD has very good SSDMs so Syracuse can't rely on trying to isolate against them. If the crisp ball movement and constant motions continues this week, that will be a positive.

I am much more skeptical of the SU defense matching up against UMD. The Terps have weapons everywhere. Donville, Murphy and Wisnuskas can sling it from the outside, Khan, Long and Malever are good dodgers and they share the ball really well. The SU shorties will be tested big time this week. The Orange had serious problems when it came to communications and slides last year, how much has that improved? Is this the game we see that issue fixed? We will see Caccamo inserted into the starting lineup? This side of the field will obviously be uber interesting given that this is a showdown between two long term colleagues and mentor/mentees in Petro vs Benson.

I think the chances of SU taking down the Terps is a tall one, but there is a template. Personally, I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about this game despite the strong showing Syracuse had last week. I'm just not sure the defense is quite ready for the juggernaut that is Maryland's offense.

Ultimately this isn't a make or break game for the Orange - they will have plenty of chances for quality wins and the ACC games are more important in the grand scheme of things. I am more concerned about the out of conference games against Army, Johns Hopkins and Cornell than this one in particular. Does Gait throw the kitchen sink at this one? Given the amount of players that could hopefully return from injury, I'm interested to see how much playing time guys like Caccomo, Clary Buttermore, Quinn and even Birtwistle get. Does Gait maybe hold them back so they are more healthy against UVA the following week?

Given last year's blowouts, I would be happy if the Orange stayed within five goals this week. Maybe I'm not giving the Orange enough credit, but Maryland looks very good. Of course anything can happen - after the Army loss last year I didn't think Syracuse had any chance at all against Virginia and they beat them by 10. I'm hoping for the same outcome!

One thing to point out, td did not appear to be on the sidelines this week. Will he be here this weekend? I have to imagine having him on the sidelines during a tough faceoff match up could help us big time.

One thing to point out, td did not appear to be on the sidelines this week. Will he be here this weekend? I have to imagine having him on the sidelines during a tough faceoff match up could help us big time.
Toronto plays a 7pm Sunday night game in Albany. I guess it is technically possible for him to coach in Syracuse at 12 and play at 7, but that is tight timeline with shoot around, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom