Maryland Game Preview (2/20/22 at Noon) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Preview (2/20/22 at Noon)

Doctah, what do you think the mid lines will be next week? Assuming buttermore and Quinn are back, first line will be those two and curry.

Second line cook, Fio, corsi?

Do you guys ever tailgate? Would love to catch up for a beer before a game. I’m about two hours from cuse and try to make it to most games
The Orange are coming off a great performance against a not very good team. Up next is the first of many tough opponents. Syracuse's outing against Holy Cross gives me hope that they will give Maryland a run for their money, but it's a tall mountain to climb. In the end I think Maryland takes this one, but hey, that's why they play the game.

On paper UMD doesn't have many holes. They have a very good attack unit and their second midfield is almost as good as their very good first. They have a tough defense led by a First Team All American in Brett Makar. What was supposed to be a weakness at the beginning of the season might instead be a strength as they are facing off at over 70%. If we are nitpicking, the goaltender spot isn't what you would call elite. Logan McNaney returns for the Terps but his save percentage is under 50% (and last year it was only at 52%).

So how does the Orange beat Maryland? I think the key is Jakob Phaup. At the dot, Maryland may have impressive statistics this year, but last year neither one of the top two FOGOS finished above 50%. The key for an upset of the Terps will have to be the key to last year's upsets of the Cavs - face-offs. If SU can dominate possession, I think the offense could get to McNaney. But of course this is easier said than done.

I have to imagine that Makar will mark Dordevic this game, but SU can counter with another strong dodger in Owen Seebold. It should be interesting to see if Syracuse tries to solidifies their midfield lines or if they keep mixing and matching. UMD has very good SSDMs so Syracuse can't rely on trying to isolate against them. If the crisp ball movement and constant motions continues this week, that will be a positive.

I am much more skeptical of the SU defense matching up against UMD. The Terps have weapons everywhere. Donville, Murphy and Wisnuskas can sling it from the outside, Khan, Long and Malever are good dodgers and they share the ball really well. The SU shorties will be tested big time this week. The Orange had serious problems when it came to communications and slides last year, how much has that improved? Is this the game we see that issue fixed? We will see Caccamo inserted into the starting lineup? This side of the field will obviously be uber interesting given that this is a showdown between two long term colleagues and mentor/mentees in Petro vs Benson.

I think the chances of SU taking down the Terps is a tall one, but there is a template. Personally, I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about this game despite the strong showing Syracuse had last week. I'm just not sure the defense is quite ready for the juggernaut that is Maryland's offense.

Ultimately this isn't a make or break game for the Orange - they will have plenty of chances for quality wins and the ACC games are more important in the grand scheme of things. I am more concerned about the out of conference games against Army, Johns Hopkins and Cornell than this one in particular. Does Gait throw the kitchen sink at this one? Given the amount of players that could hopefully return from injury, I'm interested to see how much playing time guys like Caccomo, Clary Buttermore, Quinn and even Birtwistle get. Does Gait maybe hold them back so they are more healthy against UVA the following week?

Given last year's blowouts, I would be happy if the Orange stayed within five goals this week. Maybe I'm not giving the Orange enough credit, but Maryland looks very good. Of course anything can happen - after the Army loss last year I didn't think Syracuse had any chance at all against Virginia and they beat them by 10. I'm hoping for the same outcome!
Almost forgot about Birtwistle. I take it he is on the injured list

The Orange are coming off a great performance against a not very good team. Up next is the first of many tough opponents. Syracuse's outing against Holy Cross gives me hope that they will give Maryland a run for their money, but it's a tall mountain to climb. In the end I think Maryland takes this one, but hey, that's why they play the game.

On paper UMD doesn't have many holes. They have a very good attack unit and their second midfield is almost as good as their very good first. They have a tough defense led by a First Team All American in Brett Makar. What was supposed to be a weakness at the beginning of the season might instead be a strength as they are facing off at over 70%. If we are nitpicking, the goaltender spot isn't what you would call elite. Logan McNaney returns for the Terps but his save percentage is under 50% (and last year it was only at 52%).

So how does the Orange beat Maryland? I think the key is Jakob Phaup. At the dot, Maryland may have impressive statistics this year, but last year neither one of the top two FOGOS finished above 50%. The key for an upset of the Terps will have to be the key to last year's upsets of the Cavs - face-offs. If SU can dominate possession, I think the offense could get to McNaney. But of course this is easier said than done.

I have to imagine that Makar will mark Dordevic this game, but SU can counter with another strong dodger in Owen Seebold. It should be interesting to see if Syracuse tries to solidifies their midfield lines or if they keep mixing and matching. UMD has very good SSDMs so Syracuse can't rely on trying to isolate against them. If the crisp ball movement and constant motions continues this week, that will be a positive.

I am much more skeptical of the SU defense matching up against UMD. The Terps have weapons everywhere. Donville, Murphy and Wisnuskas can sling it from the outside, Khan, Long and Malever are good dodgers and they share the ball really well. The SU shorties will be tested big time this week. The Orange had serious problems when it came to communications and slides last year, how much has that improved? Is this the game we see that issue fixed? We will see Caccamo inserted into the starting lineup? This side of the field will obviously be uber interesting given that this is a showdown between two long term colleagues and mentor/mentees in Petro vs Benson.

I think the chances of SU taking down the Terps is a tall one, but there is a template. Personally, I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about this game despite the strong showing Syracuse had last week. I'm just not sure the defense is quite ready for the juggernaut that is Maryland's offense.

Ultimately this isn't a make or break game for the Orange - they will have plenty of chances for quality wins and the ACC games are more important in the grand scheme of things. I am more concerned about the out of conference games against Army, Johns Hopkins and Cornell than this one in particular. Does Gait throw the kitchen sink at this one? Given the amount of players that could hopefully return from injury, I'm interested to see how much playing time guys like Caccomo, Clary Buttermore, Quinn and even Birtwistle get. Does Gait maybe hold them back so they are more healthy against UVA the following week?

Given last year's blowouts, I would be happy if the Orange stayed within five goals this week. Maybe I'm not giving the Orange enough credit, but Maryland looks very good. Of course anything can happen - after the Army loss last year I didn't think Syracuse had any chance at all against Virginia and they beat them by 10. I'm hoping for the same outcome!
I thinik McNaney is pretty good. His save percentage is under .500 mostly because of some soft defense against High Point.
Higgins and Puglise are very good at ssdm, but 2 of the Terps regulars Alex Smith and Josh Coffman have missed the first 2 games due to injury. Bubba Fairman has been filling in as a 3rd ssdm nicely for the Terps. Still depth is lacking.
Overall, I don't think the defense has really gelled yet for the Terps.

It will be interesting to see how Wierman does against Phaup on face-offs. Wierman does seem to be improving as he enters his junior season.

Pessimism well earned. You and I have disagreed about the usefulness of cupcakes beginning the schedule. For the first few minutes of the HC game I was thrilled with the SU's attitude, but with each easy goal I became more uneasy. Now, I think the usefulness of a game depends on the game cupcake or not. It should at least test every area of the field. Not true of the HC game. It was a walk over. To draw any conclusion about the Maryland game from this one seems unwarranted.

I'm not good at perceiving sarcasm in written posts, but blowing out Maryland by 5 or 6 goals is laughable.
If SU stays within 7 or 8 I will be pleasantly surprised. SU let some new kids play. Loved every minute. DePietro looks crippled. Goalie threw some fast accurate outlets. He will be severely tested. Alexa at d is worrisome. Dami seems to have slowed down. Loved the ball movement in the first half. Maryland will shut off a lot of the passes HC allowed. Curry won't walk around the Maryland d. It's the SU defense that must hold up for long stretches that seems a lot to ask this early in the season. Who knows. Stuff happens.

Doctah, what do you think the mid lines will be next week? Assuming buttermore and Quinn are back, first line will be those two and curry.

Second line cook, Fio, corsi?

Do you guys ever tailgate? Would love to catch up for a beer before a game. I’m about two hours from cuse and try to make it to most games

Unlikely Quinn and Buttermore would both be on the same line as there skill sets are to similar, it is possible though especially if a team goes to a zone. With both comign back from injury expect SU to tinker with the lineups a bit, I'd like to see both gets some runs with the 1st line. 1st line right now would likely bee Curry, Fiorini and Quinn. Cook will play attack some with Berkman and probably some midfield pending everyone returning back from injury.

Unlikely Quinn and Buttermore would both be on the same line as there skill sets are to similar, it is possible though especially if a team goes to a zone. With both comign back from injury expect SU to tinker with the lineups a bit, I'd like to see both gets some runs with the 1st line.

Will both be back on Sunday?

Agree with most of this, as usual. I hope people understand that SU could play well on Sunday and still lose by a half dozen plus. Maryland is in mid-season form and is a mostly veteran team across the board ( as posted last week only silver lining is they lose a ton to graduation). Would have been nice to have edged up to say a Hobart or SB this week and then Maryland but it is what it is.

As you noted Phaup will need a monster game but SU will also need Savage to be able hold his own, he struggled in the first half last week, can't be 1-6 this week if Phaup needs a blow. A bit of a shock to go from Holy Cross's offense to probably the best offense in teh nation. HOpe the D can hold up but don't be surprised if they get shell-shocked, especially Caccamo and Clary are still playing only minor minutes or none at all. Maryland is going to score, thats pretty clear, how much so is the question. SU's SSDM have been up and down but there is a ton of depth at the position right now. If Dami and Aviles revert to last years struggles we can move quickly to Rosa and the Frosh, both of whom looked good on Saturday. Individual matchups aren't clear with SU's starters still in flux at close but to me Kennedy will clearly get Wisnauskas and Olexo with get Khan. Those two feel like a lock. Clearly SU will not be attempting to double poll so the SSDMs will have their hands full with a really good starting Maryland midfield. I think Fairman playing SSDM makes sense as his numbers were not great shooting wise, the current starters are just better.

Offensively not sure what to expect, again you have potentially 3+ guys who could be healthy that could throw everything we saw last week out of whack. I expect SU will continue to throw a lot of bodies at Maryland, they won't be familiar with a lot of the youngsters and SU may have some advantage there, though I should emphasize "may".
Clearly Hiltz wont be playing so the question becomes will Berkman see a majority of the time again or will Cook see extended time there. I think Gait and March wanted to throw some different looks out there Sat then what we will see vs Maryland, don't be suprrised if Cook plays major minutes at attack. Overall a lot will depend on what the knowns due. SU wont fair will if Dordevic, Curry and Seebold have 2 or 3 pts between the three of them. Yes there going to draw 2 out of Marylands 3 top defenders but these guys have to make na impact, you cant ask Berkman or Cordes to be the answer against a team like Maryland.

I think SU keeping things close here and putting up a good showing will go along way especially with this gauntlet of a schedule. I just hope people will understand if SU gets rocked a bit on a Sat, Maryland is clearly the #1 team and SU is a team with mostly young or really young depth with tons of major pieces missing or not at 100%. Staying mostly injury free and keeping the game competitive will be nearly as good as a victory.

Reading this thread is like finding out someone you care about just suddenly died. Well I prefer to think about this game as a preview of the rematch in the FF.

Reading this thread is like finding out someone you care about just suddenly died. Well I prefer to think about this game as a preview of the rematch in the FF.

I hear ya but we have to give honest takes, I can lie and sound like the Rutty board but I'd prefer not to, lol.

Agree with most of this, as usual. I hope people understand that SU could play well on Sunday and still lose by a half dozen plus. Maryland is in mid-season form and is a mostly veteran team across the board ( as posted last week only silver lining is they lose a ton to graduation). Would have been nice to have edged up to say a Hobart or SB this week and then Maryland but it is what it is.

As you noted Phaup will need a monster game but SU will also need Savage to be able hold his own, he struggled in the first half last week, can't be 1-6 this week if Phaup needs a blow. A bit of a shock to go from Holy Cross's offense to probably the best offense in teh nation. HOpe the D can hold up but don't be surprised if they get shell-shocked, especially Caccamo and Clary are still playing only minor minutes or none at all. Maryland is going to score, thats pretty clear, how much so is the question. SU's SSDM have been up and down but there is a ton of depth at the position right now. If Dami and Aviles revert to last years struggles we can move quickly to Rosa and the Frosh, both of whom looked good on Saturday. Individual matchups aren't clear with SU's starters still in flux at close but to me Kennedy will clearly get Wisnauskas and Olexo with get Khan. Those two feel like a lock. Clearly SU will not be attempting to double poll so the SSDMs will have their hands full with a really good starting Maryland midfield. I think Fairman playing SSDM makes sense as his numbers were not great shooting wise, the current starters are just better.

Offensively not sure what to expect, again you have potentially 3+ guys who could be healthy that could throw everything we saw last week out of whack. I expect SU will continue to throw a lot of bodies at Maryland, they won't be familiar with a lot of the youngsters and SU may have some advantage there, though I should emphasize "may".
Clearly Hiltz wont be playing so the question becomes will Berkman see a majority of the time again or will Cook see extended time there. I think Gait and March wanted to throw some different looks out there Sat then what we will see vs Maryland, don't be suprrised if Cook plays major minutes at attack. Overall a lot will depend on what the knowns due. SU wont fair will if Dordevic, Curry and Seebold have 2 or 3 pts between the three of them. Yes there going to draw 2 out of Marylands 3 top defenders but these guys have to make na impact, you cant ask Berkman or Cordes to be the answer against a team like Maryland.

I think SU keeping things close here and putting up a good showing will go along way especially with this gauntlet of a schedule. I just hope people will understand if SU gets rocked a bit on a Sat, Maryland is clearly the #1 team and SU is a team with mostly young or really young depth with tons of major pieces missing or not at 100%. Staying mostly injury free and keeping the game competitive will be nearly as good as a victory.
Watched several Maryland games last year and that team went on runs that rattles defenses . Some teams such as Rutgers stuck around for awhile then suddenly down several. Saw in playoffs , ND quarter and championship game, how quickly momentum can shift and how quickly they can score when play gets frenzied. Have to maintain composure when that is happening which is easier said that done. Winning faceoffs and goalie robbing some goals would help. Goalie will see many quality shots as their offense is already humming. .Their two AA transfers, Khan and Donville as well as Murphy, have seamlessly blended in and expanded their weapons. Off ball play will be critical as Maryland moves ball off dodges and movement that create openings. Winaskaus for all his production is not a dodger so I see d matchups differently but his shot is deadly when slid off . They did to Loyola's d what our offense did to HC . Hard to assess our dm play off HC but Aviles is healthy, Rosa is now experienced and Rice can play. Quick on/off exchanges are important to preventing mismatches up top. Be disastrous to be unsettled on d so hopefully our ride and transition d is there. Our offense needs it's fair share of possessions, our absurd efficiency numbers will go down. Focus will obviously be on big three so other contributions will be needed to have a legit chance because a higher scoring game is likely. Dont want to embrace moral victories but seeing this early game agaisnt the top team as part of a process more that simply win or lose. Any loss is dissapointing but more disappointing not to be respectable. Staying focused for sixty minutes is imperative.

I hear ya but we have to give honest takes, I can lie and sound like the Rutty board but I'd prefer not to, lol.
well, if you're not gonna lie, you shouldn't say being competitive will be nearly as good as winning!! because it won't be!!

Watched several Maryland games last year and that team went on runs that rattles defenses . Some teams such as Rutgers stuck around for awhile then suddenly down several. Saw in playoffs , ND quarter and championship game, how quickly momentum can shift and how quickly they can score when play gets frenzied. Have to maintain composure when that is happening which is easier said that done. Winning faceoffs and goalie robbing some goals would help. Goalie will see many quality shots as their offense is already humming. .Their two AA transfers, Khan and Donville as well as Murphy, have seamlessly blended in and expanded their weapons. Off ball play will be critical as Maryland moves ball off dodges and movement that create openings. Winaskaus for all his production is not a dodger so I see d matchups differently but his shot is deadly when slid off . They did to Loyola's d what our offense did to HC . Hard to assess our dm play off HC but Aviles is healthy, Rosa is now experienced and Rice can play. Quick on/off exchanges are important to preventing mismatches up top. Be disastrous to be unsettled on d so hopefully our ride and transition d is there. Our offense needs it's fair share of possessions, our absurd efficiency numbers will go down. Focus will obviously be on big three so other contributions will be needed to have a legit chance because a higher scoring game is likely. Dont want to embrace moral victories but seeing this early game agaisnt the top team as part of a process more that simply win or lose. Any loss is dissapointing but more disappointing not to be respectable. Staying focused for sixty minutes is imperative.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Cuse play really well against MD. After all, Jacksonville beat Duke when no one thought it was possible even on a bad day for Duke.
Maryland hasn't played in the Dome in a long time (did they ever??) and the adrenaline will be pumping for Cuse. Team energy wasn't something that Cuse demonstrated a lot of last year (the first beatdown of UVA being a notable exception) - they looked tired and slow as the season wore on. Last weekend's game against HC was the most energy I've seen out of a Cuse team in quite a few years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cuse play really well against MD. After all, Jacksonville beat Duke when no one thought it was possible even on a bad day for Duke.
Maryland hasn't played in the Dome in a long time (did they ever??) and the adrenaline will be pumping for Cuse. Team energy wasn't something that Cuse demonstrated a lot of last year (the first beatdown of UVA being a notable exception) - they looked tired and slow as the season wore on. Last weekend's game against HC was the most energy I've seen out of a Cuse team in quite a few years.

To answer your question Maryland last played at the dome in 2014 (the one and only ACC match-up between the schools) and won 16-8.

I’m interested in the rotation/lines we should expect to see whether we are winning or losing.

The key to this game for Syracuse is simple and obvious: control possessions. Win faceoffs, win the ground ball battle, limit Maryland to one and dones, stay out of the box, no unforced turnovers, clear above 90%. There is no other way. How they do that is the hard part.

Guys are bringing energy every day. Looking for execution on Sunday.

Can't give up easy opportunities to MD.

Corsi and Cordes are solid players who understand their roles.

Joey will wear #22, and I can't think of a better guy.

Well deserved honor for Slugger.

Gait helped repair Emily H's stick during the Stanford game while he was sitting in the stands.

Last edited:
I wonder if Maltz has been banged up or something. He has been playing rather sparingly so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom