Maryland Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Gameday...

Aviles was burnt a few times, have to watch the tape again but Rosa looks good
He did but he also stood his ground quite a bit. It’s the toughest position in the sport and given the competition you are going to get burned a few times.

Neither. Just saying that MD is more than a "quality team" and that I wouldn't say Cuse failed. Obvious flaws were exposed but in the end, it was a competitive game won by the better team, who happens to be the top team in the nation.
nit picking. Losing is always a fail. Not a catastrophy but definitrly a fail.

Did you read his post? To translate for you, he said they are much more than a “quality team”. Syracuse gave a good account of themselves yesterday against the nations best team. Your comment that they failed was overly negative. That is indisputable.
Did you read my post or just fail to comprehend the meaning? Context is the key.

Terp midfielders did score 9 of the Terps' goals.

Watched the extended highlights and it looks like SU d middies were responsible for three goals, one for Rice when he was late subbing on and two for Aviles, beat clean by DeMaio for one and then Donville later on. At least two Terp middie goals were on the man up and one was a d middie in transition. Seemed like the SU defense played well for the most part but also created a few very open shots for Maryland with some bad slides/general confusion. But that’s what Maryland will do. Maryland also took advantage of SU o middies that got caught on defense later in the game.

Another game where Danny Maltz played rather sparingly.

Wasn't that kind of expected based on the transfers they brought in or maybe just more of a possibility? Not sure who specifically is getting his minutes but if nothing else it's nice to have someone of his calibur incase injuries pop up.

Wasn't that kind of expected based on the transfers they brought in or maybe just more of a possibility? Not sure who specifically is getting his minutes but if nothing else it's nice to have someone of his calibur incase injuries pop up.
I imagine someone would have to sit some with the transfers. Of course, Fairman is playing as an ssdm. At the moment, Malever seems to be starting in Maltz's spot.
I can't really remember a starting attackman who scored 40+, getting such reduced minutes the next season, barring his being injured, at Maryland.

I imagine someone would have to sit some with the transfers. Of course, Fairman is playing as an ssdm. At the moment, Malever seems to be starting in Maltz's spot.
I can't really remember a starting attackman who scored 40+, getting such reduced minutes the next season, barring his being injured, at Maryland.
to me, it's a case of allowing the opponent to dictate not just how you play, but who you play. neither of which i agree with if you're maryland. the proof will be in the pudding, i guess.

Watched the extended highlights and it looks like SU d middies were responsible for three goals, one for Rice when he was late subbing on and two for Aviles, beat clean by DeMaio for one and then Donville later on. At least two Terp middie goals were on the man up and one was a d middie in transition. Seemed like the SU defense played well for the most part but also created a few very open shots for Maryland with some bad slides/general confusion. But that’s what Maryland will do. Maryland also took advantage of SU o middies that got caught on defense later in the game.
I'm wondering whether Fairman and Maltz were experiments. Fairman was a bear on offense last year. He could play anywhere on the offensive side of the ball. Maltz was an excellent sniper. Maybe Tillman decided to make an early assessment in a game he calculated he could win. If he needed to, he could have moved both players back to their previous positions.

To me, the game was not as close as the score indicated. Md lost 3 goals on crease violations. Two seemed questionable calls. Md appeared faster and stronger, better on the ground, better defensively. I have not seen the stats, but Phaup did not seem as dominant as some posters remarked. Aviles is a mystery. He covered tough mids easily, was fast to the ball and carried very well his first year. Now he seems a shadow of himself. Curry struggled to throw the ball in the ocean, a problem throughout his career, but he faced excellent longs who doubled him very often. He is not a selfish player. I have the feeling the coaches told him to attack the goal. He was out there the whole game.

He did but he also stood his ground quite a bit. It’s the toughest position in the sport and given the competition you are going to get burned a few times.
Defenders are going to get scored upon by talented offensive players even when their d is good. Donville backhanded shot was close to indefensible for a shorter player. Grass is always greener on the other side here at Syracusefan. Dordevic posted five and it wasn't agaisnt anyone crappy .I look at quality of overall defensive play rather than any boxscore n consider context of opponent, responsibility of coaches to avoid mismatches in size, speed or talent. What bugs most is the fock ups where one simply loses their assignment land wanders to another covered leaving another wide open Thought we defended ,slid ,hedged n recovered fairly well agaisnt a offense that can slice you up on dodges and kick outs to cutters . Biggest issue on Sunday was number of times d was unsettled which allowed skip passes and created opportunity for their outside shooters . Maryland moved ball upfield too often and easily with single twenty yards passes to space. Some came off turnovers up top, some happened when on/off switches were being made with us trailing. Maryland is a very good team as is UVA . Their hybrid attack is another huge challenge. Not going to beat them scoring just ten goals . Competitiveness was encouraging but improvement remains to be made on both sides

I'm wondering whether Fairman and Maltz were experiments. Fairman was a bear on offense last year. He could play anywhere on the offensive side of the ball. Maltz was an excellent sniper. Maybe Tillman decided to make an early assessment in a game he calculated he could win. If he needed to, he could have moved both players back to their previous positions.

To me, the game was not as close as the score indicated. Md lost 3 goals on crease violations. Two seemed questionable calls. Md appeared faster and stronger, better on the ground, better defensively. I have not seen the stats, but Phaup did not seem as dominant as some posters remarked. Aviles is a mystery. He covered tough mids easily, was fast to the ball and carried very well his first year. Now he seems a shadow of himself. Curry struggled to throw the ball in the ocean, a problem throughout his career, but he faced excellent longs who doubled him very often. He is not a selfish player. I have the feeling the coaches told him to attack the goal. He was out there the whole game.
Phaup was better than final stats. Several of his losses were from jumping too soon. He had 12 gb's to Wiermans 2 and withstood alot of banging on wins . He was fing terrific. Curry had a bad day plain and simple, it happens to everyone he is a terrific player who draws alot of defensive attention with Dordevic now at attack. Quinn capitalized and others need to do same when Curry reverses ball when double is coming. Aviles has to focus on keeping feet moving on checks. He is a top athlete and that is correctable . Rules are rules, Frattegio and Olexo were penalized for their infractions and Maryland scored one out of two and Demaio clearly stepped in. Coulda, shoulda woulda goes both ways , we had several inside feeds that were missed and hit pipes twice. Hear Hearing Maryland fans saying they didnt play their best but neither did Cuse . Hiltz out and three mids playing for first time in three months and team crawled back into game after a slow start.

Donville was a top pick in the NLL draft, he would be most teams number one middie, but on Maryland he has four or five other linemates who are just as good. Shorties get attacked for a reason. I was disappointed in Aviles in the moment (he got beat just a play earlier by Donville but the shot went wide), but the fact of the matter is Maryland is just really really freaking good. Hopefully Aviles will rebound but on the whole the rope unit created a number of turnovers man to man looked good for the most part. It wasn't the best performance, but given the opponent it also wasn't that bad.

Donville was a top pick in the NLL draft, he would be most teams number one middie, but on Maryland he has four or five other linemates who are just as good. Shorties get attacked for a reason. I was disappointed in Aviles in the moment (he got beat just a play earlier by Donville but the shot went wide), but the fact of the matter is Maryland is just really really freaking good. Hopefully Aviles will rebound but on the whole the rope unit created a number of turnovers man to man looked good for the most part. It wasn't the best performance, but given the opponent it also wasn't that bad.
I thought Aviles looked gassed on that last play. Aviles and Rice played the majority of the ssdm minutes so were understandably tired late in the fourth. That last play is also on the rest of the D who did not even come close to sliding on time. In general we were a good deal more hesitant to slide compared last year, which lead to less of the team defense breakdowns. Guys were often showing like they were about to slide and not actually abandoning their man, which did just enough to deter the ball carrier. That last play was an example of going to far in the other direction.

maryland's now 3 games in, it wasn't a single game experiment. fairman's at ssdm at least partly out of necessity, their ssdms are dinged up.

all the crease calls were spot on. save for the possibility wiz could've possibly been given a 1 min for goalie contact, given how it's been officiated. (someone could argue he got a push, but to me he turned his torso to shoot last second, so not a push). any event, all 3 goals needed to be wiped.

curry got run into the ground early. imo.

to me, it's a case of allowing the opponent to dictate not just how you play, but who you play. neither of which i agree with if you're maryland. the proof will be in the pudding, i guess.
The other thing that concerns me is the similarity to the Derek Maltz case.
Looking at it from the Danny Maltz perspective. Here you are returning after starting and scoring 50 points in your first full season, maybe hoping to up that to 60 this spring and even get some All-American attention. Now you are sitting on the bench watching 75% of the game. Certainly, in that position one would try to do their best and help the team, but when summer came it would be time to try the transfer portal.

The other thing that concerns me is the similarity to the Derek Maltz case.
Looking at it from the Danny Maltz perspective. Here you are returning after starting and scoring 50 points in your first full season, maybe hoping to up that to 60 this spring and even get some All-American attention. Now you are sitting on the bench watching 75% of the game. Certainly, in that position one would try to do their best and help the team, but when summer came it would be time to try the transfer portal.

Maltz family isn't exactly shy about transferring but I am not sure he would pull the trigger to be honest. The most obvious destination on paper is SU but that bridge was damaged heavily with the Derek situation from both sides. UNC makes some sense with Gray graduating but I think he's likely to stick around when Maryland loses a large chunk of what's in front of him to graduation after the season.

Maltz family isn't exactly shy about transferring but I am not sure he would pull the trigger to be honest. The most obvious destination on paper is SU but that bridge was damaged heavily with the Derek situation from both sides. UNC makes some sense with Gray graduating but I think he's likely to stick around when Maryland loses a large chunk of what's in front of him to graduation after the season.
Was it a Desko thing? Would a new regime help to mend fences.

I watched the 4th quarter of the game again. Maltz played so well. I am almost sure he most be recovering from an injury or being sick or something.

Was it a Desko thing? Would a new regime help to mend fences.

The family was upset with Desko but hard to fault him when Staats was clearly the better attackmen. They tried Derek at midfield but it didn't really work and the family was pissed he lost his starting job as a Sr, hence his bros transfer and SU not recruiting the third brother.

I watched the 4th quarter of the game again. Maltz played so well. I am almost sure he most be recovering from an injury or being sick or something.
he's running around fine when he's out there. and he's not asked to dodge guys. there's no indication it's anything other than a choice made, as in maltz getting pulled some in the champ game.

remember, benson couldn't retool everything last year, he came in late. now he has a full year to install what he wants.

with the bagels thrown up sunday in their 1st tight game, maybe things will change at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom