Maryland to the Big Ten? | Syracusefan.com

Maryland to the Big Ten?

They don't have an extra $10 available in their athletic department. How in the world could they come up with $50 million to leave the ACC?

They don't have an extra $10 available in their athletic department. How in the world could they come up with $50 million to leave the ACC?

When is $50 million not $50 million? When it's positioned as a conference "buyout." The next time a buyout is the amount stated in the conference bylaws might be the first lol

The answer is pretty easy if the Big Ten wants Maryland. Typically the buyout is spread out over a few years anyhow. So the Big Ten could simply cover the cost of whatever the negotiated fee actually is (which won't be anywhere near $50 million) and then Maryland will simply have a portion of their revenue withheld by the Big Ten until the league is fully reimbursed. That was done with Nebraska as well.

The Big Ten schools are currently bringing in almost $9 million a year, on average, more than ACC schools. That means if the buyout is $27 million, Maryland would earn back the cost of the buyout simply by changing leagues. If the Big Ten partially covers some of those costs, it won't cost Maryland much to get out.

When is $50 million not $50 million? When it's positioned as a conference "buyout." The next time a buyout is the amount stated in the conference bylaws might be the first lol

The answer is pretty easy if the Big Ten wants Maryland. Typically the buyout is spread out over a few years anyhow. So the Big Ten could simply cover the cost of whatever the negotiated fee actually is (which won't be anywhere near $50 million) and then Maryland will simply have a portion of their revenue withheld by the Big Ten until the league is fully reimbursed. That was done with Nebraska as well.

The Big Ten schools are currently bringing in almost $9 million a year, on average, more than ACC schools. That means if the buyout is $27 million, Maryland would earn back the cost of the buyout simply by changing leagues. If the Big Ten partially covers some of those costs, it won't cost Maryland much to get out.

So the ACC still gets $50M right? Cool.

You know who is the least excited about these rumors? The fans of Big 10 schools.

We need another thread about this?

You know who is the least excited about these rumors? The fans of Big 10 schools.

Ain't that the truth. How does Delany (a jersey guy) actually sell the addition of Schools like Maryland, and especially Rutgers to his constituents? Seems like a tough sell to me. Strike out with ND, so the consolation prize is Maryland and Rutgers? Yikes. Both obviously have the great fortune of being near major markets. I guess thats enough these days.

If this were to happen, does the ACC simply fill Maryland with Uconn or Lville? Does this instability do anything to upset FSu or Clemson? This could create more major dominoes I would guess.[/quote]

The ACC won't see anywhere near $50 million. I'd be surprised if it's half that.

And from my experience, more Big Ten fans like the idea of Maryland than don't. Certainly not all of them are excited about Maryland, but many think it's a very good academic, financial, athletic and cultural fit.

Ain't that the truth. How does Delany (a jersey guy) actually sell the addition of Schools like Maryland, and especially Rutgers to his constituents? Seems like a tough sell to me. Strike out with ND, so the consolation prize is Maryland and Rutgers? Yikes. Both obviously have the great fortune of being near major markets. I guess thats enough these days.

If this were to happen, does the ACC simply fill Maryland with Uconn or Lville? Does this instability do anything to upset FSu or Clemson? This could create more major dominoes I would guess.
[/quote]

Maryland isn't a tough sell. As I said to Chip, many Big Ten fans like the idea of adding Maryland. Rutgers is a tougher sell, but I think people get the rationale behind it.

Maryland doesn't even own the Baltimore and DC markets the pro teams do. The redskins even when they are pathetic get more publicity and the ravens are 100 times more popular.

I don't expect the B10 to expand again unless it involves Oklahoma or Texas.

Maryland doesn't even own the Baltimore and DC markets the pro teams do. The redskins even when they are pathetic get more publicity and the ravens are 100 times more popular.

They don't have to own it. They only have to be on it.

Maryland isn't a tough sell. As I said to Chip, many Big Ten fans like the idea of adding Maryland. Rutgers is a tougher sell, but I think people get the rationale behind it.[/quote]

The B1G thnks of itself as the premier athletic conference in the country. I think some would consider it a bit of a head scratcher to add schools like Maryland and rutgers to the slate. If I were a B1G fan, I would. Not exactly a HOme run. Clearly this is all about location, location, location though.

They don't have to own it. They only have to be on it.

They share it with UVa and VT. If those UMD donors are willing to throw away UNC and Duke for Iowa then so be it, but I really doubt it.

Maryland isn't a tough sell. As I said to Chip, many Big Ten fans like the idea of adding Maryland. Rutgers is a tougher sell, but I think people get the rationale behind it.

The B1G thnks of itself as the premier athletic conference in the country. I think some would consider it a bit of a head scratcher to add schools like Maryland and rutgers to the slate. If I were a B1G fan, I would. Not exactly a HOme run. Clearly this is all about location, location, location though.[/quote]

I think too many people are making the mistake that the Big Ten is looking for proven commodities. I think what they're ultimately looking for is schools that will continue to increase the bottom line which will improve facilities and attract talent. The Big Ten is approaching this in a way of trickle-down economics.

Michigan will always be Michigan in football. Indiana will always be Indiana in basketball. The Big Ten believes it doesn't necessarily need to add another Michigan or Ohio State in football to improve. It can greatly enhance the resources by adding schools in markets that improve the revenue. And that money will be used to grow.

Maryland and especially Rutgers aren't home runs. But they're good additions for a league that is focused on expanding its footprint nationally and into new television markets.

They share it with UVa and VT. If those UMD donors are willing to throw away UNC and Duke for Iowa then so be it, but I really doubt it.

But again, it doesn't matter if they share it. If Maryland get the Big Ten Network on basic cable in the entire state, Comcast and other operators will have to pay the Big Ten for those fees. The Big Ten doesn't care who Maryland is sharing the market with. They only want to be on in those markets at a higher fee rate.

The ACC won't see anywhere near $50 million. I'd be surprised if it's half that.

And from my experience, more Big Ten fans like the idea of Maryland than don't. Certainly not all of them are excited about Maryland, but many think it's a very good academic, financial, athletic and cultural fit.

I would guess Big 10 fans think if it makes them more money through Big 10 Network in a new state, then yeah, it's a good fit. Otherwise, come on. (for the record, I think they would have felt the same way about Syracuse, other than maybe liking the chance to play us in hoops).

But again, it doesn't matter if they share it. If Maryland get the Big Ten Network on basic cable in the entire state, Comcast and other operators will have to pay the Big Ten for those fees. The Big Ten doesn't care who Maryland is sharing the market with. They only want to be on in those markets at a higher fee rate.

I live in Virginia and get the Big 10 network. Maryland is taxed to death as is, I doubt a cable tv fight is what Gov O'Malley wants. I would their fans also, as they are known to do, would riot at the notion. Maryland is a hoops school.

In WVU's case $5 million- or was it $10 million- became $20 million.

That's what happens.

MD isn't going anywhere.

The ACC will see every penny of that $50 million one way or the other. West Virginia paid $20, Syracuse and Pitt paid $7.5 leaving a Big East that required $5

I think too many people are making the mistake that the Big Ten is looking for proven commodities. I think what they're ultimately looking for is schools that will continue to increase the bottom line which will improve facilities and attract talent. The Big Ten is approaching this in a way of trickle-down economics.

I've heard this before, but in reality the last time around they tried for all proven commodities (ND, Texas, Texas A&M, etc) and only got Nebraska.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom