Maryland to the Big Ten? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland to the Big Ten?

Alex Prewitt@alex_prewitt
Spoke with Len Elmore. He anticipates a backlash from alumni if Big Ten move happens. "It's nuts. [Maryland is] blinded by the dollars."

Alex Prewitt@alex_prewitt
Elmore also anticipates a "buyer's remorse" by the University of Maryland. "I think it will be a bad move and generate remorse."

Here we go with New Math that WVU fans made infamous the past 10 months. :crazy:

On game day, I don't have the heart or will to show you how off your projections are. But I'm sure later this week, if the rumor is still going, I will find it.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, you need to only go back a couple of days and read the AP Reports. There are no "projections" about it. That's straight from the reports of the arrangements finalized this past week.

The playoff will distribute playoff monies evenly among the five major conferences. However, each conference gets to keep its tie-in share on top of the playoff revenue.

For the Rose Bowl this is $40 million each to the Big Ten and Pac-12
For the Sugar Bowl this is $40 million each to the SEC and Big 12
For the Orange Bowl, this is $30 million each to the ACC and either Big Ten/SEC or Notre Dame

So in years where the Big Ten places two teams in major bowls, that is $40 million additional revenue more than the ACC. There's nothing fuzzy about that math.

As far as the TV revenue, the Big Ten, even after the ACC extended their deal, is currently making $5 million more now than the ACC is expected to earn in the middle of their deal with ESPN. But what you are completely and utterly overlooking is that the Big Ten, just this year, is now being paid dividends from their 50/50 ownership stake in the BTN. The first five years of the deal they were only bringing in rights fees because all the profits were going back to NewsCorp for the initial $80 million investment. Everyone and anyone has said the Big Ten will get a huge raise in 3 years with re-upping with ESPN or going to Comcast. Do you disagree with any of this, and if so, why?

^^Kyle, the Orange Bowl pay-out is 55 million split in half. That's 27.5 million to the ACC and 27.5 million to the B1G/SEC/Notre Dame.

Scott Van Peezy. Bonnie Bernstein, too, is a UMD grad. She has an interesting nickname that's pretty popular around that campus.
for God's sake, please tell me the nickname. I's gots to know.

You need to sharpen your math skills. Md will never pay more because there is no time constraint. The BE was 5 and 27mos. WVU paid more to get out in less than 27 months. MD has no restriction so they wont have to negotiate $$$ for also leaving early.

Also, stop saying WVU paid 20. The BE receiving 20 is not the same as WVU paying 20. They paid less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I believe that I read that when the ACC went to the $50 mil exit fee they also instituted a 10 months notice provision.

I believe that I read that when the ACC went to the $50 mil exit fee they also instituted a 10 months notice provision.

Yea, saw that today. Don't really see that as anything except common sense more so than a penalty. Someone leaving just a couple months notice isn't even giving the conference they are going to anytime to fit them in the schedule.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

^^Kyle, the Orange Bowl pay-out is 55 million split in half. That's 27.5 million to the ACC and 27.5 million to the B1G/SEC/Notre Dame.

The first report I saw had it being $60 million split in half, but there may have been a subsequent report that lowered that $60 million number. But yeah, you get the gist of my point RE: bowl revenue.

the acc will get more than 27.5mil when notre dame is in the game

What do you honestly think my motive is?

Maybe to find an audience, any audience...since you have no apparent traditional/reputable gig otherwise...a journeyman more or less...trying to find a home...anywhere, nowhere, somewhere... :noidea:

Maybe to find an audience, any audience...since you have no apparent traditional/reputable gig otherwise...a journeyman more or less...trying to find a home...anywhere, nowhere, somewhere... :noidea:

Earlier in this thread I was told I only show up once in a while now I'm being told I'm desperate to find an audience. I guess I should come around more often. God knows I'm missing out on my dream of being a Syracuse message board legend.

:)

Neil, you need to only go back a couple of days and read the AP Reports. There are no "projections" about it. That's straight from the reports of the arrangements finalized this past week.

The playoff will distribute playoff monies evenly among the five major conferences. However, each conference gets to keep its tie-in share on top of the playoff revenue.

For the Rose Bowl this is $40 million each to the Big Ten and Pac-12
For the Sugar Bowl this is $40 million each to the SEC and Big 12
For the Orange Bowl, this is $30 million each to the ACC and either Big Ten/SEC or Notre Dame

So in years where the Big Ten places two teams in major bowls, that is $40 million additional revenue more than the ACC. There's nothing fuzzy about that math.

Let me first begin by saying, you were right and I was obviously wrong in terms of the Maryland rumor to the BiG. It is definitely a real possibility.

As for your $$$ statement, I am of the opinion that the new system is more complicated than what you presented, and we still don't have all of the answers as of yet. But, yes, it does appear from the contract bowl revenues ONLY, the Big Ten conference in the three years it will be an OB opponent, they will receive $40 million more than the ACC conference.

In the three years when an SEC team is the opponent in the OB, the Big Ten conference will receive $12.5 million more than the ACC conference.

But what potentially happens the other six years?

We know that ND will get substantially less than the SEC or BiG. So isn't it reasonable to assume that the split those years might be 40/15? If that is the case then the two years when ND is the likely opponent, the ACC and Big Ten conferences will likely receive the exact same amount.

What happens in the four years when the OB is a semi-final game? Isn't it possible that the ACC conference as the sole rights owner of the OB gets the entire $55 million? And if so, doesn't that mean in those 4 years, the ACC conference receives $15 million more than the Big Ten conference from contract bowl monies?

How this may break out over a 12-period from contract bowl monies is as follows:

Big Ten - $562.5 million over 12 years
SEC - $562.5 million over 12 years
Big 12 - $480 million over 12 years
Pac 12 - $480 million over 12 years
ACC - $465 million over 12 years
ND - $30 million over 12 years

Now, when one divides the total amount by 12 years and then by the number of members in each conference, right now the big winners are the Big 12 and the Big Ten. But if the Big 12 remains at 10 and the Big Ten expands to 14, then basically it means that per team the Big 12 gets $4 million annually while BiG (at 14), SEC and Pac teams get about $3.3 million annually, while ACC teams get about $2.8 million annually. So the gap between the ACC and BiG is less than the gap between the BiG (if it goes to 14) than the Big 12. Should the likes of Nebraska, Iowa, etc petition the Big 12 for membership?

From my perspective, what you pointed out above in terms of contract bowl monies is not as significant as you presented it when it is looked at over the entire 12 year period. And who knows what will happen in terms of the playoff monies and the at-large selections? And it was this I was reacted to.

In terms of TV dollars, I was on the BTN bandwagon long before most, having written a post about how it and the Plus ONe model was likely to change the college landscape back prior to when the BTN was struggling to start-up. Still, the difference right now in terms of TV money is also not as significant as you claim, but I have no doubt when they renegotiate in the very near future, that yes the BiG will open up that gap even further.

After a huge win tonight, that is about all I'm going to say on this topic until we find out early next week where things stand.

Cheers,
Neil

Let me first begin by saying, you were right and I was obviously wrong in terms of the Maryland rumor to the BiG. It is definitely a real possibility.

As for your $$$ statement, I am of the opinion that the new system is more complicated than what you presented, and we still don't have all of the answers as of yet. But, yes, it does appear from the contract bowl revenues ONLY, the Big Ten conference in the three years it will be an OB opponent, they will receive $40 million more than the ACC conference.

In the three years when an SEC team is the opponent in the OB, the Big Ten conference will receive $12.5 million more than the ACC conference.

But what potentially happens the other six years?

We know that ND will get substantially less than the SEC or BiG. So isn't it reasonable to assume that the split those years might be 40/15? If that is the case then the two years when ND is the likely opponent, the ACC and Big Ten conferences will likely receive the exact same amount.

What happens in the four years when the OB is a semi-final game? Isn't it possible that the ACC conference as the sole rights owner of the OB gets the entire $55 million? And if so, doesn't that mean in those 4 years, the ACC conference receives $15 million more than the Big Ten conference from contract bowl monies?

How this may break out over a 12-period from contract bowl monies is as follows:

Big Ten - $562.5 million over 12 years
SEC - $562.5 million over 12 years
Big 12 - $480 million over 12 years
Pac 12 - $480 million over 12 years
ACC - $465 million over 12 years
ND - $30 million over 12 years

Now, when one divides the total amount by 12 years and then by the number of members in each conference, right now the big winners are the Big 12 and the Big Ten. But if the Big 12 remains at 10 and the Big Ten expands to 14, then basically it means that per team the Big 12 gets $4 million annually while BiG (at 14), SEC and Pac teams get about $3.3 million annually, while ACC teams get about $2.8 million annually. So the gap between the ACC and BiG is less than the gap between the BiG (if it goes to 14) than the Big 12. Should the likes of Nebraska, Iowa, etc petition the Big 12 for membership?

From my perspective, what you pointed out above in terms of contract bowl monies is not as significant as you presented it when it is looked at over the entire 12 year period. And who knows what will happen in terms of the playoff monies and the at-large selections? And it was this I was reacted to.

In terms of TV dollars, I was on the BTN bandwagon long before most, having written a post about how it and the Plus ONe model was likely to change the college landscape back prior to when the BTN was struggling to start-up. Still, the difference right now in terms of TV money is also not as significant as you claim, but I have no doubt when they renegotiate in the very near future, that yes the BiG will open up that gap even further.

After a huge win tonight, that is about all I'm going to say on this topic until we find out early next week where things stand.

Cheers,
Neil

I appreciate the response. And for the record, I agree with everything you posted here. This is how I view it as well. I didn't mean to imply the gap was huge from this deal specifically, necessarily, but all I meant was that the gap would be bigger on account of this new playoff deal.

Scott Van Pelt has said he's hearing these rumors have legs. He's a Maryland grad, FWIW.
Just wanted to come back to acknowledge the egg on my face. You were right, Kyle.

I'm still holding out hope that this all falls apart and Swofford has some judo move up his sleeve that makes the ACC come out stronger. Not likely, but...hey, realignment sucks.

Just wanted to come back to acknowledge the egg on my face. You were right, Kyle.

I'm still holding out hope that this all falls apart and Swofford has some judo move up his sleeve that makes the ACC come out stronger. Not likely, but...hey, realignment sucks.

I appreciate it but no harm no foul. I'm just a hilljack off the street as far as you all are concerned so I'd have been skeptical too.

All I wanted to impress on people is that the Maryland talks with the Big Ten have been ongoing for two years, which is why this was able to come about so quickly and suddenly without anyone knowing. Last year when I was talking about Maryland, it was based on much more than a hunch. But timing was holding it up. Last October, I think I posted the Big Ten's goal as being Notre Dame, Texas, Maryland and Rutgers. Obviously they struck out with Notre Dame and the Big 12 wound up sticking together. Now they've probably changed their targets for the last two spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom