Maryland to the Big Ten? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland to the Big Ten?

How can you not care about the "why?" The "why" is the whole basis of "when" a stipulation is met.

The exit fee for West Virginia was $5 million and 27 months notice. The reason for the settlement was because of the possibility of punitive damages for West Virginia breaking the 27 months notice, not because of the exit fee. That's wholly relevant because negotiating an exit fee isn't the same as collecting damages for breaking the contract to begin with.

Regardless, Maryland will not, and I will state this emphatically because I have a high level of confidence, will not wind up paying anywhere near $50 million. The punitive nature will have that tossed out if it's challenged, but it won't likely get that far. I imagine you'll wind up seeing about half of that paid -- about $15 million by Maryland and $10 million by the Big Ten. But it won't be a total of $50 million.

WVU paid not to avoid punitive damages but to get out in time for the 2012 season in accordance with the Big XII offer.

MD is not leaving.

But if it were to go it would pay more than $50 million.

The exit figure does not violate the Sherman Act- it is not an unreasonable restraint of trade
- it would not be set aside because it is a reasonable restriction on movement and that is permitted.

The biggest point everyone ignores is why would the big10 go to 13 teams, that just means more splits to the pie with no big money coming on to justify expansion. The Big 10 expansions have always been for big name schools Penn St, Nebraska great football and name. Maryland doesn't possess any kind of reputation except middle of the pack.

WVU paid not to avoid punitive damages but to get out in time for the 2012 season in accordance with the Big XII offer.

MD is not leaving.

But if it were to go it would pay more than $50 million.

The exit figure does not violate the Sherman Act- it is not an unreasonable restraint of trade
- it would not be set aside because it is a reasonable restriction on movement and that is permitted.

You need to sharpen your math skills. Md will never pay more because there is no time constraint. The BE was 5 and 27mos. WVU paid more to get out in less than 27 months. MD has no restriction so they wont have to negotiate $$$ for also leaving early.

Also, stop saying WVU paid 20. The BE receiving 20 is not the same as WVU paying 20. They paid less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Was Maryland the other school, along with FSU, that voted against the $50 mil exit fee?

Yes.

The biggest point everyone ignores is why would the big10 go to 13 teams, that just means more splits to the pie with no big money coming on to justify expansion. The Big 10 expansions have always been for big name schools Penn St, Nebraska great football and name. Maryland doesn't possess any kind of reputation except middle of the pack.

Maryland also has a reputation for losing lots of money on its athletics department. Just like Rutgers and, to a lesser degree, Florida State. Money problems are part of the fuel that fires these realignment rumors. If Maryland was financially comfortable chances are the Greg Swaims of the world would be talking about some other financially struggling or butthurt university.

You need to sharpen your math skills. Md will never pay more because there is no time constraint. The BE was 5 and 27mos. WVU paid more to get out in less than 27 months. MD has no restriction so they wont have to negotiate $$$ for also leaving early.

Also, stop saying WVU paid 20. The BE receiving 20 is not the same as WVU paying 20. They paid less.

I strongly suspect that WVU will end up paying the Big XII the full exit figure - one way or another it will pay.

As far as the components of the ACC exit protocol I find it hard to believe that the conference would allow a team to leave at a moment's notice - that would cause tremendous scheduling and logistics issues.

Do you have access to the ACC Conference Agreement Exit Language by chance?

How about Maryland to the B1G TAKING Penn State's 12th slot and Penn State goes to the ACC. 1 for 1 swap? If the B1G goes to 14 Virginia, UConn or Rutgers would most likely be the 14th team.

Per this September Forbes article -- http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/09/19/accs-new-exit-fee-punitive-or-par-for-the-course/ -- "An exiting school must notify the conference and its members of its plans by August 15 in order to leave by the end of the following June, a roughly ten-month wait."

But this guy thinks the bylaws might've been changed: http://tuxedoyoda.blogspot.com/2012/07/august-15-deadline-in-acc-to-notify-for.html?m=1

Tuxedoyoda is a Texas-based provacateur. He shows up whenever there are rumblings and rumors that could spell trouble for the ACC or enhance the power and prestige of Texas and the "Big 12." This guy was among the first to show up on the Scout Maryland board to "welcome" the Terps to the Big 10. Not saying his opinion in this case is off base but consider the source.

This makes no sense at all. This is about as ludicrous as the FSU to Big 12 rumors. A school that is not breaking even on their athletic budget does not all of a sudden put up millions of dollars just so they can join another conference, with non-traditional rivals, longer commutes, etc, all so they can make an extra 5 to 10 million a year. It would take them years to recover the money, if they ever do.

And the ACC will expect every dime of that $50 million. Not so sure the Big Ten will be so willing to front the money unless they have guarantees MD will pay them. And if MD doesn't have a pot to piss in now, what rock are they going to squeeze that $$$ out of? Sounds like they would be giving back some of their conference take every season just to settle the debt. Then what? After the debt is paid, say 5 years out, now they are making only slightly more than the re-vamped ACC is now that ND is a full member and PSU has joined. Maybe they are making less? Who knows. The bottom line is that MD is not a Big Ten type school, and Maryland fans will have ZERO interest in playing Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska in basketball. Long term this would be a loser for the school, it's alumni, and it's fans.

Sorry. Ain't happening. I think these rumors are swirling because there were PSU to ACC rumors swirling two weeks ago. The BIG could be scared.

I think these rumors are swirling because there were PSU to ACC rumors swirling two weeks ago. The BIG could be scared.

Whether it's scared or simply wants to re-assert it's territory, I think you are onto something here. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

This rumor is being stoked by a guy with a picture of Yoda wearing a tux and the usual internet enthusiasts.

Walk up to Joe Maryland fan, tell him Duke and UNC and UVa are gone forever, to be replaced by Michigan State, Illinois, and Minnesota.

This whole notion is entering marketplaces, etc is funny. Big 10 schools get whoever they want from the east coast anyway.

This rumor is being stoked by a guy with a picture of Yoda wearing a tux and the usual internet enthusiasts.

Walk up to Joe Maryland fan, tell him Duke and UNC and UVa are gone forever, to be replaced by Michigan State, Illinois, and Minnesota.

This whole notion is entering marketplaces, etc is funny. Big 10 schools get whoever they want from the east coast anyway.

I don't think it happens either but according to Grosz he was informed by a well respected source at PSU. Not sure this is being fueled by internet drunks or the like.

This makes no sense at all. This is about as ludicrous as the FSU to Big 12 rumors. A school that is not breaking even on their athletic budget does not all of a sudden put up millions of dollars just so they can join another conference, with non-traditional rivals, longer commutes, etc, all so they can make an extra 5 to 10 million a year. It would take them years to recover the money, if they ever do.

This is exactly why' they'll do it. And the projected figures 5-10 years down the road have the Big Ten revenue figures almost $40 million a year in conference distributions. That will be a solid $15 million+ more than the ACC. That's why they'll do it and never look back.

Remember the old saying: it takes money to make money. Anyone that ever wants to improve their status in life financially must be willing to make investments.

I don't think it happens either but according to Grosz he was informed by a well respected source at PSU. Not sure this is being fueled by internet drunks or the like.

Grosz wasn't even the original source of all these rumors. They started by other people well before him. In fact, Scott Van Pelt was talking about it a few days before Grosz. The Maryland 24/7 publisher also had a few stories out about it before Grosz. There were reports in Columbus about the possibility too.

This is exactly why' they'll do it. And the projected figures 5-10 years down the road have the Big Ten revenue figures almost $40 million a year in conference distributions. That will be a solid $15 million+ more than the ACC. That's why they'll do it and never look back.

Remember the old saying: it takes money to make money. Anyone that ever wants to improve their status in life financially must be willing to make investments.

The last time you were here, you were telling us why ND was destined for the B10 and the ACC wasn't as good of a fit...

Kyle is great entertainment, but his stuff belongs in the fiction section.

The last time you were here, you were telling us why ND was destined for the B10 and the ACC wasn't as good of a fit...

I also said that if Notre Dame joined a league as partial members, I could see the ACC being that conference because they'd asked the Big Ten twice to join partially and the Big Ten said no. They tried last summer to join for hockey... they were rebuffed. Then they tried to join in all sports but football under a similar arrangement as they got from the ACC. The Big Ten turned that idea down too.

Also, I said Maryland and the Big Ten were talking last year and there was legitimate mutual interest and I believe it was you that scoffed that.

Kyle is great entertainment, but his stuff belongs in the fiction section.

What part of this is fiction? I can pull up a post from a year ago where I said the Big Ten and Maryland had mutual interest and people brushed it off and said there's no way.

Now here we are and there are more and more people coming out and saying it's looking like it's going to happen. The Scout southern recruiting analyst just said today that Maryland will end up in the Big Ten, possibly as early as next week.

I guess you should reclassify this into the non-fiction section, yes?

What part of this is fiction? I can pull up a post from a year ago where I said the Big Ten and Maryland had mutual interest and people brushed it off and said there's no way.

Now here we are and there are more and more people coming out and saying it's looking like it's going to happen. The Scout southern recruiting analyst just said today that Maryland will end up in the Big Ten, possibly as early as next week.

I guess you should reclassify this into the non-fiction section, yes?

Can you just tell us what your agenda is and save us all the effort of going through your posts?

It's kind of weird that your posting all of this stuff, then writing long explanations/responses, and continuing to defend it all as if it's true. Very very weird.

The B1G will make the money when the contract expires whether Maryland or hypothetically Rutgers are members 13 and 14.Adding these schools only create more mouths to feed. RU isn't getting the BTN on tier 1 cable TV in NYC the Yankees the most popular team in NYC couldn't do it, a school 30 miles away in NJ won't do it. Maryland isn't going to add much in for the B1G either. Also, you are forgetting the B1G schools hate expansion because it dilutes their rivalries even more. The B1G won't expand just to expand they will only expand if it creates a national cache,if Maryland and Rutgers create national cache I will be shocked but go ahead spew your pro-Ohio State stuff. The ACC expanded because they signed a bad K and wanted to renegotiate the B1G won't have the same reasons.

Maryland is going to fit right in with Iowa in the Season Ending Injury division.

Can you just tell us what your agenda is and save us all the effort of going through your posts?

Maybe you should start by telling me what your problem is. I don't understand the hostility. I don't have an agenda. I have always thought there was a good chance Maryland would end up in the Big Ten. I was saying last October on this board that there was legitimate mutual interest. Now you have Scott Van Pelt, a Maryland site publisher, a Scout recruiting analyst, a radio host and a Big Ten site publisher all saying it's going to happen and yet I supposedly have an agenda. It's very bizarre.

I also said that if Notre Dame joined a league as partial members, I could see the ACC being that conference because they'd asked the Big Ten twice to join partially and the Big Ten said no. They tried last summer to join for hockey... they were rebuffed. Then they tried to join in all sports but football under a similar arrangement as they got from the ACC. The Big Ten turned that idea down too.

Also, I said Maryland and the Big Ten were talking last year and there was legitimate mutual interest and I believe it was you that scoffed that.
Lol...wow. Talk about a revisionist memory. Anyway, your "reports" are nothing more than Internet fodder, with no legitimate news source having reported anything. At least the Dude provoked a response from the moron on FSU's BOT-you don't even have that.

Still scoffing on MD, by the way. You continue to be "0-x" on conference predictions, but I wish you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom