Mass exodus next season | Syracusefan.com

Mass exodus next season

Cuse House

All American
I was just thinking, if Mali comes back, he will be here 1 more season at most. Lydon will also most likely be a first rounder next year, I actually have no doubt about that. We lose Coleman and Roberson to graduation. What if Battle comes in and kills it right from the beginning? With his measurables, he would probably be gone as well. When is the last time we lost 4-5 guys from the same team? If this is the case, we need to either win the whole thing next year, or get some of these top prospects to choose SU. Obviously there are a lot of variables, but this scenario isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Kind of a scary thought. I would't mind this situation if it led to a title.

I was just thinking, if Mali comes back, he will be here 1 more season at most. Lydon will also most likely be a first rounder next year, I actually have no doubt about that. We lose Coleman and Roberson to graduation. What if Battle comes in and kills it right from the beginning? With his measurables, he would probably be gone as well. When is the last time we lost 4-5 guys from the same team? If this is the case, we need to either win the whole thing next year, or get some of these top prospects to choose SU. Obviously there are a lot of variables, but this scenario isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Kind of a scary thought. I would't mind this situation if it led to a title.
Who knows what will happen but also: 7' 2" guys with good mobility and can block shots usually dont last that long at the college level

So bring in more good guys. Syracuse with tons of playing time available?? Recruiting to that scenario should be like shooting fish in a barrel.

You forgot one: Boeheim. A lot of people are convinced he will leave a year prior to his announced end date to avoid a farewell tour. Hard to picture him leaving Hopkins with the shelves bare though.

After a Championship run I would be ok with that and would love nothing more than for Boeheim to win his last game!

I say lets win it all next year, and just deal with the fallout. I'll sign up for that.

So bring in more good guys. Syracuse with tons of playing time available?? Recruiting to that scenario should be like shooting fish in a barrel.
One thing for sure, a lot more kids out there want to play for Syracuse than they did 3 weeks ago. Just hope its the right kids.

We aren't Duke or Kentucky. last I looked.
We also are not as far from them as people think. Our fan base is insecure given we just came off an epic final four run. We also seem to have a bright future given our strong leadership at the chancellor, AD, and coaching positions. How many other schools can pull off 30K at a game, pack MSG or take as many orange-clad fans to an FF game? If anyone would like to make a wager that we don't win at least 20 games each of the next two seasons, let me know. If you want to worry about a sucky future, go to the Rutgers or BC boards.

One thing for sure, a lot more kids out there want to play for Syracuse than they did 3 weeks ago. Just hope its the right kids.

That was not really the experience after we won the Championship. By the same token, a lot more kids that we would typically recruit may want to play for Villanova now.

Duke and Kentucky lose their top 5-6 guys every year

Doesn't seem to slow them down any
That's cause Kentucky has a huge booster system who shells out $$$ to recruits/handlers and a slime ball coach on top of that. Thank god SU isn't like that.

We also are not as far from them as people think. Our fan base is insecure given we just came off an epic final four run. We also seem to have a bright future given our strong leadership at the chancellor, AD, and coaching positions. How many other schools can pull off 30K at a game, pack MSG or take as many orange-clad fans to an FF game? If anyone would like to make a wager that we don't win at least 20 games each of the next two seasons, let me know. If you want to worry about a sucky future, go to the Rutgers or BC boards.
Thanks for the advice. Let me know when you have been here here for more than 5 minutes. We don't recruit on a national level anymore. We haven't for a long time. Not like duke and kentucky. Does that make us Rutgers or BC? Of course not. We are an elite school. But not Duke or Kentucky. We don't get top 5 recruits.

We could lose then, but others things can change. Lydons probably gone, but i could see Mal being a 3 or 4 year player given his age. Battle will have a harder time impressing if Mal is back, and who knows with Chukwu. It's hard to tell.

Thanks for the advice. Let me know when you have been here here for more than 5 minutes. We don't recruit on a national level anymore. We haven't for a long time. Not like duke and kentucky. Does that make us Rutgers or BC? Of course not. We are an elite school. But not Duke or Kentucky. We don't get top 5 recruits.

Do we go after top 5 recruits?

I'd say that if we did go after them and waited for them to decide, we might be able to snag a few.

Thing is, Boeheim doesn't want to wait for them. And that is OK. But don't fool yourself into thinking that we can't. We just don't.

SUFan44 said:

I'd say that if we did go after them and waited for them to decide, we might be able to snag a few.

Thing is, Boeheim doesn't want to wait for them. And that is OK. But don't fool yourself into thinking that we can't. We just don't.

So you think boeheim passes on top 5 players because he doesn't want to wait? I think JB himself would laugh at that statement. We have waited before and never been called.

That was not really the experience after we won the Championship. By the same token, a lot more kids that we would typically recruit may want to play for Villanova now.
2003-2004 class was one of the highest rated in the country: Watkins (24), D-Nichols (30), Terrence Roberts (47), McCrosky (67). That class is mostly remembered for not living up to expectations and McCrosky transferring, but it was highly touted out of high school and produced two NBA picks (Mookie and Nichols). Watkins, as I recall, was a late signee and didn't commit until after we raised the championship banner.

So you think boeheim passes on top 5 players because he doesn't want to wait? I think JB himself would laugh at that statement. We have waited before and never been called.

But I think that's why he either doesn't go after them or doesn't want to wait. Especially with our recruiting limitations right now from the sanctions and our scholarship limits, I don't see him staying in the game with this type of player right now. Too much risk. If you had enough ships to get a backup guy at that position, then maybe you can wait for the 5 star, but we don't have that.

Yeah, lots of risk. Easier to chase four or five of the top 10 thinking that you'll get two when you already have a couple of 4* and 5*s committed who don't mind waiting for playing time.

We went after Noel, and Anthony Davis. Tough to win out over Kentucky these days.

We went after Noel, and Anthony Davis. Tough to win out over Kentucky these days.

Yes, but the point is, JB doesn't always stay in it until the bitter end with these guys because the risk is too much. JB has thrived on early commits. Carmelo, MCW, Moyer, Dion, etc. So my impression is he throws some lines out to these elite guys early, but if they're going to drag it to the last minute, he starts seeing it as diminishing returns and shifts focus. Francis would know the facts of this way better than me, it is just an impression I have after watching for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom