Masters of the Air | Syracusefan.com

Masters of the Air

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
Has anyone watched it? I do not have Apple TV so I have not yet seen it. I’m in the camp that Band of Brothers is the best thing ever put into the small screen and The Pacific was also excellent. Been waiting 12 or so years for this new one but from the trailers I have been a bit worried about it. Can anyone who has been watching it comment?

I saw a review that said the air missions are obvious cheesy CGI. Please tell me that is not true. ( I get there is going to have to be some CGI, but the cheesy and obvious parts are concerning).

I saw a review that said the air missions are obvious cheesy CGI. Please tell me that is not true. ( I get there is going to have to be some CGI, but the cheesy and obvious parts are concerning).

The air missions are not cheesy CGI. Most of the views are from inside the bombers.

Shots of the planes from outside are of course CGI, but it’s imperceptible with the bombers. The fighter plane CGI is better than passable and doesn’t take you out of the immersion.

Some?

there are six that can fly in the world.

all cgi.

ground shots and take off and landings, but any actual formation flying, computers.

Some?

there are six that can fly in the world.

all cgi.

ground shots and take off and landings, but any actual formation flying, computers.

Well there's practical effects for interiors which I presume there are a lot of interior scenes in the B-17s, Memphis Belle used models for the exterior shots which was very cheesy looking even at the time. Red Tails used CGI which looked horrible. Midway used CGI that looked like a bad video game cut scene. I'm trying to calibrate what they did and how it presents that's all.

There's two elements to CGI - one is how good does the artwork look and how good is the rendering, then there is the physics of how the planes move. Both Red Tails and Midway lost it here - the planes move in preposterous and cartoonish ways. Top Gun Maverick got this very right by simply reskinning real planes to represent the enemy. The "fifth generation fighter" which is the final boss in the movie is a Russian SU-57 Felon. But in reality it is an F-18 which did real flying and they reskinned in post to look like a SU-57 which is why it looks perfect and moves convincingly.

Its well done. Amazing story of what they went thru. But its a much harder story to tell when you have the same battle over and over.

It is very good. It is not , in my opinion, close to being as good as BOB.
Agreed. I really enjoyed Masters of the Air and thought the finale was fantastic, but Band of Brothers is on another level.

flying fortresses ,dragons , hogwarts, Kate's family pics...all CGI sadly. none of them really exist.

flying fortresses ,dragons , hogwarts, Kate's family pics...all CGI sadly. none of them really exist.

I can deal with the bad CGI if they are flying formations with dragons in this series!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom