Matthew Moyer | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

ugh these aau games are just as bad as the all-star games - all of the guards just going full speed trying to get their own - virtually no concept of team ball whatsoever - Dennis Smith head and shoulders best player on the floor - if NC St gets him and Adebayo like some are saying, look out

Love the little fundamentals in kids since they seem to be vanishing, like looking to box out. Moyer does that and can't believe his handle already for his size. He put it behind his back. Can't wait..

Love the little fundamentals in kids since they seem to be vanishing, like looking to box out. Moyer does that and can't believe his handle already for his size. He put it behind his back. Can't wait..
He put it behind his back, sure, but one thing I will say about his handle is that he needs to be more productive with it. I've seen him a couple times this game just put it behind his back or between his legs without actually gaining any ground. It looks flashy but doesn't actually accomplish anything.

I don't think that's ever really going to be a problem with him, mind you. Just always been a pet peeve of mine when kids stand in one spot going behind their back, between their legs...and the defender doesn't have to even budge to keep in front of them. It's inefficient.

He put it behind his back, sure, but one thing I will say about his handle is that he needs to be more productive with it. I've seen him a couple times this game just put it behind his back or between his legs without actually gaining any ground. It looks flashy but doesn't actually accomplish anything.

I don't think that's ever really going to be a problem with him, mind you. Just always been a pet peeve of mine when kids stand in one spot going behind their back, between their legs...and the defender doesn't have to even budge to keep in front of them. It's inefficient.
Completely agree with not doing anything with it. Our old high school coach used to hammer that exact thing in our heads. lol. But yeah just talking more of the skill to do it, and not awkward for his height. Development as usual will be key to making things happen with it.

I didn't think Moyer had a good first half but played A LOT better in the 2nd half. Rebounded well, had some nice put back-ups, and a nice little runner on the one fast break. Once he gets stronger and develops an outside shot he has going to a load to handle

I didn't think Moyer had a good first half but played A LOT better in the 2nd half. Rebounded well, had some nice put back-ups, and a nice little runner on the one fast break. Once he gets stronger and develops an outside shot he has going to a load to handle
I agree, he's going to be a lot more of a consistent scoring threat when he adds some strength. Right now, he's a true tweener forward: not quite strong enough to power his way to the hoop as a 4, and not quite enough perimeter skill to beat defenders as a 3. He's able to do it in high school, but seems to struggle a little more against better talent that he faces in these AAU tournaments, and I expect it to be something to watch out for his freshman year. He's still got a full year to improve one or both aspects of his game, though, which is a long time.

Just watched the first half of Moyer's game yesterday. First I'd point out that his team was pretty undermanned compared to the talent on the other team, they were also more perimeter oriented which is not uncommon in these AAU allstar type games. Guy is going to be really good at UVA but does need to get stronger.

Moyer's 1st half by my count: 2-5fg, 0-03pt, 1-2ft, 4reb, 1ass, 2to

He started off slow but had a bit more life after he came back from the bench. He did look to tire a bit after a mad back and forth 3-4 minutes but other than that he runs effortlessly. I felt in general he didn't have the bulk to move his defender on the blocks and because of that he had little success on the post up but did make a couple nice passes out of it. He also seemed to hold the ball and wait before making a move on isolation's or when receiving the pass. He will need to make quicker decisions. He also made a handful of decent drives from out top but needs to pull up or pass because they wound up unproductive. I like his first step for a player of his size. He has a nice handle for his size and is a rebound and go type forward which I love. He had an early rebound and take all the way to the rim although he couldn't finish. Another time he dribbled twice and had a great outlet to a wing shooter who missed. I found him to be a pretty good passer although he made two really sloppy ones for turnovers and didn't see guys a couple of times when he had opportunities. He has a long way to go on defense which isn't surprising. He often seemed to know when to help and would get there but failed to really deter the offensive player with his help. Pretty good rebounder but lost 2 that he will get once he gets stronger. He had one excellent one handed put back slam and filled the lane on the break well for an easy one another time.

All in all he wasn't super impressive but still did plenty of good things. I read he had 20 and 11 so I look forward to his second half and seeing what if anything he changed in his approach.

2nd half: Large chunks of footage missing down the stretch. I had Moyer for the following.

3-3fg, 0-03pt, 5-8ft, 7reb, 1ass, 1to

That is only 16 points and he apparently had 20 so I can't account for them.

Reading my notes, (yes I am going with the Iommi model because I enjoyed it so much)

Trusted passer by the coach, much more active than the first half, better job attacking with the dribble, didn't wander as much on offense, beautiful spin jumper from 12' in the lane off the bounce, great drive pivot and finish from the right baseline, horrible pass on the break when he could have dunked, great pass on the high pick and roll, great pass to the center in the half court and excellent finish on the break.

In the end Moyer is an very good prospect with well rounded skills to go with good size and length. I think at this point he has no offensive identity and does not maximize his skills. He has a decent nose for the ball but needs to battle more for rebounds. He is often in no mans land on defense and seems overly committed to his primary defensive assignment. I'm pretty excited but realistically he has a ton of things to work on and he needs to define himself as an offensive player and then use his skills to play off of that rather than relying in his skills to allow him to be functionable in any offensive situation. I think he really needs to refine the jumper as well. Its not quite quick enough and the gather starts too low so its hard for him to get off unless he has space. The release itself looks fine its more or less the getting to it part IMO.

Last edited:

(How the heck do you embed an Instagram post? I keep getting "invalid message" errors)

Hopefully will put on 15 lbs or so before he reaches campus, so he can finish through contact, and develop a left handed finish as well. Lot of skill and athleticism/size to work with! Glad he's prepping, hope his team come up to NH, so I can check on his progress in person.

Hopefully will put on 15 lbs or so before he reaches campus, so he can finish through contact, and develop a left handed finish as well. Lot of skill and athleticism/size to work with! Glad he's prepping, hope his team come up to NH, so I can check on his progress in person.

This prep year will be great for Matthew! Like you said good skills, length and frame to work with but still has a lot to learn about playing bball. Plus he obviously needs to get stronger. I think we will see major development in this next year.

So what do we think: Moyer is closer to 6-7, or Lydon is closer to 6-10?

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 1.12.44 PM.png

This picture is really going to blow your mind. Battle will be 6'8 by the time he gets here. He will retire from the game at 6'11. With an 8 foot reach. Legs like tree trunks. Eyes, cold as steel. Ten feet tall he was, if he was a foot. At that ain't no Jon Rothstein. ;)
CNmlwk8UAAEs5b_.jpg

This picture is really going to blow your mind. Battle will be 6'8 by the time he gets here. He will retire from the game at 6'11. With an 8 foot reach. Legs like tree trunks. Eyes, cold as steel. Ten feet tall he was, if he was a foot. At that ain't no Jon Rothstein. ;)
CNmlwk8UAAEs5b_.jpg
I feel bad for opposing guards trying to break the top of our zone with a freaking athletic 6'8'' PG!! :eat popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom