McCord question | Syracusefan.com

McCord question

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Didn't see him enough at OSU but am pretty sure our skill people and OL will not match OSU. Why or what did he struggle with there?

Didn't see him enough at OSU but am pretty sure our skill people and OL will not match OSU. Why or what did he struggle with there?
I think you’re right in saying the OL and skill people won’t match … but both will be improved over what we’ve had. Not sure by how much

This year they were 20th with 6.3 YPP

Last year they were 1st with 7.2 YPP

Now there's a zillion other factors involved in that calculation but the QB is always one of the first to get the credit or blame

I cannot believe some of the comments this dude has had to deal with on his Instagram from OsU people. Actually disgusting adults say stuff the way they do. He seems like a great kid but good lord that fan base is pathetic

According to PFF, McCord was an elite passer when he was protected and a very poor passer when he was pressured. He's not a runner, so it seems like he may force throws when under pressure. Overall, he graded the #62 QB. It seems he is a very good QB, but he has not shown that he is an elite QB. And, you have to realize OSU had 3 real good QBs before McCord, Stroudt, Fields, and Haskins so OSU is used to elite QB play. Still, he should improve during the one year at Syracuse, but he is going to need an o-line as he is not a runner.

Since OSU's biggest rival is Michigan, comparing him to JJ McCarthy shows his issues:

Overall PFF Offense grade: McCarthy. 90.7, McCord. 76.4

Deep passes 20+ yards: McCarthy. 92.9, McCord 93.8
Medium passes 10 to 19 yards: McCarthy 91.3, McCord: 65.4

Kept Clean: McCarthy. 90.5, McCord: 90.3
Under Pressure: McCarthy 75.1, McCord. 31.3

According to PFF, McCord was an elite passer when he was protected and a very poor passer when he was pressured. He's not a runner, so it seems like he may force throws when under pressure. Overall, he graded the #62 QB. It seems he is a very good QB, but he has not shown that he is an elite QB. And, you have to realize OSU had 3 real good QBs before McCord, Stroudt, Fields, and Haskins so OSU is used to elite QB play. Still, he should improve during the one year at Syracuse, but he is going to need an o-line as he is not a runner.

Since OSU's biggest rival is Michigan, comparing him to JJ McCarthy shows his issues:

Having watched 1.5 games of McCarthy I feel comfortable saying those grades are whack

They didn't even let him throw the ball against Penn St

Having watched 1.5 games of McCarthy I feel comfortable saying those grades are whack

They didn't even let him throw the ball against Penn St
You are correct against Penn St. In 2023, McCarthy completed 213 passes and McCord completed 229. McCarthy completed 74.2% of his passes and McCord completed 65.8%.

With the A hole fans

So hopefully we get some help in the trenches asap

I read on their board he struggles with progressions past the first read.
This is probably true. Although, the older I get, the more I believe there are only a few qbs in my lifetime that really excelled at sitting in the pocket and going read to read. The Bradys and Peyton Mannings I guess. Or Rodgers maybe. And a couple older guys. I don’t really know. I’m guesssing.

But I think 99% of it is three factors:
1) Play design/execution
2) pre-snap read — do you understand what the defense is doing?
3) can you make something happen when everything falls apart?

Probably need to have a certain level of talent around you too. Leadership on some level counts.

But honestly, how much of that can be happening in 3 seconds?

This is probably true. Although, the older I get, the more I believe there are only a few qbs in my lifetime that really excelled at sitting in the pocket and going read to read. The Bradys and Peyton Mannings I guess. Or Rodgers maybe. And a couple older guys. I don’t really know. I’m guesssing.

But I think 99% of it is three factors:
1) Play design/execution
2) pre-snap read — do you understand what the defense is doing?
3) can you make something happen when everything falls apart?

Probably need to have a certain level of talent around you too. Leadership on some level counts.

But honestly, how much of that can be happening in 3 seconds?

Regarding #3: A TE or RB for safety valves and getting rid of the ball instead of a sack the efficient ways of handling this.

I think he'll do well. He going to make mistakes, ALL QB's do, just keep them at a minimum and he'll do fine.

Regarding #3: A TE or RB for safety valves and getting rid of the ball instead of a sack the efficient ways of handling this.

I think he'll do well. He going to make mistakes, ALL QB's do, just keep them at a minimum and he'll do fine.
True — not saying you have to be mike Vick to be great, but it’s hard to be great in college if you can’t use your legs at least occasionally. That said, if you threw for 3K+ at the highest level, then you’re doing a lot of things right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom