McD’s - Bazley | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McD’s - Bazley

So Slater has now included bazley as a stand out player on Monday and Tuesday as well as talk about the scouts loving his game for the next level...yet people on here think he's second fiddle so far to the big strong burger boys that are rocking the rim down low with big dunks based off of a mcdaag scrimmage...as cuseincincy and some others have posted he is a different type of player then your zion/shittu type guys BUT bazley was an outstanding rebounder last summer in eybl against the best and had a knack for following up his misses and grabbing them for a put back. We can all sit here and talk about how he needs to get stronger, that's pretty obvious but to say you don't think he will do much in the paint or that he needs to get a LOT stronger is nuts. He will be just fine and i think we will put him in the best situation that fits his playing style..probably not going to have him posted up down low all the time... Also read that he isn't quick like durant?? Who have you been watching? have you seen bazleys first step or him running the court? He's pretty damn quick for a kid his size with a excellent handle. I think he will create serious mismatches for bigger and slower guys guarding him. Especially the type of kids built like linebackers. Maybe he does stick around for 2 years but I think with the skill set he has that it's very unlikely. I tend to lean towards bazley having a higher ceiling and better suited game for the pros then a lot of the linebackers playing in the mcdaag.

First of all you’re acting like I’m dissing the kid so knock it off. Obviously he is a hybrid gem. Unless you expect him to be a Durant clone (which he is not) then he DOES need to get a lot stronger, IMO. I have seen Bazley’s first step. Yes, he is terrific there. But pump the brakes re: Durant. You think Bazely is going to run around full speed like Cooney did or like Durant does traveling around the 3 point line curling, stopping on a dime, and drilling threes off of screens? All I said is that he isn’t built for a post up game right now and I don’t think he is going to have much success scoring in the paint right now. More on open slashes and transition. Of course I could be wrong. I’ve acknowledged his upside plenty which is outstanding. I sort of see Brandon Ingram type guy the more I watch him. Not quite as quick but something like him. Yeah, that’s dissing him, lol.

Last edited:
Bazely is a hybrid type player. I like the Wes Johnson comparison in that regard. I think Bazze has an even higher ceiling. He will be able to score at the rim, but it will NOT be as a post up player. I have a feeling this kid will be among the best finishers, and with either hand, that we have seen at SU.

Those thinking Zion Williamson is over rated are in for a shock, IMO. Great player

The thing is, people have to prepare themselves for freshman Wesley Johnson. Which was still pretty good at Iowa State before his injury, but Baz is after all a freshman and will have some growing pains, and the doubters will sqwak. The question will be by the end of the year do we get Junior all league level Wesley Johnson or will he only graduate to sophomore Wesley Johnson by then? With all league Wes Johnson, this team will do damage

Last edited:
The thing is, people have to prepare themselves for freshman Wesley Johnson. Which was still pretty good at Iowa State before his injury, but Baz is after all a freshman and will have some growing pains, and the doubters will sqwak. The question will be by the end of the year do we get Junior all league level Wesley Johnson or will he only graduate to sophomore Wesley Johnson by then? With all league Wes Johnson, this team will do damage
Interesting comparison. Their game and what they do is similar but how they do it is very different. Bazley is not nearly as explosive as Wes was but Wes was/is kind of freakish in that regard and is the main reason he is still in the NBA. But Bazley is already a better shooter than Wes was when he left.

I stand by my initial comparison and that is of Tayshaun Prince with a little bit of Donyell Marshall thrown in. I won't waste time on any Durant comparison other than to say that if Bazley tried to emulate Durant that would not be a bad thing to come up a little short of.

I don't know who the doubters are, but I fear that it's the people who compare the kid to Kevin Durant who'll be doing the squawking. As you say, the transition for freshmen isn't easy. It's only been three years - doesn't anybody remember how inept Chris McCullough was around the rim? He couldn't even stay on his own two feet.

This kid seems talented. Almost everyone in college basketball is talented. The game is so much more physical than the high school game that they might as well be different sports. If Bazley can put up Brissett numbers with decent efficiency I would be thrilled.

I don't know who the doubters are, but I fear that it's the people who compare the kid to Kevin Durant who'll be doing the squawking. As you say, the transition for freshmen isn't easy. It's only been three years - doesn't anybody remember how inept Chris McCullough was around the rim? He couldn't even stay on his own two feet.

This kid seems talented. Almost everyone in college basketball is talented. The game is so much more physical than the high school game that they might as well be different sports. If Bazley can put up Brissett numbers with decent efficiency I would be thrilled.

Good point re: McCullough. Yeah he seemed like a guy more comfortable facing up out on the perimeter.

Not Bazley related, but apparently Reddish has really underwhelmed and hasn't shot the ball well at all.

Exactly what I expect. A more efficient Brissett. Bazley is much more skilled than McCullough. McCullough was a very raw top 30 player. Bazley is top 10.

First of all you’re acting like I’m dissing the kid so knock it off. Obviously he is a hybrid gem. Unless you expect him to be a Durant clone (which he is not) then he DOES need to get a lot stronger, IMO. I have seen Bazley’s first step. Yes, he is terrific there. But pump the brakes re: Durant. You think Bazely is going to run around full speed like Cooney did or like Durant does traveling around the 3 point line curling, stopping on a dime, and drilling threes off of screens? All I said is that he isn’t built for a post up game right now and I don’t think he is going to have much success scoring in the paint right now. More on open slashes and transition. Of course I could be wrong. I’ve acknowledged his upside plenty which is outstanding. I sort of see Brandon Ingram type guy the more I watch him. Not quite as quick but something like him. Yeah, that’s dissing him, lol.

All good points...i did not compare him to durant, just thought bazley is much "quicker" then you think when you said he wasn't quick like durant so there is no brake pumping needed from me. I expect him to have some freshman growing pains for sure. I think the Ingram comparison is pretty good but I think bazley is every bit as quick as Ingram. Not sure Ingram is that quick? Long and lengthy and probably deceiving quick I suppose but bazley gets up the court pretty fast from everything I've seen. I also said he does need to get stronger like you said but how much stronger is up for interpretation. Not sure how strong he needs to be depending on how we utilize him in our offense or how he's used at the next level. Also I hope he's nothing like Cooney running around. I didn't say you dissed him but maybe watering him down a tad especially comparing him to the likes of the linebacker burgers boys. Totally different games and skill sets which you obviously know. You may be right that he might struggle in the paint but I think he might surprise some down there, he was pretty solid during eybl against good competition when it came to doing some dirty work but hopefully with brissett he won't have to do so much because like you said his game in transition and slashing or creating off the dribble should be really good for us. I guess we will just have to agree and disagree abiut certain aspects of his game and his quickness as well as how good some of the other burger boys are. It makes for good conversation either way. I think we will all be very happy to have bazley on our team once he gets here!

All good points...i did not compare him to durant, just thought bazley is much "quicker" then you think when you said he wasn't quick like durant so there is no brake pumping needed from me. I expect him to have some freshman growing pains for sure. I think the Ingram comparison is pretty good but I think bazley is every bit as quick as Ingram. Not sure Ingram is that quick? Long and lengthy and probably deceiving quick I suppose but bazley gets up the court pretty fast from everything I've seen. I also said he does need to get stronger like you said but how much stronger is up for interpretation. Not sure how strong he needs to be depending on how we utilize him in our offense or how he's used at the next level. Also I hope he's nothing like Cooney running around. I didn't say you dissed him but maybe watering him down a tad especially comparing him to the likes of the linebacker burgers boys. Totally different games and skill sets which you obviously know. You may be right that he might struggle in the paint but I think he might surprise some down there, he was pretty solid during eybl against good competition when it came to doing some dirty work but hopefully with brissett he won't have to do so much because like you said his game in transition and slashing or creating off the dribble should be really good for us. I guess we will just have to agree and disagree abiut certain aspects of his game and his quickness as well as how good some of the other burger boys are. It makes for good conversation either way. I think we will all be very happy to have bazley on our team once he gets here!

We’ll see re: quickness. Definitely good conversation and really wasn’t trying to be rude. The versatility he shows is tremendous. As far as LB burger boys the only one who really stands out to me with that physique is Zion. The others are just considerably stronger than Bazely and he needs to put some work in there. He’ll definitely create mismatches all over the place. I hope we can bring in a guy now with some beef and strength to bang on the glass. Since to me Bazely seems more of a perimeter guy I worry about still having Sidibe/Chukwu being able to get outmuscled down there. Oshae is awesome but even he can’t compete sometimes with stronger PF types. But, yeah, very excited for Bazely’s arrival.

Exactly what I expect. A more efficient Brissett. Bazley is much more skilled than McCullough. McCullough was a very raw top 30 player. Bazley is top 10.

Right. I think the gist of his post though was that once McCullough got into the paint he was knocked around in there, awkward, and much preferred to hangout and lurk shooting jumpers. In high school CMac was much more comfortable and effective in the paint.

We’ll see re: quickness. Definitely good conversation and really wasn’t trying to be rude. The versatility he shows is tremendous. As far as LB burger boys the only one who really stands out to me with that physique is Zion. The others are just considerably stronger than Bazely and he needs to put some work in there. He’ll definitely create mismatches all over the place. I hope we can bring in a guy now with some beef and strength to bang on the glass. Since to me Bazely seems more of a perimeter guy I worry about still having Sidibe/Chukwu being able to get outmuscled down there. Oshae is awesome but even he can’t compete sometimes with stronger PF types. But, yeah, very excited for Bazely’s arrival.

I agree...definitely need to bring in some muscle and some insurance for our bigs no doubt!

I agree...definitely need to bring in some muscle and some insurance for our bigs no doubt!

Yes, the “insurance” part cannot be overstated as well. Give me a brute to use up some fouls, push OTHERS around for a change, and set good/solid screens.

Kind of yeah but like 3-4 inches shorter? Kemp was lean and diesel. Zion looks fat but still pretty explosive. I don’t know. I can’t even compare him to anybody really.
obit-mason-basketball.jpg

I keep reading people comp him with Lamar Odom, and that would be great. I am seeing a Stacy Augmon type from UNLV's glory days.
Because of how long ago that was and how he did relatively little at the next level (Augmon), people forget or downplay how spectacularly dominant he was at the college level. Kid played with a ferocity that was a sight to behold. Just insane. Unguardable. Unstoppable.

Right. I think the gist of his post though was that once McCullough got into the paint he was knocked around in there, awkward, and much preferred to hangout and lurk shooting jumpers. In high school CMac was much more comfortable and effective in the paint.

When you're playing against men who are the same size and stronger, it is one hell of an adjustment period. We'll see how long it takes for Bazley to adjust to the college game. The expectations should be tempered a bit. High school is just that, high school. He's starting from scratch at the next level.

I think the big thing with elite freshman is to see them progress through the year.

I'm guessing it will take Baze a little bit to get acclimated, find his role, etc. But I would bet by conference time he'll be really impressing (for a freshman).

I don't think he'll be 20/10, but if he's dominating guys he should be dominating and making the team better, that's awesome.

I'm excited.

Just what we need. Duke getting another player that will average 12 points and 8 rebounds per game. :(

Or fail to live up to expectations the first couple of years. ;)

Watching game. Never seen so many talented athletic guys on a court at one time. This is nuts

Bazely coming in soon. Announcers basically doing a Duke infomercial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom