McDonald demoted | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald demoted

Looks like it will be QB by committee for the rest of the season.

Awesome

I previously posted that my biggest concern was Shafer being able to fire somebody he hired. I guess I got my answer! I went through five mergers in 18 years and have unfortunately had to fire hundreds of people I can tell you there is never a good time and keeping secrets is the worst thing you can do. Your people deserve better.
HCSS lost confidence in OCGM and had to be decisive. He knows season is gone.
This is a disaster. What changes could possibly be made in 5 days with both a new OC and QB that will even give us a fighting chance against FSU?

Have you watched any of the games? We have no chance either way

Looks like it will be QB by committee for the rest of the season.

Awesome
sometimes this can be a positive. In essentially a lost season like this one will and would have been, this brings upon competition at the position and could possibly bring out a "gamer" type kid who excells in such situations who might not have otherwise emerged. Like I said the season was likely lost anyway (no bowl), so nothing really lost I'd like to think. Lets see what shakes out.

The villagers with their pitchforks got their target. Who's next fellas? You ain't gonna have GMC to kick around anymore.

Be careful what you wish for as we aren't to many moves away from 2008. To easy to slide back there if decisions are made in panic mode.

I don't see the positives outweighing the negatives but that's just me.
I want to have faith in Shafer but watch his press conference from Friday night. It was so bad it made him lose support. I want Shafer to do well because he cares about the program and is a likable guy. However, our coaching staff on the offensive side had 4 games out of 18 games in SA era where they scored over 30 points and only 1 of those 4 were against a P5 opponent.
While our defense has given up over 30 points 7 times in 18 games. Shafer doesn't have elite talent but the talent isn't as bad as it was when DM took over. McDonald was bit getting the job done he fact Shafer made a change now instead of after this year gives me confidence the guy is better than I thought. Patience is afforded if the on the field results shows it was the right move like in 2009 but this is 2014 my expectations were 7-5 not 3-9. Good job SS I am back on board thru next season.

This was the one thing I was concerned about HCSS - not being able to make the tough decisions with friends. This action has restored my faith in HCSS to make tough decisions when necessary - that is the necessary leadership required from a HC.

However, timing of decision is suspect. You don't "officially" make these changes until the season is over. Sounds more like a falling out between friends or GM recognized he was not cut out to be an OC and decided to step aside now to "save" his friends. Maybe GM wanted to go back to what he does best - WR position coach & recruiting coordinator. Could turn into a win-win imo. Time will tell.

By the way - feel bad for THunt - whether or not he deserved to stay as starting QB prior to his injury - kid was a fighter. He got us to a bowl game and won it last year - I thank him for that.

I have to say I disagree with the criticism of the timing of making this decision "official"- would it be better to strip the guy of his duties and keep it quiet? The offense had gone off the rails, and was no longer funtioning five games into the season after a respectable finish last year. Our defense is decent- the offense was costing us games- I see this as an attempt to fix the problem and salvage the season. I think HCSS saw the season slipping away and made an executive decision- I hope it works! As for McDonald leaving and losing recruits- winning is the best recruiter. I've never been convinced that our staff was out there "killing it" on the recruiting trail although it was trending in the right direction- was this because of the ACC move or our amazing under the radar staff? Either way the move had to be made and hopefully this stops the bleeding and we salvage some pride the rest of the way.

It is sort of strange timing with the two things coming out at once (McDonald and Hunt). There has to be something more to this IMO. Did McDonald want to go with Wilson and Shafer wanted to go with Long? Most thought Hunt was the wrong QB to run McDonalds system now that Hunt is gone wouldn't you want to give McDonald a chance with a different QB? Did McDonald ask out? There is a big piece of information missing and I am not sure we will ever get it.

It is sort of strange timing with the two things coming out at once (McDonald and Hunt). There has to be something more to this IMO. Did McDonald want to go with Wilson and Shafer wanted to go with Long? Most thought Hunt was the wrong QB to run McDonalds system now that Hunt is gone wouldn't you want to give McDonald a chance with a different QB? Did McDonald ask out? There is a big piece of information missing and I am not sure we will ever get it.

In his weekly interview with Matt Park - Shafer went out of his way to pump up AJ Long. Saying the starting defense was coming to him and saying "Hey this guys really good" ...

In his weekly interview with Matt Park - Shafer went out of his way to pump up AJ Long. Saying the starting defense was coming to him and saying "Hey this guys really good" ...

So it could be that McDonald and Shafer didn't see eye to eye on who would be playing QB after Hunt? Could it be that simple? Lester and Shafer wanted Long and McDonald wanted Wilson?

So it could be that McDonald and Shafer didn't see eye to eye on who would be playing QB after Hunt? Could it be that simple? Lester and Shafer wanted Long and McDonald wanted Wilson?

Kind of wondering that myself.

Usually it's the simplest explanation- the offense sucked, change needed to be made and in this business- the HC makes the change before someone else does it for him. When your offense gives up four points and scores only six in a winnable home game it's time to try something different.

I'd guess that there are two scenarios that are most likely connected to the strange timing:

Option 1: Shafer and McDonald have fundamentally disagreed about the offensive philosophy, & things came to a head recently with the situation exacerbated by the recent losing streak / subpar offensive play.

Option 2: Shafer panicked, started to feel his seat get hot, knew he had to make some kind of switch, and since the offense has stunk he said "f**k it" and made a switch to shake things up.

Option #1 seems most likely to me. Esepcially since Lester supplanted McDonald.

Last edited:
Usually it's the simplest explanation- the offense sucked, change needed to be made and in this business- the HC makes the change before someone else does it for him. When your offense gives up four points and scores only six in a winnable home game it's time to try something different.

But a big change was happening anyway with Hunt being out of the season. I felt that would have gotten us through the season. No need to make both mid season. Has to be more to it.

I'd guess that there are two scenarios that are most likely connected to the strange timing:

Option 1: Shafer and McDonald have fundamentally disagreed about the offensive philosophy, and things came to a head recently, with the situation exacerbated by the recent losing streak / subpar offensive play.

Option 2: Shafer panicked, started to feel his seat get hot, knew he had to make some kind of switch, and since the offense has stunk he said "f**k it" and made a switch to shake things up.

Option #1 seems most likely to me. Esepcially since Lester supplanted McDonald.

I think it could be a combo of both. So do you think Lester goes back to running a more traditional offense or continue along the spread stuff?

I think it could be a combo of both. So do you think Lester goes back to running a more traditional offense or continue along the spread stuff?

Too late to put in a new offense. My guess they take elements of the spread and do it well.

No idea what to expect from Lester. I think it is too late in the season for a full revamp. We might see something like that if we had a bye week, to tailor the offense more around the new QBs capabilities. But in this sitation, probably not.

So I'd expect a fairly similar system, but with a lot different situational utilization of play calls. If it's going to be the same play calling, then there was no reason to make the move.

McDonald has really struggled but I think even the top coordinators would have difficulty scoring points with this cast of characters on offense. All they have showed is that they can run up the gut fairly well. The talent just isn't there. It could be there with some of the young guys but I'm not sure how good they are now or how they will fare in the future against teams not from the MAC or FCS.

This is a disaster. What changes could possibly be made in 5 days with both a new OC and QB that will even give us a fighting chance against FSU?
We never had a realistic shot against FSU, but if we are to have any shot in games after that changes had to be made or we risked going 2-10. We still might with Hunt out, but this is the only way we stand any chance of beatng teams like NC State, Wake, and maybe if everything aligns and the football gods are kind a couple others.

McDonald has really struggled but I think even the top coordinators would have difficulty scoring points with this cast of characters on offense. All they have showed is that they can run up the gut fairly well. The talent just isn't there. It could be there with some of the young guys but I'm not sure how good they are now or how they will fare in the future against teams not from the MAC or FCS.
don't forget that tool randy edsall and his horrendous defense. even if you take out our game, they're giving up 519 ypg against P5 teams

their record is a joke, they are going to go on a giant losing streak. i'm looking for anything to enjoy this year

I wondered after the game if he would have the stones to do this. I am glad he is leading from the front that's good.

He is going to use the RB and TE ----ALOT that's my guess

The talent is not there to be champions, but there is enough to be more competitive on offense than this team has shown, and many times the play calling has taken us out, that simply can not happen if you want to be competitive, much less win a few games.
No one is saying other problems, such as stupid penalties, lack of discipline, etc., do not exist just that those are correctable by various changes. Well so too is bad play calling and schemes. I believe that this was a necessary step to address the latter. We will have to wait and see, and also work to decrease incidents of the other problems. Many moving parts involved in an overall improvement.

No idea what to expect from Lester. I think it is too late in the season for a full revamp. We might see something like that if we had a bye week, to tailor the offense more around the new QBs capabilities. But in this sitation, probably not.

So I'd expect a fairly similar system, but with a lot different situational utilization of play calls. If it's going to be the same play calling, then there was no reason to make the move.

This week is a bye week though. Start working it in. Result this weekend is known, has been known and will not be an issue (save for a miracle)

But a big change was happening anyway with Hunt being out of the season. I felt that would have gotten us through the season. No need to make both mid season. Has to be more to it.
No there doesn't- if Hunt has a broken leg he can't play- simple as that. The offense was terrible- anyone can see that.

The talent is not there to be champions, but there is enough to be more competitive on offense than this team has shown, and many times the play calling has taken us out, that simply can not happen if you want to be competitive, much less win a few games.
No one is saying other problems, such as stupid penalties, lack of discipline, etc., do not exist just that those are correctable by various changes. Well so too is bad play calling and schemes. I believe that this was a necessary step to address the latter. We will have to wait and see, and also work to decrease incidents of the other problems. Many moving parts involved in an overall improvement.

The talent has shown capable to move from our 10 to the opponents 20 on several occasions. From there its on the coordinator to call good plays.

This week is a bye week though. Start working it in. Result this weekend is known, has been known and will not be an issue (save for a miracle)

I understand what you are suggesting, but really it's not--we have to spend time preparing for an opponent. It's not like we have two full weeks to concentrate on making changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom