McDonald demoted | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald demoted

I guess it depends on if he gets an offer to leave. This may cement his position as a Position Coach/Recruiting dude unless he's willing to go backwards in competition.

Yeah, there are always some head-scratchers in the college football hiring process, but there's no guarantee that McDonald will find a more attractive landing spot this season. His portfolio from the past two seasons won't wow most big schools.

That said, it'd be wise to prepare for his departure.

I'm glad some people are excited about these recent developments.

I'm not sure what to think right now.

After a 2-0 start, we pissed away a great opportunity against Maryland.

Now we're 2-3, preparing to face the nation's top-ranked team and everything is a mess.

Great point. We're 2-3 but 'Ville and Maryland are always 50/50 propositions and we were always going to be a serious dog against ND. Three straight losses will always lead to panic time among the hard core fans but it's not enough for full-time professionals in an AD's office to pull the plug. There has to be more to this than meets the eye and it has to go back to last season somehow.

TheCusian said:
Pure conjecture: Lester has been helping more and more since late last season. This makes it official.

You know that how? And if Lester has been helping more and more then he too is culpable for this years mess. Thus why give him the OC job? It doesn't equate.

Regardless of how "obvious" it might be, there is a huge difference between "wearing the the headset" and handling this discretely. There is NO advantage to telling the press, unless you want to make sure that you cuts ties with GM.
I believe in the Public Relations field this is called "getting out in front of the story".
How do you avoid the press finding out about a major coaching reassignment? Word had already leaked out via Twitter, and reportedly a P-S story about this had been taken down (probably at the University's request, allowing Shafer to make an announcement first). Making a proactive statement allows the football program to spin this the way they want, and avoids having to respond to a lot of speculation, false rumors, etc.
IMO this was absolutely the correct way to handle this situation.

JoeSU said:
I believe in the Public Relations field this is called "getting out in front of the story". How do you avoid the press finding out about a major coaching reassignment? Word had already leaked out via Twitter, and reportedly a P-S story about this had been taken down (probably at the University's request, allowing Shafer to make an announcement first). Making a proactive statement allows the football program to spin this the way they want, and avoids having to respond to a lot of speculation, false rumors, etc. IMO this was absolutely the correct way to handle this situation.

Once it leaked, yep.

I'm not a fan of McDonald but a public in-season demotion means he's as good as gone this winter/Spring. Shafer better make sure that someone other than White/McD are in touch with all of these 2015 recruits.
Agreed he's gone. I don't know what to think about the second sentence here though. Granted McD may not put his best foot forward at this point, but you have to believe he'd still be professional in all this, no? Who would hire him after SU if he wasn't?

rrlbees said:
You know that how? And if Lester has been helping more and more then he too is culpable for this years mess. Thus why give him the OC job? It doesn't equate.

Conjecture means guess. Here's some more:

What if Lester was called into the equation late last season - and then McDonald got the car keys back in the offseason, with a "if it doesn't go well, we go back to Lester?"

I believe in the Public Relations field this is called "getting out in front of the story".
How do you avoid the press finding out about a major coaching reassignment? Word had already leaked out via Twitter, and reportedly a P-S story about this had been taken down (probably at the University's request, allowing Shafer to make an announcement first). Making a proactive statement allows the football program to spin this the way they want, and avoids having to respond to a lot of speculation, false rumors, etc.
IMO this was absolutely the correct way to handle this situation.
Once this leaked, they had to get out in front of it. If it hadn't leaked, it would have likely been handled more discreetly.

I'm not a fan of McDonald but a public in-season demotion means he's as good as gone this winter/Spring. Shafer better make sure that someone other than White/McD are in touch with all of these 2015 recruits.

Isn't White McD's guy? He's probably gone to then. Just sayin

I guess it depends on if he gets an offer to leave. This may cement his position as a Position Coach/Recruiting dude unless he's willing to go backwards in competition.

He'll be back in the SEC coaching WR's next year and probably for the same pay.

Isn't White McD's guy? He's probably gone to then. Just sayin
Here's the thing with White, though...

McDonald has to get a gig somewhere else, and more importantly, the head coach there needs to be willing to bring White on as well. I can't imagine McDonald will get another OC job, and when have you ever heard of a receivers coach being allowed to tell the head coach who he's bringing on with him? Only way I could see McDonald being given the authority to bring White is if he's made the recruiting coordinator somewhere, and frankly if it's a school in a lower level conference, why would White want to leave to be at, say, Akron if Shafer or whoever wants to keep him on at an ACC school as a lead recruiter?

I think White stays unless someone gives him a promotion or significantly more pay.

People are hired on recommendations all the time no? this kid's sell is "look at the buzz i was able to create at syracuse, imagine what i can do at insert SEC school here." Whites going to move up and leave with George. He'll be director of recruiting operations at a bigger school.

I'd have to go back and look, but White I think was on his way to Arkansas as tag along.

GoSU96 said:
Does Scott Shafer strike you as the kind of guy that would throw a friend under the bus because he was feeling heat in the media?

Pre ISIS? No.
Post ISIS? Yes.

The villagers with their pitchforks got their target. Who's next fellas? You ain't gonna have GMC to kick around anymore.

Be careful what you wish for as we aren't to many moves away from 2008. To easy to slide back there if decisions are made in panic mode.

I don't see the positives outweighing the negatives but that's just me.

The villagers with their pitchforks got their target. Who's next fellas? You ain't gonna have GMC to kick around anymore.

Be careful what you wish for as we aren't to many moves away from 2008. To easy to slide back there if decisions are made in panic mode.

Syracuse needs its own store.

A2-Torch-_-Pitchfork_SM_1024x1024.jpg

This is a disaster. What changes could possibly be made in 5 days with both a new OC and QB that will even give us a fighting chance against FSU?

It depends. If Lester can figure out how to score a TD from first and goal which I think we have failed to do 3 or 4 times already this year. That might help our cause

This is a disaster. What changes could possibly be made in 5 days with both a new OC and QB that will even give us a fighting chance against FSU?

I think this goes beyond the FSU game.Standing pat sure wasn't going to give us a chance in any case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom