McDonald demoted | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald demoted

i wonder if that interview had anything to do with it. you just can't have people representing your program like that. it wouldn't have mattered to me because i thought he was doing a terrible job even without that embarrassment but I wonder if it mattered to shafer

Or alumni...or the new head of SU.

Millhouse said:
i wonder if that interview had anything to do with it. you just can't have people representing your program like that. it wouldn't have mattered to me because i thought he was doing a terrible job even without that embarrassment but I wonder if it mattered to shafer

It certainly doesn't help his case. That's the kind of stuff you "tolerate" of a person who is succeeding in their job, if you're not,..

That's an interesting question. I'm sure it didn't help his cause--it really was an off the wall interview.

Who said anyone went public? This sounds like an unintentional leak. It's not like they issued a press release.

Nobody said anything about a "press release." And many here have prefaced comments with "IF true."

But, IF the decision to demote is true, you would think that they would do everything in their power to keep it in house. It's Monday, and this is already leaked to the media "unintentionally?"

Does Scott Shafer strike you as the kind of guy that would throw a friend under the bus because he was feeling heat in the media?

And what media is he feeling the heat from? The message board? I haven't seen anything .

Jake said:
Who said anyone went public? This sounds like an unintentional leak. It's not like they issued a press release.

Yep. Nobody went public. Somebody in the know leaked it to a website. Huge difference between making something public and some big mouth having loose lips. Now they may have to make some statement, true or not.

Personally I'm more concerned about Hunt.

I thought about that to and it might not have had anything to do with Shaf. Also representing the school. I could see Gross and/or the Chancellor not being to crazy about that interview.

Just doesn't seem to make sense to me that this particular web site has that info and no one else.

orange79 said:
Just doesn't seem to make sense to me that this particular web site has that info and no one else.

Doesn't take much except time for a person at a website to cultivate a relationship with a person inside.

Does Scott Shafer strike you as the kind of guy that would throw a friend under the bus because he was feeling heat in the media?
shafer strikes me as the kind of guy who would literally throw a friend under a bus for taking a bite of his pretzel sandwich

I honestly don't get doing this mid-season. Lester will be confined to McDonald's offense; unless he implements something very simplistic. It's still going to be a bad playbook. Only with, hopefully, better play calls.
There are still 5 winnable games (with Hunt, but now...), so all hope isn't quite lost, but it'll be interesting to see what goes down fromhere on out on the field.

Shafer has said repeatedly that he lets his coordinators coach. That actually makes it easier to do this kind of thing. More rope.

Guess that answers the questions about his ability to make hard choices with his friends as coaches.

not sure that people wanted him or hunt gone, just wanted the reigns pulled in and the learning curve accelerated

LOL...Really?

Scroll down a few pages and find the "Fire George McDonald" thread started by NKR or the "Never Considered Benching Hunt" thread started by GoCuse44 - both of which then received considerable support from numerous other posters...

Well, it looks like they are all about to get their wish with a new OC and new QB for FSU...

The good news is that, if the new OC and QB, don't produce a miraculous turnaround, they'll still have the "Fire Shafer and hire a felon" or the "Gotta get rid of Gross" bandwagons.

After all, there is absolutely no good reason why two- and three-star talent shouldn't be able to go 8-3 or 9-2. It just takes coaching them up.

we aren't beating FSU with Peyton Manning as our qb so probably a good week to HAVE to throw a new starter to the wolves, like I said with Hunt we lose by 3-4 TD's now we lose by 5-6, and that is wishful thinking. either way we lose, Hunt is being replaced because he is hurt nothing you can do and if Shafer is switching things up to Lester than so be it, Lester has more experience and his staff was put together the way he wanted it. In addition, Shafer didn't go public with it at this point, people are piling on for an injury he had no control over and what looks like a leak, What. Just like I said, when a coach starts losing every one just loves piling on!

Nate mink just kind of confirmed it

should have been handled quietly, leave him as oc in name only and have lester "advise"him. after signing day announce that mcd has been re- assigned full time head of recruiting and player evaluation---unfortunately this will be a severe negative impact in the incoming class ---i await the defections

It looks like it was being handled quietly ... until some website decided to break the rumor.

What I'm doing to the 19 point line for Saturday right now:
td3rd8r.gif

I am trying to make the bet... My fingers cant do it. The anxiety is killing me. I just cant bet against Cuse.

Nate mink just kind of confirmed it
Where/how? I don't see it on his Twitter, but then I also haven't looked at any Mink articles since the game so I could have missed it.

line has already moved to -22.5. Still seems like pretty easy money to me.

But at least the movement from 19 to 22.5 makes my decision to not bet that much easier.

Yep. Nobody went public. Somebody in the know leaked it to a website. Huge difference between making something public and some big mouth having loose lips. Now they may have to make some statement, true or not.

Personally I'm more concerned about Hunt.

Good points. Hope the comment is: GM is the OC at SU; there are no further comments.

who knows if Shafer even did it? Maybe McDonald himself said F***It I'm stepping down. Maybe Gross said do it because I can't have this guy giving interviews like that and then going out and giving me Pariani flashbacks. I find it hard to believe Shafer would do this to a friend (or any coordinator) 5 games into a season (at Syracuse nonetheless). This is extremely rare to do at the college level. It almost NEVER happens not even in the SEC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom