McDonald | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

ok so I just watched the whole interview. While I do think that maybe he got a little too honest in the interview, and should have held back some info, i kinda feel bad for the guy. He genuinely looks like he was blindsided. Imagine yourself for a second, you just accepted a new position with a new job. You're real excited. Then 2 weeks later, ANOTHER company calls you with a PROMOTION and MORE MONEY. You have to move accross the country. Again, you're excited. 20 months later, you get fired for performance reasons. You'd probably be pretty upset as well.

GMac kept saying, execution was the problem. He's right it was, but a job of a coach is to teach discipline AND execution. So thats on him.

Again, the guy seems passionate, probably should have filtered himself here a bit, but I;m not seeing where all this personal negativity towards him is warranted.

Shafer needs to give him a GREAT recommendation to a top notch SEC school that has absolutely no need for any of our current commits.

ok so I just watched the whole interview. While I do think that maybe he got a little too honest in the interview, and should have held back some info, i kinda feel bad for the guy. He genuinely looks like he was blindsided. Imagine yourself for a second, you just accepted a new position with a new job. You're real excited. Then 2 weeks later, ANOTHER company calls you with a PROMOTION and MORE MONEY. You have to move accross the country. Again, you're excited. 20 months later, you get fired for performance reasons. You'd probably be pretty upset as well.

GMac kept saying, execution was the problem. He's right it was, but a job of a coach is to teach discipline AND execution. So thats on him.

Again, the guy seems passionate, probably should have filtered himself here a bit, but I;m not seeing where all this personal negativity towards him is warranted.
No amount of execution can help when you have no QB. He calls the plays but can't make Hunt read the end correctly on the option (which he rarely did) or throw accurate passes.

If you or I take a job and then do it poorly, and get demoted or fired, would George McDonald feel badly for us? No. Because you're judged on results, and if you can't do your job adequately, no one owes it to you to let you keep it.

Yes, I do. Do you not know the personalities of your friends? What the hell do you do when you actually hang out? Not talk?

I don't mean this personal at all. All I'm saying is Shafer and McDonald have been friends for awhile. He knew he had a volitile personality. Danger was always there

If you or I take a job and then do it poorly, and get demoted or fired, would George McDonald feel badly for us? No. Because you're judged on results, and if you can't do your job adequately, no one owes it to you to let you keep it.
But would you be annoyed/angry if they hired you as the leader of a consulting/marketing/advertising (whatever) firm and everyone you worked with kind of sucked at their job and couldn't execute the most basic of concepts you laid out? Then you get fired?

There comes a time when you have to exhibit that you're an actual adult. And McD failed here. While I can understand what you've pointed out and feel bad for the guy, he really needs to and do his job or resign. When you start complaining and kicking up dust like he is doing now it only looks bad for him. He won't win many people over to his side when he starts looking for a new job come tomorrow.

But would you be annoyed/angry if they hired you as the leader of a consulting/marketing/advertising (whatever) firm and everyone you worked with kind of sucked at their job and couldn't execute the most basic of concepts you laid out? Then you get fired?
That suggests everything McDonald has done has been perfect and this is entirely on a lack of execution, and that's just false. His playcalling has been, at the very best, suspect, as have his personnel choices in a lot of cases. He's been doing a pretty poor job putting his guys in a position to succeed, and they've in turn been doing a pretty poor job of executing in those positions.

Bambrewer said:
After watching the actual video of the quotes it's not as bad as the tweets made it look. I think the guy just doesn't have that filter you need to have. His past tweet arguments just make it all the more clear. He is an emotional guy and says what's on his mind. He may still have to go depending how the school and staff feel but it wasn't the all out anger the individual quotes made it look like.

Yep. He should have not said anything but as usual the media, I'm the interest of making news, spin it out of control. Now others both here and at other media outlets have jumped all over the tweet snippets that contain no context. People are stupid to give interviews to people who tweet news.

actually no, you start looking for a new staff or find a way to work with what you have. That is what's called a leader

I don't think the performance is all his fault. It seems clear that he didn't have the pieces he wanted, but you can't keep putting a square peg in a round hole. Maybe his O would work in a few years, but for the the time being his O has to at least keep us in the game

Shafer would have never demoted McDonald without thinking it through.

I'm sure it was a series of events and not just the Louisville game.

rrlbees said:
Yep. He should have not said anything but as usual the media, I'm the interest of making news, spin it out of control. Now others both here and at other media outlets have jumped all over the tweet snippets that contain no context. People are stupid to give interviews to people who tweet news.

A 37 year old guy who's been coaching for over a decade, often at high profile programs, should know better.

It's absolutely no surprise that he displayed poor judgement. Any cursory glance at his Twitter fees would illustrate that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom