McDonald | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

I would love to hear McDonald give a speech to the guys about dealing with adversity and persevering and overcoming. He seems to have a pretty good handle on such things...wow.

A 37 year old guy who's been coaching for over a decade, often at high profile programs, should know better.

It's absolutely no surprise that he displayed poor judgement. Any cursory glance at his Twitter fees would illustrate that.
100% agree. He should know better. He's not a college kid who you can say, "Oh, he's only 19, he doesn't know better." George is a grown man. He has to know better.

That suggests everything McDonald has done has been perfect and this is entirely on a lack of execution, and that's just false. His playcalling has been, at the very best, suspect, as have his personnel choices in a lot of cases. He's been doing a pretty poor job putting his guys in a position to succeed, and they've in turn been doing a pretty poor job of executing in those positions.
Oh I agree. I just think he's been saddled with an awful QB and aside from us running the triple option, there's really not much we could do to play to our strengths.

Shafer would have never demoted McDonald without thinking it through.

I'm sure it was a series of events and not just the Louisville game.

I agree 100%.

Oh I agree. I just think he's been saddled with an awful QB and aside from us running the triple option, there's really not much we could do to play to our strengths.
But that's the thing - he doesn't understand what he has, and keeps trying to force the players he has into a system that doesn't work.

actually no, you start looking for a new staff or find a way to work with what you have. That is what's called a leader
It's not that plain and simple. He never got to bring in his own QB and had to work with a regressing Hunt.

McDonald wasn't great by any means, all I'm saying is it kind of sucks to lose your job because of a totally inadequate QB that you're forced to run your offense through.

I think that there is more to this decision than meets the eye. I don't really think that you can perform at an un-satisfactory level in your job an be "blindsided" by a superior making a decision to replace you.

That just doesn't happen.

McDonald shouldn't be talking to the media period.

And I don't care how nicely he said "I was blind-sided", it shows a distrust for his boss.

Someone should have put him on mute after the F*** it interview.

My greatest concern is that it appears Shafer runs a pretty loose ship. You think McDonald would have said the same if Marrone was HC?

The nickname 'McF***it' is perfect for him. It's certainly his go-to strategy when things get tough.

The other knock against McDonald I havent seen mentioned is that he has put our playmakers in position where they have gotten hurt- mainly the ridiculous mismatch bubble screens and using Hunt like a battering ram against MD. We dont have a dearth of playmakers to take their place so you need to use them in ways to keep them fresh and out of injury situations. We are having to use inferior players now less than halfway through the season because the guy doesn't know how to call plays to keep guys out of trouble.

Scooch said:
A 37 year old guy who's been coaching for over a decade, often at high profile programs, should know better. It's absolutely no surprise that he displayed poor judgement. Any cursory glance at his Twitter fees would illustrate that.

I said he shouldn't have said anything and people shouldn't give interviews to tweet hounds. But the actual interview is not as bad as the tweets make it sound.

It's not that plain and simple. He never got to bring in his own QB and had to work with a regressing Hunt.

McDonald wasn't great by any means, all I'm saying is it kind of sucks to lose your job because of a totally inadequate QB that you're forced to run your offense through.

Hunt wasnt regressing. He was breaking down physically.

I don't think this is about play on the field at all.
McDonald shouldn't be talking to the media period.

And I don't care how nicely he said "I was blind-sided", it shows a distrust for his boss.

Someone should have put him on mute after the F*** it interview.

My greatest concern is that it appears Shafer runs a pretty loose ship. You think McDonald would have said the same if Marrone was HC?

Good point. How many assistant coaches talked to the media with Marrone as HC. I don't recall too much of that going on.

No way do I blame Hunt. A good coach works with what he has, a great coach makes those he teaches better players. Hunt may not be the greatest QB but from what I've seen this year it doesn't appear he was getting the guidance he needed from the sidelines.

MjAxMi1iNDMxMWFlMmJjMzMxMjBm.png

I can't believe I'm going to defend Hunt but I disagree with your assessment that McDonald lost his job because of Hunt's play- isn't the job of the OC to maximimze the talents of all your offensive players? Why did Hunt regress this year? Isn't the sign of a good coach the development/improvement of your players and team performance? Well coached teams adjust and get better over the course of a season as coaches identify and play to strengths and minimize weaknesses. Our offense was getting more inept as the season wore on and ultimately that alway falls on the coaches.

No way do I blame Hunt. A good coach works with what he has, a great coach makes those he teaches better players. Hunt may not be the greatest QB but from what I've seen this year it doesn't appear he was getting the guidance he needed from the sidelines.
It's probably equal blame but it's gotta be frustrating when you call up a perfect play, first offensive possession of the game, Lewis is wide open up the seam and Hunt overthrows him. You call up a play for a TD and Ben Lewis drops it. You call up a trick play for a TD and Lewis drops it again. You call up a zone read and the QB doesn't read the defensive end correctly. All I'm saying is for as bad as McDonald was, he didn't have much to work with. I can see why he would be frustrated.

Someone get him the F off the stage. He won't stop with the quotes on twitter.

Bailey is just tweeting his notes from what he said was a 40 minute interview.

I'm sure the full story will be up in a few hours.

What is McDonald's twitter, I don't see a post after early September.

Bailey is just tweeting his notes from what he said was a 40 minute interview.

I'm sure the full story will be up in a few hours.
Thanks for clarifying. I stepped away and came back to more of the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom