McDonald | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

Agreed with a few above. What are Shafer and Gross doing during all this (or Sue Edison)?
Shafer is in over his head. You can demote/fire all the assistants you want but in the end when there is nobody left to fire...well.

Shafer hired this guy as his OC. Shafer didn't use his "VETO" power (which as a head coach he has) during game-planning or in games to say no run this play or no, this week we do this. To throw the guy under the bus the first week of October shows how he is in over his head as a head coach. Some guys are career coordinators and that's ok. That isn't a bad thing. Shafer is not a head coach.

P.S...good luck to Shafer trying to get quality assistants to come to Syracuse now after this debacle. This is exactly why Shafer now has to go. Who is gonna wanna work for and with Shafer now?!

Stern said:
Shafer is in over his head. You can demote/fire all the assistants you want but in the end when there is nobody left to fire...well. Shafer hired this guy as his OC. Shafer didn't use his "VETO" power (which as a head coach he has) during game-planning or in games to say no run this play or no, this week we do this. To throw the guy under the bus the first week of October shows how he is in over his head as a head coach. Some guys are career coordinators and that's ok. That isn't a bad thing. Shafer is not a head coach. P.S...good luck to Shafer trying to get quality assistants to come to Syracuse now after this debacle. This is exactly why Shafer now has to go. Who is gonna wanna work for and with Shafer now?!

BS. That's exactly the kind of guy that you take a chance on. Smart, well respected WR coach - with big time recruiting ties to Florida.

It didn't work out - but I'd rather my head coach take chances than hire retreads.

TheCusian said:
BS. That's exactly the kind of guy that you take a chance on. Smart, well respected WR coach - with big time recruiting ties to Florida. It didn't work out - but I'd rather my head coach take chances than hire retreads.
Yeah about that smart stuff

Shafer is in over his head. You can demote/fire all the assistants you want but in the end when there is nobody left to fire...well.

Shafer hired this guy as his OC. Shafer didn't use his "VETO" power (which as a head coach he has) during game-planning or in games to say no run this play or no, this week we do this. To throw the guy under the bus the first week of October shows how he is in over his head as a head coach. Some guys are career coordinators and that's ok. That isn't a bad thing. Shafer is not a head coach.

P.S...good luck to Shafer trying to get quality assistants to come to Syracuse now after this debacle. This is exactly why Shafer now has to go. Who is gonna wanna work for and with Shafer now?!
Don't know if I'd go this far but over this last week or so, HCSS is looking like warmed-over cat manure.
I still think that the firing of MCD was horrendously ill-timed and could've waited till season's end.
Meanwhile, we are now looking at an FSU juggernaut w/ our 2 unproven QB's and a new OC...oh, goody!
I put this squarely on HCSS. A full season of ineptitude by MCD would've been all the proof he needed that he made the right move in firing him. Now, whether he likes it or not, there will be some who think :"maybe things could've turned around", &, "maybe he fired him too soon/didn't give him a "fair" shot", etc. Not to mention the likely negative fallout in our recruiting class.
I'm more worried about the seemingly rudderless ship being steered by Capt HCSS, than anything MCD has to say.

cuseguy said:
Watching the McDonald presser, thought he handled himself reasonably well and was pretty composed. The whole thing is sad and unfortunate. The Ville game was a breaking point, but if we're 3-2 instead of 2-3, this doesn't happen. Maryland, ND, Ville, FSU. Overscheduled.

3 of those 4 are conference games though. Not much choice, right?

Wow so things just got really weird. After Shafer and Lester saying how much of a team player George was, McDonald drops that comment to Bailey.

"I was blindsided by the demotion. I would have stayed at Arkansas if I knew this would happe."

Just wow. We are almost better off cutting bait right now. That's a terrible thing to say when you have kids you have recruited to the program, and kids you are in contact with. I really hope Shafer takes over South Florida for him because George is obviously gone at the end of the year.

With that said McDonald may be the most overrated "Great" recruiter ever. Sure he may have been solid at other schools, but who has he brought to Syracuse that we normally wouldn't get? imo not one kid. People will say Ishmael, but Ish took officials visits to Illinois, Louisville, and another ho-hum place I can't recall. If you want to be labeled a great recruiter you better actually bring in kids we wouldn't normally get. The kids he has committed for this year don't even have any other offers. He may have been just as big of a bust on the recruiting trail then he has as an OC. And after that comment he can hit the road right now for all I care because he is leaving eventually.
Ishmael and Edouard were good talents...

One isn't even here yet, and we have beat out schools like Illinois and Louisville before. Shafer did just as good of a job down in South Florida as George has.
You still have to convince the guys to come up here and he's playing as a freshman and looks good. I'll give credit where credit is due for McDonald.

Watching the McDonald presser, thought he handled himself reasonably well and was pretty composed.

The whole thing is sad and unfortunate.

The Ville game was a breaking point, but if we're 3-2 instead of 2-3, this doesn't happen.

Maryland, ND, Ville, FSU.

Overscheduled.

I don't see how he handled himself well. No matter how mad you are you don't come out and say you would have stayed at Arkansas. Then when Shafer was brought up he basically let everyone know what he feels about him. Sure he was composed and quickly tried to say the right things, but the way he handled those 2 questions right there was enough for it to be an epic failure. What do you think the current players are thinking about that? He may leave after next year, but the players need to stay and play for Shafer. McDonald disrespected Shafer in that interview. That's not even mentioning the current kids he has committed. What do you think that interview says to them? Sure he was polite for 95% of it, but those 2 comments were bad enough that he deserves all the crap he's getting.

And yes i agree we over scheduled, but that's not changing.

You still have to convince the guys to come up here and he's playing as a freshman and looks good. I'll give credit where credit is due for McDonald.

Who cares Shafer brought in the same type of So. Fla talent. Whoever was recruiting him for Syracuse would have had just as good of a chance. Even if we do give him credit for Ishmael, that's it. Who else did he get that we don't normally get down there?

So I've read every comment here, and I am surprised that no one bought up the fact that the OC or the WR coach or any member of the coaching staff is a ROLE MODEL for the players at all times.

Here in lies the problem with what happened tonight. This is what they are teaching all of our athletes not to do. Do not post things on twitter, facebook or other social media sources. Do not say things that you should not say. Or even better as Mr Winston just learned don't jump up on a table in a crowded room and yell things that you should not.
A coach doing this is a huge problem now for the school from this standpoint.

I feel bad for McDonald. I do. Because I would feel bad for any person who goes through this. I have empathy for people in general. He should have finished the year while working his connections behind the scenes to find his next opportunity. He has now tarnished his imagine, and this will be harder. I think he had a mini breakdown, and I hope he comes out someplace good on the other end. But as far as our school goes, I think he is too toxic at this point.

For those that are even remotely backing McDonald for the video portion of his interview "not being that bad", or making veiled excuses as to why he wasn't successful at his job... SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY?!

Adios of town. Immediately.

So I've read every comment here, and I am surprised that no one bought up the fact that the OC or the WR coach or any member of the coaching staff is a ROLE MODEL for the players at all times.

Here in lies the problem with what happened tonight. This is what they are teaching all of our athletes not to do. Do not post things on twitter, facebook or other social media sources. Do not say things that you should not say. Or even better as Mr Winston just learned don't jump up on a table in a crowded room and yell things that you should not.
A coach doing this is a huge problem now for the school from this standpoint.

I feel bad for McDonald. I do. Because I would feel bad for any person who goes through this. I have empathy for people in general. He should have finished the year while working his connections behind the scenes to find his next opportunity. He has now tarnished his imagine, and this will be harder. I think he had a mini breakdown, and I hope he comes out someplace good on the other end. But as far as our school goes, I think he is too toxic at this point.

Exactly. He also talked about crying when he found out and reading psalms. The Arkansas comment was way overboard on so many levels---it sets a bad example for the team, disrespects 'Cuse, implied that he was doing US a favor by taking a promotion, and it was generally childish. Of course we all understand his frustrations on a human level, but to say those things in an interview is just naive and childish, regardless of the other things he said. Save it for your family and closest friends.

Its like someone going into a job interview and talking about how unfairly they were treated at their last job. Good luck getting past the first ten minutes of that interview!

I thought the on the field product was bad seems that everything is going wrong. I really hope the team bounces back on the field because this looks bad for Shafer and Gross. If it continues this year I can see the new guy cleaning house.

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia
McDonald said he got texts from around football affirming that he's "not as bad as Syracuse thinks I am."

Wow. Someone doesn't want his job anymore. What is he thinking saying these things to Axe?

I hope we can drop all the McD is really smart nonsense now. The guy is a knucklehead through and through. He's only hurting himself with these soundbytes. Guy has no filter. Completely unprofessional.

I doubt Shafer will chose #2. We'll see soon enough.
I agree, very little chance you remove a coach completely in season leaving yourself short handed the rest of the way. Not much time to interview and no time to get a new coach up to speed in the middle of the season. Hopefully George can pull it together and be professional enough to finish strong.

He was trying to go to NCST but they wouldn't take him because he was an academic risk. He had no other options
I love Bris but let's not go overboard- so far he is a nice but not great player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom