MCW Leaving? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW Leaving?

No player thinking about leaving this year will become a higher pick in 2014. The guys that will be eligible for the 14 draft after one year of college will most likely take the top 5 spots. They would take the top 5 spots if they were eligible this year. Michael will make more money this year than if he waited. I hope he gets with the right team and thrives. I really think he might have a better pro career than college. And that would help our program immensely

I suspect he's gone. But he didnt do his draft stock any favors last night.

I appreciate this point. But, even after last night, he is still a 6-6, 21 year old point guard with an excellent ability to get the ball to players in rhythm. He is also an above average rebounder and has a knack for getting into passing lanes. Rare qualities. MCW will look much, much better when he is passing to NBA level scorers, and when he develops physically into his frame.

The question will be how quickly he refines his ability to handle NBA level ball pressure. He is never going to be a scorer.

Probably gone as I think his mind was already made up early in the year. However, don't be too sure of that lottery pick status or even first round. I have read that scouts are very mixed on him. Excellent size and defensive potential but hasn't shown he runs a team well and his fundamentals are not good. IMO, the tryouts will determine where he is drafted. He should wait until the very last moment except I think it was already decided and JB recruited accordingly.

Probably gone as I think his mind was already made up early in the year. However, don't be too sure of that lottery pick status or even first round. I have read that scouts are very mixed on him. Excellent size and defensive potential but hasn't shown he runs a team well and his fundamentals are not good. IMO, the tryouts will determine where he is drafted. He should wait until the very last moment except I think it was already decided and JB recruited accordingly.
No way he falls out of the lottery, he isn't Donte' Greene. And it doesn't matter if a few scouts don't like him, all it takes is 1 team to fall in love with him.

Definitely doesn't fall out of the top ten. Look who is out there on the mock drafts. Its very weak. In the pre game one guy(Bilas maybe?) said that even though Trey Burke is the national player of the year MCW has the most talent on either team. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees doesn't matter. Someone thought it and there will be other people on NBA teams that will think it.

Definitely doesn't fall out of the top ten. Look who is out there on the mock drafts. Its very weak. In the pre game one guy(Bilas maybe?) said that even though Trey Burke is the national player of the year MCW has the most talent on either team. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees doesn't matter. Someone thought it and there will be other people on NBA teams that will think it.
Trey Burke didn't exactly look like Mr. All-American either last night.

nbadraft.net is as good as any other and has him at 12. That's outside the top ten, right? At any rate, the chart will get jumbled a lot in the next 2 months. I guess we'll see. I hope it all works out for him, but I wouldn't pick him early. It's a thin line between lotto and late first/early second. I see it happen every year. Read the negatives from the aforementioned site. Pretty scarey if you are a GM.

1st round lock, 50/50 he's a lottery pick.

Nice GD reference...
He's gone...and nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone...

Trey Burke didn't exactly look like Mr. All-American either last night.
No, he looked awful. However, he played against a defense that is historically tough on PGs, while MCW played against the NBA defense...M2M. No saying Burke is great. I think he is overrated. Can't believe someone on the panel said he will be an allstar at the next level.....

He doesn't have an NBA skill...weak j, bad finisher, skinny frame.

The kid should really return to school and improve his closing. He would be a one contract guy in the league.

For what its worth, I think he's gone, and hope he has a great career. But, personally, I was more confident in Jonny's NBA prospects than MCWs. I hope I am wrong...he's a good kid.

The kid should really return to school and improve his closing. He would be a one contract guy in the league.
He has height

Ugh, this fixation with "one elite skill" drives me nuts.

He's a world class basketball player. The NBA likes those.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
He is not in any sense of the word, a "world class basketball player" at this point. If he played for any other team, you guys would be crucifying him. As stated (and paraphrased earlier) he has a very high potential ceiling and a very low basement. Anthony Randolph was described the same way. GMs are starting to look for guys with potential that don't have so many holes in their game. I think he will drop. I also think he will struggle mightily at the next level. He has next level athleticism and length but lacks the ability to finish at the rim even at this level. His jump shot is spotty (being nice), he lacks the "take charge of the team" skills that the NBA requires of their PGs, and his passing fundamentals are just not there. I just believe that as good as he was for us most of the time, he will struggle against real world class basketball players. I also think he appears a bit emotionally fragile. What is your scouting report on him?

Being a projected lottery pick , looking at Noel's injury, and , he will have an opportunity to help his family

Based on what I saw yesterday and not considering the house fire (which I assume had homeowners insurance) his family doesn't need much "help".

He is not in any sense of the word, a "world class basketball player" at this point. If he played for any other team, you guys would be crucifying him. As stated (and paraphrased earlier) he has a very high potential ceiling and a very low basement. Anthony Randolph was described the same way. GMs are starting to look for guys with potential that don't have so many holes in their game. I think he will drop. I also think he will struggle mightily at the next level. He has next level athleticism and length but lacks the ability to finish at the rim even at this level. His jump shot is spotty (being nice), he lacks the "take charge of the team" skills that the NBA requires of their PGs, and his passing fundamentals are just not there. I just believe that as good as he was for us most of the time, he will struggle against real world class basketball players. I also think he appears a bit emotionally fragile. What is your scouting report on him?
My scouting report is simple - everything he doesn't do well skillwise are things he'll improve on over time. All of the things he does well will translate. He's physically unique and will only get stronger.

He also doesn't need to be an ideal NBA player across the board. He won't be viewed as a savior by the team that drafts him as he'll likely go late lottery - mid round. Situation will matter. I'd love to see him land with the Thunder, Jazz, Hawks or Pacers.

Ugh, this fixation with "one elite skill" drives me nuts.

He's a world class basketball player. The NBA likes those.

No he's not. He plays for an elite program. The NBA is a couple of stars and role players who fit a skill. He's no NBA star.

Lmao, there is no world in which MCW isn't a first round pick.

It blows my mind that people are still surprised that he's a projected lottery pick. He was playing like the #3 player in the tournament when it was all said and done (behind McGary and Russ Smith) and if it were based solely on potential, he's probably a top 5 player in the draft.

Passing, defensive instincts, rebounding, first step. All legitimate NBA talents.

So do a lot of people.
Not at the PG position.

Look at the past NBA lotterys, potential is looked at before anything else. And that's what he has. I don't think he's ready for the NBA by any stretch, but that doesn't mean he won't be a top 14 pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom