MCW vs. JT | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW vs. JT

Call me crazy but I'm actually fine with the way MCW has been playing lately.

Ditto. I think he gets it, he's trying to get into the lane more, shoot less threes outside of late game situations - he's still prone to those ridiculous jump-pass turnovers, but he's been fine considering what's going on with our shooting overall.

inferior competition? who g'town x2, louisville x2, @marquette, @uconn? cause he dominated the non conference, so who is inferior?

Yes he "dominated" Monmouth and Long Beach State. Congrats.

Yes Uconn, Marquette and you failed to mention Pitt and Villanova.

Yes he "dominated" Monmouth and Long Beach State. Congrats.

Yes Uconn, Marquette and you failed to mention Pitt and Villanova.

he has been our best player along with CJ the past month? so ok maybe he had a couple bad games in january, but last time i checked they play 35+ games a year.

MCW has actually been playing a lot better lately, so the timing of this post makes no sense. The other guards are the ones playing really poorly right now.

MCW just can't shoot from outside. He's probably our worst outside shooting PG since Thues. I would say Edelin but he was smart enough to know his limits and not take those shots.

Is MCW the worst Syracuse PG since James Theus?

If you think I'm crazy then watch the past 10 games and notice his regression. He can't play within himself, turnovers are way too high, he doesnt make shots and he doesnt show any leadership.

Have you forgotten me?

ENLARGE_01joshua_wright.jpg

MCW has actually been playing a lot better lately, so the timing of this post makes no sense. The other guards are the ones playing really poorly right now.

MCW just can't shoot from outside. He's probably our worst outside shooting PG since Thues. I would say Edelin but he was smart enough to know his limits and not take those shots.
MCW has cut down his outsidee shots lately, he still has the occasional What 3 or transition J, but other than that most of FG attempts have come in the paint. If he's wide open from 3 I don't mind if he takes it, he has made them before and he's not exactly Kendall Marshall (before he significantly improved in his last year)

he has been our best player along with CJ the past month? so ok maybe he had a couple bad games in january, but last time i checked they play 35+ games a year.

Dude CJ has far and away been the best player on the team. He would probably be insulted if you put his play in the same sentence as MCW.

Dude CJ has far and away been the best player on the team. He would probably be insulted if you put his play in the same sentence as MCW.

MCW has a lot more responsibility out there. Also, nobody mentions his defense. He is 4th in the nation in steals. It's no coincidence we have one of the better defenses we have had in a while. his length at the top of the zone is something we have never really had. He has great anticipation, and limits penetration for the most part. All CJ needs to do is put the ball in the basket when he is given the ball in scoring position, which he is great at. But you totally devalue MCW, which is too bad

MCW has been running the offense efficiently over the last 7-10 games. He's cut way down on bad shots, had a nice assist to turnover ratio (yesterday not withstanding), made is free-throws, and has played huge minutes against the BE's toughest teams. Not sure what Nick has been watching... Clearly he is very much in the minority.

So, the coaches, scouts, GM's and everybody else is wrong about MCW, and you're right. Okay, got it.

James Thues has an undeserved bad reputation. Excellent on defense. Not a good shooter, but a pretty good distributor. Also very quick.

His numbers don't compare too badly with MCW. JT in 2001-2002 vs MCW 1012-2013:

MIN JT 1127 MCW 1076
FG% JT .440 MCW .431
3% JT .302 MCW .279
FT% JT .556 MCW .755
PPG JT 5.6 MCW 12.5
AST JT 178 MCW 235
TO JT 88 MCW 105
STL JT 101 MCW 89
REB JT 104 MCW 146

MCW's numbers are better. But not by as much as the reputations would suggest. JT has an edge in FG%, 3%, Turnovers and steals. MCW scores more, is better at the line, gets more assists and rebounds.

Is MCW the worst Syracuse PG since James Theus?

If you think I'm crazy then watch the past 10 games and notice his regression. He can't play within himself, turnovers are way too high, he doesnt make shots and he doesnt show any leadership.
And yet next year at this time he will be driving some high ed roadster and have a bank account with cash to spare. I sure as hell won't be saying that.Probably most here won't be saying that.The real sad part is that most of this year's grads won't be saying that but a 6'6" guy who can marginally play point guard will be offered a contract of ridiculous proportions,both instill and intellect. I'll take a more traditional pg that runs and passes with a high degree of competency. I don't care if he can fly 8' to make a highlight slam dunk.:crazy:

James Thues has an undeserved bad reputation. Excellent on defense. Not a good shooter, but a pretty good distributor. Also very quick.

His numbers don't compare too badly with MCW. JT in 2001-2002 vs MCW 1012-2013:

MIN JT 1127 MCW 1076
FG% JT .440 MCW .431
3% JT .302 MCW .279
FT% JT .556 MCW .755
PPG JT 5.6 MCW 12.5
AST JT 178 MCW 235
TO JT 88 MCW 105
STL JT 101 MCW 89
REB JT 104 MCW 146

MCW's numbers are better. But not by as much as the reputations would suggest. JT has an edge in FG%, 3%, Turnovers and steals. MCW scores more, is better at the line, gets more assists and rebounds.

that's 2 games less of stats. not to mention the 12.5 vs 5.6, while already having more assists make this not even close. even though that was probably our worst team in the past 30 years.

And yet next year at this time he will be driving some high ed roadster and have a bank account with cash to spare. I sure as hell won't be saying that.Probably most here won't be saying that.The real sad part is that most of this year's grads won't be saying that but a 6'6" guy who can marginally play point guard will be offered a contract of ridiculous proportions,both instill and intellect. I'll take a more traditional pg that runs and passes with a high degree of competency. I don't care if he can fly 8' to make a highlight slam dunk.:crazy:

imo he will be a better pro then college player

MCW has cut down his outsidee shots lately, he still has the occasional What 3 or transition J, but other than that most of FG attempts have come in the paint. If he's wide open from 3 I don't mind if he takes it, he has made them before and he's not exactly Kendall Marshall (before he significantly improved in his last year)
Agreed, but as you say he still takes some bad ones from out there. The pull-up in transition from the right wing yesterday was a terrible decision.

Agreed, but as you say he still takes some bad ones from out there. The pull-up in transition from the right wing yesterday was a terrible decision.

he was 8-13 yesterday. so he tried to make something happen and took a bad shot. not like anyone else was doing anything out there

he was 8-13 yesterday. so he tried to make something happen and took a bad shot. not like anyone else was doing anything out there
This.

WHen he sees that BT and JS aren't hitting their shots, and CJ struggling, I can't fault him for taking that shot.

MCW's biggest issue is not living up to expectations that others have placed on him. Which is ridiculous. Just because he was anointed as the second coming fans overcompensate when he makes any mistake. He has had some bad games but has played well as of late. Like the OP there are too many on this board who take off their orange colored glasses only when he has the ball in his hands.

Bottom line is he is a pretty damn good player, and this is a horrendous thread.

While the original post was dumb, and some of the MCW criticism is dumb, some of you guys are a little extra with defending everything. I agree with you! He's playing well!

It's ok to say a guy took a bad shot.

MCW shouldn't take pull-up 3s in transition. Ever. Period.

3s when the shot clock is low and it's the best shot we can get at that point, or maybe occasionally off of great ball movement that leaves him WIDE OPEN. That's it.

I'll go back to the Edelin point. Know your limits. Play to your strengths. No frustration chucks or "trying to make something happen" chucks. Make something good happen by doing what you do well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom