Melodramatic absolutely owning Lebron | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melodramatic absolutely owning Lebron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melo has been a volume scorer his whole career until the last 2 weeks.

You could make an argument for top 8 probably, but no way he's better than LeBron/Wade/Durant/Rose/Howard.

Melo has been a volume scorer his whole career until the last 2 weeks.

You could make an argument for top 5 probably, but no way he's better than LeBron/Wade/Durant/Rose.
Heresy!

Lebron is old news at this point.

How the heck can a guy who averages 27 ppg (53% from the field), 8 rpg, 6 apg and 2 spg on the team that Vegas considers to have the best odds right now of winning it all possibly be considered "old news"?

Melo was better yesterday and I want him to be better, but in my heart of hearts..of course Lebron is better.

Melo was playing like it was game 7 of the finals last night...Lebron looked like he was playing in a scrimmage...and still, look at the outcome.

How the heck can a guy who averages 27 ppg (53% from the field), 8 rpg, 6 apg and 2 spg on the team that Vegas considers to have the best odds right now of winning it all possibly be considered "old news"?
The LeBron hate is brought on by expectations everyone else had for him, it's not like he asked for it. What he did in Cleveland with pretty much no talent around him is incredible. People look at him and think he should have 4 titles by now.

Why hasn't Durant come under that kind of scrutiny? LeBron went to the Finals in his 2nd year; Durant hasn't even sniffed them and he's in his 5th year. Not to mention that team is loaded.

He's not the best player in the NBA. Look at what Melo did against the Bulls last Sunday. Has James ever done that? I'm not saying Melo is the best in the league, but he's clutch and James is not. Melo's never missed the playoffs either, while James already has twice. And what James did in going to Miami is not something that the best player in the NBA does.

Kevin Durant is probably the best player in the league. Kobe Bryant is still better than James. And if you were re-building a team, it would make more sense to start with Chris Paul or Dwight Howard.

Yes, he is the best player in the NBA. And if you want to make an argument for Durant...that's about as close as you can get. The fact that you even mentioned Kobe...let alone called him better...says it all. And then using Melo as the comparison for what he did against the Bulls. Sorry, but Melo is nowhere near what LeBron is and if you want to talk about what they respectively did against the Bulls...LeBron shut Derrick Rose down in the playoffs. Not a regular season game.

The Cavs won 17 games before LeBron. 35 in his rookie season.
Scored 35 in 8 or nine games (believe only Jordan and Kobe have done that in the modern era)
Took the Cavs to the finals after being down 0-2 with a 48 point performance.

08-09: #1 in Win Shares
09-10: #1 in Win Shares
10-11: #1 in Win Shares
11-12: #1 in Win Shares
05-06: #2 in Win Shares
06-07: #2 in Win Shares
07-08: #2 in Win Shares

Neither Durant (but he will someday) nor Kobe nor Howard have ever led the league in that category (even 1 time) and the best Bryant has ever been is 4th).

#1 in the league in PER: 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12. Kobe has never been higher than third and in the 6 year stretch he was only in the top 5 twice.

3X 1st Team Defense. Dwight came in the league in 04 and LeBron 03. They have been 1st Team NBA Defense three times each.

If you were starting a team it would make sense to start with LeBron or maybe Durant. Anything else would be ridiculous.

44cuse

Melo was better yesterday and I want him to be better, but in my heart of hearts..of course Lebron is better.

Melo was playing like it was game 7 of the finals last night...Lebron looked like he was playing in a scrimmage...and still, look at the outcome.
Knicks needed it a lot more than Miami did. It's clear the Heat are just coasting till the playoffs; they can turn it on when they need to.

Melo's atrocious D alone takes him out of any sort of best player in the league discussions. Also when comparing Melo vs Lebron we need to take into consideration that when Melo was forced to play an offense that did not allow him to be extremely high usage he totally sucked. Lebron is putting up the numbers he does now in an offense where he has to share the ball with two other primary options. In order to fairly compare Melo and Lebron you need to take a look at what Lebron did when he was in Cleveland when he averaged 30+ a game and carried that craptastic team to one of the best records in the league and deep into the playoffs basically by himself. What is Melo doing with this team when he has a similar role to Lebron's role in Cleveland? Barely making the playoffs as a 8 seed.

If Melo had put up these numbers when playing with his full squad then we could debate but as it is he's the best option on a totally crap team which is inflating his numbers. He is a great offensive player but Lebron is better than anyone else in the league, but he's forcing himself to play in a system rather than being a gunner like Melo.

Gotta give Melo credit. He was carrying the Knicks the entire game. When they needed a bucket they gave him the ball and made him work 20 seconds for it. Lebron and Wade can just take turns taking plays off and stand around for 20 seconds while the other makes a play.

You could tell late in the 4th Melo was taking plays off on defense just to save energy to get a jumper off the enxt time down. Maybe things will change when Lin and Stat get back

Gotta give Melo credit. He was carrying the Knicks the entire game. When they needed a bucket they gave him the ball and made him work 20 seconds for it. Lebron and Wade can just take turns taking plays off and stand around for 20 seconds while the other makes a play.

You could tell late in the 4th Melo was taking plays off on defense just to save energy to get a jumper off the enxt time down. Maybe things will change when Lin and Stat get back
It's gonna be a readjustment period when those 2 get back, and the Knicks can't afford that. I think Lin will be ok, I'm not sure how Amare will be though honestly. The Knicks have a really good formula right now.

Yeah, he played like 43 minutes and was the focus of the entire defense every possession. Can't be easy; and he didn't guard Lebron the whole game because I assume they knew he'd get tired.

3X 1st Team Defense. Dwight came in the league in 04 and LeBron 03. They have been 1st Team NBA Defense three times each.

Seems crazy Dwight has only been first team all D 3 times. I'm guessing the last 3 years?

It's gonna be a readjustment period when those 2 get back, and the Knicks can't afford that. I think Lin will be ok, I'm not sure how Amare will be though honestly. The Knicks have a really good formula right now.

The Knicks need Lin back about 1,000 times more than Stat. Too bad it looks like Stat is a lot closer to playing than Lin.

Melo's atrocious D alone takes him out of any sort of best player in the league discussions. Also when comparing Melo vs Lebron we need to take into consideration that when Melo was forced to play an offense that did not allow him to be extremely high usage he totally sucked.

Great point. This is probably the biggest difference between Bron and Melo at this point. If Melo doesnt score and isn't the entire focal point of his offense, he isn't really impacting the game. Whereas Lebron will go get you 27 pts, 8-9 rebounds and drop atleast 6 dimes every night...even on nights when Wade or Bosh have their offense rolling. Lebron is the guy you just take for granted. As fans, we are used to the best player in the league being a volume shooter like Kobe. We aren't used to seeing a guy with talent like this be so unselfish on the court.

Lins done for the year no matter what imo, this injury is worse than their letting on i tore my meniscus and they removed a part of it, i was back in 6 weeks...lin got his repaired and they stitched it up which makes the recovery longer. Osi yumeniora and jermichael finley had the same exact injury and treatment and they missed the whole entire year. I would much rather have lin over stat but it aint happening

Great point. This is probably the biggest difference between Bron and Melo at this point. If Melo doesnt score and isn't the entire focal point of his offense, he isn't really impacting the game. Whereas Lebron will go get you 27 pts, 8-9 rebounds and drop atleast 6 dimes every night...even on nights when Wade or Bosh have their offense rolling. Lebron is the guy you just take for granted. As fans, we are used to the best player in the league being a volume shooter like Kobe. We aren't used to seeing a guy with talent like this be so unselfish on the court.
This is why I think people who get on Bron about "taking the easy way out" by going to Miami are dumb. He doesn't care about being the #1, he just wants to win. Kobe and Jordan wanted to be the guy, no matter what; James just isn't wired that way although his talent dictates he SHOULD be. He's more like Magic than he is like Jordan.

I think LeBron likes taking the last shot, but if he someone like James Jones open in the corner, he'll pass it, and get criticized for it; while Kobe will shoot over 3 guys while fading away, and somehow gets more credit.

The Knicks need Lin back about 1,000 times more than Stat. Too bad it looks like Stat is a lot closer to playing than Lin.
Although the knicks got outrebounded 47-33, maybe Stat will help with that

Yes, he is the best player in the NBA. And if you want to make an argument for Durant...that's about as close as you can get. The fact that you even mentioned Kobe...let alone called him better...says it all. And then using Melo as the comparison for what he did against the Bulls. Sorry, but Melo is nowhere near what LeBron is and if you want to talk about what they respectively did against the Bulls...LeBron shut Derrick Rose down in the playoffs. Not a regular season game.

The Cavs won 17 games before LeBron. 35 in his rookie season.
Scored 35 in 8 or nine games (believe only Jordan and Kobe have done that in the modern era)
Took the Cavs to the finals after being down 0-2 with a 48 point performance.

08-09: #1 in Win Shares
09-10: #1 in Win Shares
10-11: #1 in Win Shares
11-12: #1 in Win Shares
05-06: #2 in Win Shares
06-07: #2 in Win Shares
07-08: #2 in Win Shares

Neither Durant (but he will someday) nor Kobe nor Howard have ever led the league in that category (even 1 time) and the best Bryant has ever been is 4th).

#1 in the league in PER: 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12. Kobe has never been higher than third and in the 6 year stretch he was only in the top 5 twice.

If you were starting a team it would make sense to start with LeBron or maybe Durant. Anything else would be ridiculous.

44cuse

Come on, 44cuse. If you're going to make an argument, at least have facts and statistics to back it up.

Lins done for the year no matter what imo, this injury is worse than their letting on i tore my meniscus and they removed a part of it, i wad back in 6 weeks...lin got his repaired and they stitched it up whick makes the recovery longer. Osi yumeniora and jermichael finley had the same exact injury and treatment and they missed the whole entire year. I sould much rather have lin over stat but it aint happening
I like Iman but Davis is a shell of his former self. Shumpert will be really good to have on the defensive end going against guys like Rose, Rondo, etc.

Lets not get it totally twisted. Bron shut down DRose when it mattered and was the main reason why they closed out CHI last year. I'm no Lebron fan, but he has had far far more post season success than MyMeloMyMan:

Anything James does in Miami doesn't count because he's playing second fiddle to Wade.

And as I stated above, the Pistons series was fixed.

And let me be clear, I'm not saying Melo is better than James. But I am saying that James isn't the best player in the league.

I like Iman but Davis is a shell of his former self. Shumpert will be really good to have on the defensive end going against guys like Rose, Rondo, etc.

Yea davis is completely shot, imans becoming my favorite player...wouldve fit in perfectly with the mid nineties knicks

This is why I think people who get on Bron about "taking the easy way out" by going to Miami are dumb. He doesn't care about being the #1, he just wants to win.
Yeah I agree. Let's take away Kobe's first 3 rings because he was playing with the best center in the league. Kobe should have left LA and gone to the Hornets. What a wuss. What a sell-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom