Miami of ohio coach. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Miami of ohio coach.

His background is very similar to Leipold's. The thought would be that you are bringing in the next Lance. Martin wouldn't be my first choice but he should be on the list.

Who are the other REALISTIC candidates that are clearly ahead of him?
Honestly, if we can’t spend 5-6M a year on a top flight candidate at this point after what this fan base has had to endure over the last 20 years, it may be time for all of us to take a long hard look at our fandom here and maybe move on to something else.

Even if the guy doesn’t work out, you at least know the Admin had their hearts in the right place.

Bringing this guy over at $2m a year to win 5-7 games the next 5 years….

Honestly, if we can’t spend 5-6M a year on a top flight candidate at this point after what this fan base has had to endure over the last 20 years, it may be time for all of us to take a long hard look at our fandom here and maybe move on to something else.

I’m okay with spending less if you’re going to do what IB keeps saying and grab some young, innovative, up and coming guy and see what he does. Then if it doesn’t work in a few years, can him. It’s not complicated. You can do that with a guy on a 2-3 million salary.

I’m okay with spending less if you’re going to do what IB keeps saying and grab some young, innovative, up and coming guy and see what he does. Then if it doesn’t work in a few years, can him. It’s not complicated. You can do that with a guy on a 2-3 million salary.
The irony is that outside of this rumored not liking recruiting stuff, Mullen checks every single box we’d want in a candidate and he’s not even on the list to talk to supposedly.

That kind of tells me all I need to know at this point. Al Golden is a poor man’s Mullen so that’s all I can hope for.

The irony is that outside of this rumored not liking recruiting stuff, Mullen checks every single box we’d want in a candidate and he’s not even on the list to talk to supposedly.

That kind of tells me all I need to know at this point. Al Golden is a poor man’s Mullen so that’s all I can hope for.

At this point, DB could still be back next year. If he is, next years schedule should easily get him to a bowl game. That means he could then be back at least another year after that. So until he’s gone and we know SU is literally making calls and talking to people. None of this matters nor do we know that we will or won’t contact Mullen. JW was at the game Mullen was announcing. For all we know he’s already been loosely interviewed.

Sorry but no. This will be the first season at Miami that the team will lose less than 6 games. He's not a great recruiter. He's a Brian Kelly Grand Valley State guy that went to Notre Dame with Kelly. I could recruit players to Notre Dame. That is his only other D1 experience other than a year at Eastern Michigan as LB coach in 1998. Do we really want a coach that took 9 years to lose less than 6 games. Dino has a better record at higher level and more experience at higher levels. We should want better than Dino or what's the point?

He's been at his current school for 10 years and has a losing record. You might as well keep Babers or even go give Charlie Strong another shot.
understood. I didn't have a clue about this guy until I heard he might be on a short list.

If you're tossing around the names of MAC coaches, Candle > than Martin and it's not even close. The guy is 64-33 at Toledo. Chuck Martin? gimme a break.

I rather have Candle at this point but to be fair they have the same MAC record the last 8 years.

Chuck Martin doesn’t really move the needle for me. I posted this in another thread, but reposting below:

53-61 Overall Record at Miami (OH)
1-3 Bowl Record

2023 Total Offense - 95th (Syracuse is 91st)

Recruiting Classes
2015 - 74th
2016 - 87th
2017 - 93rd
2018 - 128th
2019 - 90th
2020 - 91st
2021 - 90th
2022 - 89th
2023 - 112th

2-11 Record against P5 teams (includes win against Cincinnati this year)

He’s probably the 3rd best Ohio based MAC school coaching candidate.
Who in the MAC is better. IMO Candle is but it isn’t by much. No one else seems close to have Martin #3.

Sorry but no. This will be the first season at Miami that the team will lose less than 6 games. He's not a great recruiter. He's a Brian Kelly Grand Valley State guy that went to Notre Dame with Kelly. I could recruit players to Notre Dame. That is his only other D1 experience other than a year at Eastern Michigan as LB coach in 1998. Do we really want a coach that took 9 years to lose less than 6 games. Dino has a better record at higher level and more experience at higher levels. We should want better than Dino or what's the point?

Would people have taken Leipold? They have similar backgrounds and successes.

He won 3 D2 National Championships at Grand Valley St, but he has losing record at Miami OH

Since things clicked in year three he is 39-17 in the MAC and 49-36 overall. His OOC record stinks.

Not that many of these current MAC coaches really excite me but I see the reasoning, I think if you hire a current MAC HC or a coach at a lower level, it's so much easier for them to hit the ground running and they have guys on their current staff they can simply bring over with them, minus one of their coordinators who will most likely get the job they left behind and an assistant or two. But isn't this what we just did with Dino?

I am interested in guys like Joe Brady at Buffalo if he were to have some moderate success as the interim OC for Buffalo. Dan Pitcher with the Bengals. The OC at Oregon, Leipold's OC at Kansas. Tim Cramsey OC at Memphis, they score a ton of points and his offense is clean and like top 5 in least penalties at least was last year. He's also from New Hampshire. None of these guys would come out of the gate firing, IMO as they will have an uphill battle to just get a staff together and learn the recruiting landscape etc. I mean Wildhack would need a few people to talk to who know the landscape, I think the right people know who the up and comers are. And again these types are probably boom or bust they would come at a decent price and with the right contract shouldn't be a huge deal to move on from in 3 years

Or you shoot the gap with a guy who has experience as a HC but who isn't one currently like a Golden or Kyle Flood type.

I guess it kind of depends what you are looking for and what route you want to take. Kind of a mess no matter what you do. a new coach is going to deal with the proverbial mass exodus as well so why not take a huge shot and give them a few years. Not 8 but 3. The portal will hurt up front but may help once coach has time to get his feet on the ground

I still think Dino has a 50/50 shot at being retained as I think he will wind up 6-6.

Last edited:
Since things clicked in year three he is 39-17 in the MAC and 49-36 overall. His OOC record stinks.
Most MAC Coaches do have a horrible OOC record though. I mean they are playing P5's and usually overmatched. Are they losing and somewhat competitive or getting taken to the woodshed? If people want to put emphasis on that or not is up to them. If I were hiring someone for the job I certainly would.

Strength of P5 opponent as well

Not that many of these current MAC coaches really excite me but I see the reasoning, I think if you hire a current MAC HC or a coach at a lower level, it's so much easier for them to hit the ground running and they have guys on their current staff they can simply bring over with them, minus one of their coordinators who will most likely get the job they left behind and an assistant or two. But isn't this what we just did with Dino?

I am interested in guys like Joe Brady at Buffalo if he were to have some moderate success as the interim OC for Buffalo. Dan Pitcher with the Bengals. The OC at Oregon, Leipold's OC at Kansas. Tim Cramsey OC at Memphis, they score a ton of points and his offense is clean and like top 5 in least penalties at least was last year. He's also from New Hampshire. None of these guys would come out of the gate firing, IMO as they will have an uphill battle to just get a staff together and learn the recruiting landscape etc. I mean Wildhack would need a few people to talk to who know the landscape, I think the right people know who the up and comers are. And again these types are probably boom or bust they would come at a decent price and with the right contract shouldn't be a huge deal to move on from in 3 years

Or you shoot the gap with a guy who has experience as a HC but who isn't one currently like a Golden or Kyle Flood type.

I guess it kind of depends what you are looking for and what route you want to take. Kind of a mess no matter what you do. a new coach is going to deal with the proverbial mass exodus as well so why not take a huge shot and give them a few years. Not 8 but 3. The portal will hurt up front but may help once coach has time to get his feet on the ground

I still think Dino has a 50/50 shot at being retained as I think he will wind up 6-6.

As a Bengals fan please no to Dan Pitcher, although he would get out QB situation handled quickly.

I've said it on other posts, MAC coaches have done well when going elsewhere, simply look at UC, with the hiring of Butch Jones and Brian Kelly (barf), Leipold, Matt Campbell and Dave Clawson have also excelled in traditionally tough places to win!

why is he a great recruiter? Just curious. Sounds like you may be swept up and waxing poetic with Wednesday night MACTION! It happens
He was in running for recruiter of the year at. Notre dame. He did well then.

Yeah I don’t really get that comment. Meanwhile Dan Mullen stinks as a recruiter but has top 10 classes at UF. We have a strange board.
Read his bio. That’s how I found out.

I would take Golden 100 times over this guy. This hire would be so meh.
Why Golden? Bombed at Miami. Could not win in the acc at Miami and you expect a winner at su.

Why Golden? Bombed at Miami. Could not win in the acc at Miami and you expect a winner at su.
He was 32-25 at Miami I mean I wouldn't call that bombing certainly not great but not many have had success there either over the past 20 years. His floor would be acceptable too many I believe.

Nobody is coming in with a perfect resume.

At this point, DB could still be back next year. If he is, next years schedule should easily get him to a bowl game. That means he could then be back at least another year after that. So until he’s gone and we know SU is literally making calls and talking to people. None of this matters nor do we know that we will or won’t contact Mullen. JW was at the game Mullen was announcing. For all we know he’s already been loosely interviewed.
I keep reading the schedule is easier or softer next year and we should get to a bowl. On paper maybe but we have a tendency to make an easier schedule much more difficult by our up-and-down performance during the season.

He wins 6 they’re retaining him. I don’t agree with it but they’ve already laid ground work with excuses about injuries. It’s either that or JW has a great poker face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom