Miami Postgame Thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Miami Postgame Thoughts

Great coaching job by Red and the assistants. Holding Miami to 69 is impressive.
I posted 4 or so games ago that JJ finally had his HS form back and since that point he has continued to shoot well. So happy for him as coming off his injuries especially the shoulder is very hard to do.
Taylor is really struggling. I wouldn't bench him but maybe play him for shorter durations to try and get him out of this slump.
Brown is such a treat to watch. He plays all aspects of basketball beautifully. His feet work on D, vision, court awareness and especially his hands are so good. If he develops a shot he just might make the league. Kids a joy to watch.
Judah had a heck of a game as well. Red pulling him when he was off was key. Great coaching.
Bell was clutch. Yes he was weak on D but his shots in my opinion were a big net positive.
Benny played hard. His grind under the basket was good to see.
And of course Q.
Judah might be the leader but Q is the heart of this team. He's special. Very few teams have a player like Q on them. The teammate that picks everyone up. The guy who mends internal fences. He is the Glue of this team. It's heart and I'm so happy, so thrilled for him and all the guys and coaches.
This game gives me hope that Syracuse is on its way back. Yesterday we played Syracuse basketball for the first time in a very long time. What a game!

This game was not a beautiful thing, however, it was a beautiful moment that ended it when Q made that incredible winning shot. Much work must still occur on improving our D and more consistent scoring throughout the game. Exciting home win!

Two plays that I really loved:

The extra-pass play by Bell. Great penetration and kick-out in traffic by Cope, then the perfect extra pass by Bell to set up JJ for the swish.

The poke-out by Maliq off the offensive rebound. Prevented a breakaway for Miami, and instead led to a corner three by JJ. Great hustle.

Well, to be fair, Judah did dribble into traffic and had nowhere to go, and tossed it in Q's general direction. Good thing Q is 6-6 or else that pass was going out of bounds. Q only had about a second to catch the ball, come down, and set his feet. Quite a finish for Mr. Copeland.

The pass may have been thrown with the knowledge that Q is 6-6 and Cleveland is 6-7.

I’m not defending everything he does.…so don’t take this like I’m the Judah defense squad….

10 pts, 8 boards, 13 assists.

maybe this board can appreciate what he does sometimes, myself included.
I feel like a dad does with Mintz cause i feel sometimes he doesnt do what he is capable of. today wasnot that day. absolutely great game bye the kid.

no close game summary is complete without mentioning free throws were 15-5 . i know for a fact we'd all feel jobbed if that script was flipped.

Most foul shots come on two point field goal attempts. They took 36 two pointers and were fouled 9 times. We took 31 two pointers and were fouled 12 times. Miami had 38 points in the paint to our 22. So yes, that seems out of whack. We were extended to cover their three point shooters and that weakened our internal defense, especially off the pick and roll. I didn't get the impression that the refs were favoring us, but that's though my orange-colored glasses.

It’s good to be wrong.

That’s my life philosophy. :confused:

I haven't kept track but I wonder if my happiness level has been as high when I've been wrong about something as it has been when I've been right about something. The element of surprise can be an amplifier.

Turning point of the game was when Coach Red put Copeland on the 3 point shooter who was tourching JJ and Judah (not sure if it was mentioned) forced the player out to make the shot and he missed his next one and did not take a shot the rest of the game (last 7 minutes I believe). Bell did OK on defense until he had to cover a man who played closer to the basket. He (Bell) is an effective defender on the perimiter. He needs to be better on the Interior. JJ played great, Judah played smart, Bell played with cahones at the end and Copeland/Brown were the glue. Benny came in and got a few rebounds and drew a foul or two (nice contribution). Taylor needs to be more effective shooting the ball to remain on the court for more than 15 minutes. When Bell/Taylor are both hitting 3s we are a very difficult matchup to any team in the country.

IMHO this was a win that an NCAA team gets during the season. Great game. Had to pause it a few times to catch my breath. Wow

GO CUSE!!!!

Turning point of the game was when Coach Red put Copeland on the 3 point shooter who was tourching JJ and Judah (not sure if it was mentioned) forced the player out to make the shot and he missed his next one and did not take a shot the rest of the game (last 7 minutes I believe). Bell did OK on defense until he had to cover a man who played closer to the basket. He (Bell) is an effective defender on the perimiter. He needs to be better on the Interior. JJ played great, Judah played smart, Bell played with cahones at the end and Copeland/Brown were the glue. Benny came in and got a few rebounds and drew a foul or two (nice contribution). Taylor needs to be more effective shooting the ball to remain on the court for more than 15 minutes. When Bell/Taylor are both hitting 3s we are a very difficult matchup to any team in the country.

IMHO this was a win that an NCAA team gets during the season. Great game. Had to pause it a few times to catch my breath. Wow

GO CUSE!!!!
This is a good point. Bell, a shooter, knows how to defend shooters fairly well. Guys who are adept at dribble drives go right by him easily.

I had to do a double take, I thought that man in the blue on the right was Dick Vitale.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 115425.png

This game was not a beautiful thing, however, it was a beautiful moment that ended it when Q made that incredible winning shot. Much work must still occur on improving our D and more consistent scoring throughout the game. Exciting home win!
sooo many uncontested dunks and layups by miami...

its alarming, really

its always possible to contest a shot...

help defender has to be ready to foul...where having no backup center hurts a lot

It is a good win. I think ACC will send five or six teams to NCAA tournament. Most likely UNC, Duke, Clemson and Miami. On the bubbles are Syracuse and Wake Forest. With a win over Miami, we now have a better chance to make it than Wake.
With all due respect - why do you think Clemson would get a bid? They have a history of playing worse at the end of the season.

Miami makes more sense because they have a great coach and made the Final Four last year.

Whoever Bell was guarding yesterday they purposely drove on him. He moves his feet, but doesn’t use his body enough to move the guys off their spots. He was picked on all day, but he made two huge shots down the stretch.

With all due respect - why do you think Clemson would get a bid? They have a history of playing worse at the end of the season.

Miami makes more sense because they have a great coach and made the Final Four last year.
Miami really hasn’t beat anyone all year. I doubt they would be in at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom