Michael Carter-Williams | Syracusefan.com

Michael Carter-Williams

anomander

Living Legend
I am curious if Michael Carter-Williams outstanding play in the BET, and now the NCAA Tournament has changed his legacy at Syracuse University. He quickly went from a PG who was being grouped with some of the biggest disappointments to now one of the most highly thought of. I am not basing this solely on performance, but what he would be thought of in 20 years. Personally I always have been pretty high on him, and felt he was unfairly criticized for the most part. In the modern NCAA tournament ear I would probably have grouped him in the around the 4th or 5th best PG. Others had him in a dog fight with James Theus. So my question is where will he be ranked by the majority win or lose after this weekend? Is he better then Laz Sims? Both were basically 1 year contributors, and both led their respective teams to the Final 4. Sims however wasn't nearly the best player on his team, behind Wallace, Otis, and maybe even Todd Burgan. MCW is arguably the mvp for this FF team. I'm interested to see what others think.

I am curious if Michael Carter-Williams outstanding play in the BET, and now the NCAA Tournament has changed his legacy at Syracuse University. He quickly went from a PG who was being grouped with some of the biggest disappointments to now one of the most highly thought of. I am not basing this solely on performance, but what he would be thought of in 20 years. Personally I always have been pretty high on him, and felt he was unfairly criticized for the most part. In the modern NCAA tournament ear I would probably have grouped him in the around the 4th or 5th best PG. Others had him in a dog fight with James Theus. So my question is where will he be ranked by the majority win or lose after this weekend? Is he better then Laz Sims? Both were basically 1 year contributors, and both led their respective teams to the Final 4. Sims however wasn't nearly the best player on his team, behind Wallace, Otis, and maybe even Todd Burgan. MCW is arguably the mvp for this FF team. I'm interested to see what others think.
of course it has. He took us to the final four.

I think when all is said and done MCW will go down as one of our finest guards, way behind Bing, and slightly behind Pearl, GMac, Sherm, Lee and Hart, maybe others, Andy? Who am I missing?

Maybe comparable to Billy Edelin.

are u for real? no way man. mcw is the best player on a final four team. playing his best ball in the tournament. he dropped a career high 24pts in a sweet 16 game against heavily favored 1 seed Indiana. edelin can't approach any of that.

mcw cemented his legacy as an all time su great with this run. and his regular season wasn't too shabby either.

This run puts him in rare air. The Theus comparison is silly. Hart and Edelin are behind in legacy based on MCW's run so far. If he continues MVP play in final 4, for guards, the only ones above would be Sherm, McNamara, and the Pearl (and only one of those was involved with winning a championship). The comparable legacy is John Wallace (a great player,who got hot when it counted most, and ran them to an unexpected final). If he brings it home, he is an all time SU great.

i can't say his legacy with one of the worst... thats crazy. But it was a bit disappointing until now.

are u for real? no way man. mcw is the best player on a final four team. playing his best ball in the tournament. he dropped a career high 24pts in a sweet 16 game against heavily favored 1 seed Indiana. edelin can't approach any of that.

mcw cemented his legacy as an all time su great with this run. and his regular season wasn't too shabby either.

Edelin won a national title. I don't believe MCW has done that yet.

E

Edelin was probably the 3rd-4th best player on a national title winner. He dropped 20 points in the Oklahoma State game, and if he didnt we would've lost and been out the first weekend.

I wouldn't say Edelin "can't approach" any of that. I would agree that MCW's late season run puts him over Edelin, but Edelin deserves credit for being one of the best players on national champ.

edelin wasnt the best player on that team. or the 2nd best. or the 3rd best. come on.

I don't think MCW had a bad legacy or was viewed as a bad player. Before the BET, I would have seen his legacy as that of "unfinished player" in that you could clearly see he was oozing with skill and capability, but he had some maturity issues with his game that he needed to work on. He has been playing at the level we thought he could earlier in the season. I hope it continues and then let the chips fall.

Ahhh...I love Billy, but when were talking about legacies here, Billy's has a lot of baggage attached...

Nobody(so far) puts Flynn up there?

The guy was our best player for 2 years, and that 09 squad put us back on the map. We hadn't done much at all for the previous 4 years.

He was a better player than Hart and McNamara, in my opinion.

Nobody(so far) puts Flynn up there?

The guy was our best player for 2 years, and that 09 squad put us back on the map. We hadn't done much at all for the previous 4 years.

He was a better player than Hart and McNamara, in my opinion.

he probably was but when you hit 6 threes in the 1st half of national championship game its hard to top that as far as legacies go. plus the '06 BET run.

His legacy will be huge just on the FF appearance alone. Regardless of what you may think of him he is by far our most important player. I can't imagine trying to play without him.

His legacy will be huge just on the FF appearance alone. Regardless of what you may think of him he is by far our most important player. I can't imagine trying to play without him.

While I agree, you could say that about Brandon or mcw. We just don't have any depth at guard.

MCW's legacy hasn't yet been completed.

If he wins a title, he deserves to be the notch below Melo (because if we win the ship, MCW was essentially a 1 and done with a title - though nowhere near the same player).

If he doesn't win the title and jumps, he is probably in a comparable tier with a guy like Sims (if only because he was here for essentially 1 year).

MCW's legacy hasn't yet been completed.

If he wins a title, he deserves to be the notch below Melo (because if we win the ship, MCW was essentially a 1 and done with a title - though nowhere near the same player).

If he doesn't win the title and jumps, he is probably in a comparable tier with a guy like Sims (if only because he was here for essentially 1 year).

disagree. sims wasnt the best player on that team. mcw is the best player on a final 4 team. thats a huge thing that not many syracuse players can say.

In the Boeheim era top PG's:

1. Pearl
2. Sherman
3. GMac
4. MCW
5. Hart
6. Sims
7. Flynn
8. Autry

Yeah well if MCW played with Melo I think he would have one too

MCW wasn't the best player on this year's team. Fair was. MCW had a really up and down season until his play over the last eight games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to post that. Fair should have been an honorable mention all american if MCW is!

E

Edelin was probably the 3rd-4th best player on a national title winner. He dropped 20 points in the Oklahoma State game, and if he didnt we would've lost and been out the first weekend.

I wouldn't say Edelin "can't approach" any of that. I would agree that MCW's late season run puts him over Edelin, but Edelin deserves credit for being one of the best players on national champ.

Yeah, its an unfair comparison to Edelin (unless we win it all.)

Billy the Kid can't be understated. The 2003 team was very young and inexperienced and not a championship team and somehow it got a humongous dose of maturity from this freshman PG who barely played until he stepped in and manned the point and settled everyone down... and then they were a real team. And that was what they needed to be a championship team. Billy was huge for that team.

MCW is different. This has been his team all year. And its been a final 4 team all year. (Despite fake fans who are idiots and take a regular season loss or two too seriously ya f ing haters.) Its Mike's team and has been all year. And apart from a couple bad moments Mike has had his team a top 5/10 squad the entire season.

Edelin just enabled an over acheiving team to overacheive and be its best and win the games that mattered. Mike is the reason we've been a top 5 team all year.

Similar results but different situations. I love Billy though great kid and I am happy he is living in Syracuse where he knows we all love him. MCW is a little different though he's a lottery pick who made sure to take us to the Final 4 before he left, Mike should be compared to guys like Donte Green and Melo not Billy, thats how awesome he's been.

BIG LOVE TO BOTH!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom