Michael Johnson staying as Co-OC / TE Coach | Syracusefan.com

Michael Johnson staying as Co-OC / TE Coach

Are we sure that Devin Redd is a full-time coach going forward? Based on OX's list, we now have 6 offensive coaches and 4 for defense. I'm surprised that we have 2 coaches for WR and one for DB's.

Are we sure that Devin Redd is a full-time coach going forward? Based on OX's list, we now have 6 offensive coaches and 4 for defense. I'm surprised that we have 2 coaches for WR and one for DB's.
Seems that Redd is really here for his recruitment prowess

So I heard from one of the players that he was the actual architect of the offensive scheme (Wildcat and using Villari and LaQuint to take the snaps) for the late games when we had no QB. Especially the Pitt game. It was him and not Beck who came up with the initial plan. Just repeating what I was told now that Beck is gone and Johnson is not.

So I heard from one of the players that he was the actual architect of the offensive scheme (Wildcat and using Villari and LaQuint to take the snaps) for the late games when we had no QB. Especially the Pitt game. It was him and not Beck who came up with the initial plan. Just repeating what I was told now that Beck is gone and Johnson is not.

Wow.

That is spicy. Would make a lot of sense based on what has happened since then.

Interesting if true.

After the QB debacle this year and his 2 years in charge of our QBs, he oversaw quite a dumpster fire with that unit.

Not having a serviceable # 2 is criminal.

First move I really don’t understand. Btw, it doesn’t really matter if I do, Fran obviously knows more but our WR blowed last year QB aside.

All I know is that the play calling was fresh and innovative in the Pitt game and completely uninspired and pedestrian against USF.

Why did things fall off so drastically for the offense? As far as I know, the only coaches who were gone for the bowl game were Coach Lynch and Coach Beck.

I would think one of them, maybe both, likely played a major role in the great game plan and play calling against Pitt.

We badly missed whoever was pulling the strings against Pitt. I can’t accept that the same person ran the offense against Pitt and USF. USF had a worse defense than Pitt and the shockingly bad coaching made them look elite.

I thought it was a very collaborative, with primary input from Dino concerning the power running scheme, specifically between the tackles heavy. I certainly thought it resembled the running scheme from Dino's first 4 years, including Dungy's senior year.

All I know is that the play calling was fresh and innovative in the Pitt game and completely uninspired and pedestrian against USF.

Why did things fall off so drastically for the offense? As far as I know, the only coaches who were gone for the bowl game were Coach Lynch and Coach Beck.

I would think one of them, maybe both, likely played a major role in the great game plan and play calling against Pitt.

We badly missed whoever was pulling the strings against Pitt. I can’t accept that the same person ran the offense against Pitt and USF. USF had a worse defense than Pitt and the shockingly bad coaching made them look elite.
Wasn’t lynch the one that called the plays in the bowl game??? lol

Well then, screw Beck and his photogenic twitter family.

Lynch was the OC vs South Florida.

I thought it was a very collaborative, with primary input from Dino concerning the power running scheme, specifically between the tackles heavy. I certainly thought it resembled the running scheme from Dino's first 4 years, including Dungy's senior year.
Maybe some collaboration, but the first idea was Johnson from what I heard.

Maybe some collaboration, but the first idea was Johnson from what I heard.
I get that. But if Lynch was officially the OC and Johnson was still there, the only missing piece was Beck.

So logic says he was likely a major factor in the game plan and play calling differences.

Dino said it was a team effort to come up with the radical new approach post BC. I believe that.

But I think Coach Beck was maybe the biggest part of the team, at least based on what happened once he was gone.

I like Coach Johnson and hope he will do well in his new role.

That doesnt suprise me.

I get that. But if Lynch was officially the OC and Johnson was still there, the only missing piece was Beck.

So logic says he was likely a major factor in the game plan and play calling differences.

Dino said it was a team effort to come up with the radical new approach post BC. I believe that.

But I think Coach Beck was maybe the biggest part of the team, at least based on what happened once he was gone.

you're completely discounting that we had element of surprise vs. Pitt with this new scheme and we had Shrader (albeit limited) vs. Pitt... while USF had weeks to prepare and no Shrader, other different player personnel also.
I don't think the only variable towards the 2 outcomes was Beck, far from it

you're completely discounting that we had element of surprise vs. Pitt with this new scheme and we had Shrader (albeit limited) vs. Pitt... while USF had weeks to prepare and no Shrader, other different player personnel also.
I don't think the only variable towards the 2 outcomes was Beck, far from it
True to some extent.

We had been running Wildcat for weeks before Pitt. The only surprise was that Shrader was able to throw the ball (with rapidly diminishing quality) against Pitt.

Against USF we ran the ball almost exclusively in the first half, when it was still a game. I didn't see anything new introduced, no variations, no new different blocking schemes.

We had 15 practices to introduce some surprises and new things and completely failed to take advantage of that time.

The only trick play I remember us trying was a reverse where the toss to LeQuint was horrible (it looked like it had never been practiced) and the ball bounced out of bounds to save us from a sure turnover.

The only new passing play I remember was a fake option where Villari pulled up and passed. It was horribly executed and it looked like it had never been practiced as well.

I don't know how you can introduce a bunch of concepts and make so many changes in a week (for Pitt) and then have a month to prepare and do almost nothing innovative to help address an admittedly not very talented offensive unit.

That was the worst job of preparing a team for a bowl game in Syracuse history (the defense was just as poorly prepared). And we have had a couple of real bad bowl performances against Alabama and Georgia Tech in past years...

It doesn't really matter whose fault it was. Those people will not be put in positions of authority for Syracuse football ever again. I don't want to make it look like this was Coach Johnson's responsibility. I am sure it wasn't his fault.

I am just glad we have Coach Nixon coming to help make sure that kind of disaster doesn't happen again to our offense for a very long time.

True to some extent.

We had been running Wildcat for weeks before Pitt. The only surprise was that Shrader was able to throw the ball (with rapidly diminishing quality) against Pitt.

Against USF we ran the ball almost exclusively in the first half, when it was still a game. I didn't see anything new introduced, no variations, no new different blocking schemes.

We had 15 practices to introduce some surprises and new things and completely failed to take advantage of that time.

The only trick play I remember us trying was a reverse where the toss to LeQuint was horrible (it looked like it had never been practiced) and the ball bounced out of bounds to save us from a sure turnover.

The only new passing play I remember was a fake option where Villari pulled up and passed. It was horribly executed and it looked like it had never been practiced as well.

I don't know how you can introduce a bunch of concepts and make so many changes in a week (for Pitt) and then have a month to prepare and do almost nothing innovative to help address an admittedly not very talented offensive unit.

That was the worst job of preparing a team for a bowl game in Syracuse history (the defense was just as poorly prepared). And we have had a couple of real bad bowl performances against Alabama and Georgia Tech in past years...

It doesn't really matter whose fault it was. Those people will not be put in positions of authority for Syracuse football ever again. I don't want to make it look like this was Coach Johnson's responsibility. I am sure it wasn't his fault.

I am just glad we have Coach Nixon coming to help make sure that kind of disaster doesn't happen again to our offense for a very long time.
Pretty unique situation, but our “bowl prep” sessions were split between practice for USF and talent evaluation sessions for the new staff to get on tape and observe. Based on our performance it is crystal clear which component got the majority of the attention.

He was.

He coached the QB's and had no serviceable #2 even remotely ready to play, which necessitated us to come up with an emergency wildcat offense with Villari as de facto # 2 QB.

You want to give him credit for his hand in crafting that offense, fine by me... But you also have to acknowledge he had a big hand in putting us in that position with no serviceable # 2 QB. Certainly not all his fault with Lamson leaving and recruiting swings and whiffs with the likes of CDRW. The bookends of the Dino era... Bringing in players not fit for purpose and subsequent depth issues. But it was also shocking how completely unprepared our backup QBs looked. Anyways, Beck can own some of that too in my book.

Also, as others have said, meathead Narduzzi not being able to in-game adjust and deal with our new fangled thundercat offense in its unveiling game isn't all that surprising. Also not surprising subsequent opponents dealt with it better, including USF that had 3 weeks to prepare for it and who was already one of the better run-stuffing defenses in the country to begin with. They were a very bad matchup for us and the gadget thundercat.

Last edited:

Coach Cap said the same thing in his post game-Pitt interview.

IMG_1518.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom