Michael Johnson staying as Co-OC / TE Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Michael Johnson staying as Co-OC / TE Coach

He was.

He coached the QB's and had no serviceable #2 even remotely ready to play, which necessitated us to come up with an emergency wildcat offense with Villari as de facto # 2 QB.

You want to give him credit for his hand in crafting that offense, fine by me... But you also have to acknowledge he had a big hand in putting us in that position with no serviceable # 2 QB. Certainly not all his fault with Lamson leaving and recruiting swings and whiffs with the likes of CDRW. The bookends of the Dino era... Bringing in players not fit for purpose and subsequent depth issues. But it was also shocking how completely unprepared our backup QBs looked. Anyways, Beck can own some of that too in my book.

Also, as others have said, meathead Narduzzi not being able to in-game adjust and deal with our new fangled thundercat offense in its unveiling game isn't all that surprising. Also not surprising subsequent opponents dealt with it better, including USF that had 3 weeks to prepare for it and who was already one of the better run-stuffing defenses in the country to begin with. They were a very bad matchup for us and the gadget thundercat.
CDRW was the number 2 and then was injured. We were on QB #3.

Not everyone can be “coached up”. He ws in his 3rd year of college. Sometimes it’s on the player and not the coaches.

Lamson transfers out, CDRW is de facto # 2 going into season in year 3... If he isn't good enough, the staff should know by year 3... Where was the transfer QB we needed?? ... Especially since they also knew Shrader would not be fully healed from injury to throw??

When Shrader's arm died, the only solution was moving our 1st year TE transfer to QB and running the wildcat... Or in other words, meltdown.

None of that is CDRW's fault for not being good enough. Sorry.

Last edited:
CDRW was the number 2 and then was injured. We were on QB #3.
In one sense we may have been on QB #5 when you consider Lamson left in the spring, and Villari was moved to TE.

In one sense we may have been on QB #5 when you consider Lamson left in the spring, and Villari was moved to TE.

However you rank him, the fact no transfer QB was brought in was absolutely criminal by the staff.

Lamson transfers out, CDRW is de facto # 2 going into season in year 3... If he isn't good enough, the staff should know by year 3... Where was the transfer QB we needed?? ... Especially since they also knew Shrader would not be fully healed from injury to throw??

When Shrader's arm died, the only solution was moving our 1st year TE transfer to QB and running the wildcat... Or in other words, meltdown.

None of that is CDRW's fault for not being good enough. Sorry.
Lot of assumptions and random thoughts here and previously that don’t actually all connect to make your point, like expecting the staff to find a new proven QB2 in the time after Lamson left and knowing for certain that Shrader wouldn’t be healed (and would get injured again). Yes, it was not a good situation, but assigning of blame mostly to Beck is not correct.

1/3 to 1/2 the teams in the ACC had no real viable backup QB. Some found guys to play the spot after trying several like bc/VT but if you plug in the 3-4 guy and find one and didnt go to that one first, that also shows you didnt really have the hole plugged you got lucky with a flyer. If Davis had played great as the 3rd option thats more luck than building a good room.

Teams like SU dont have high end talent just sitting around.

All I know is that the play calling was fresh and innovative in the Pitt game and completely uninspired and pedestrian against USF.

Why did things fall off so drastically for the offense? As far as I know, the only coaches who were gone for the bowl game were Coach Lynch and Coach Beck.

I would think one of them, maybe both, likely played a major role in the great game plan and play calling against Pitt.

We badly missed whoever was pulling the strings against Pitt. I can’t accept that the same person ran the offense against Pitt and USF. USF had a worse defense than Pitt and the shockingly bad coaching made them look elite.
I still think that the bowl game debacle can be explained by a lot of factors.

The loss of players.

The loss of coaches.

USF had time to better prepare for the scheme.

And, not having Shrader as, at least, a decoy.

We never had a chance in that game.

Lot of assumptions and random thoughts here and previously that don’t actually all connect to make your point, like expecting the staff to find a new proven QB2 in the time after Lamson left and knowing for certain that Shrader wouldn’t be healed (and would get injured again). Yes, it was not a good situation, but assigning of blame mostly to Beck is not correct.

I didn't say it was mostly Beck to blame... I said he can own some of it, as can the HCDB.

I am assuming that they knew the extent of Shrader's injury, surgery, and resulting medical prognosis from doctors involved for ballpark recovery time. As starting QB # 1, I expect that is something they would know.

If they did not know and didn't plan based on that knowledge, ok... but that is even worse. It would mean Shrader would not tell them and hid behind HIPPA protection. If that was the case, then you have to plan assuming he won't be able to play and you need to bring in another QB if CDRW isn't serviceable.

I'd venture a guess they simply weren't sure, going into his 3rd year, if CDRW would be serviceable and decided to roll the dice that he would be (and hoped they would not have to find out.)

It was critical situation that was clearly handled poorly by the staff, whatever the exact details be.

Last edited:

The loss of players.

The loss of coaches.

I hate that we were shutout (thanks Simmons for the unncessary hit and the ref for the wrong call on it). And I hate that, at the time, it was the worst bowl loss in ACC history, to a 6-6 terrible defense USF team no less (but thanks FSU for shattering our short visit on the wall of shame).

That said, I agree with you, we were in a state of disarray at that point and weren't going to have Shrader. The disarray was a wonderful thing for our future, but a bad thing for having to play a game against a hungry team just a few weeks later.

Not at all surprised we lost, just wish it wasn't quite so ugly.

Better times lie ahead.

Davis was the transfer QB.

Davis is one for the future. He was a redshirt Freshman with zero collegiate game experience (redshirted the entire 2022 year at South Carolina and did not play a snap.)

I'm talking a serviceable #2 game-ready QB behind Shrader.

Staff must have believed CDRW was that guy... or they struck out on whatever player(s) they hoped to get and were stuck.

Plus with Davis, Nunz even said after the bowl game debacle that Davis was too much of a greenhorn and they weren't going to put the offense on his back in the game... He got a few sprinkled cameos and he said that was the plan for Davis in that game... to just get his feet wet a little.

Last edited:
Davis is one for the future. He was a redshirt Freshman with zero collegiate game experience (redshirted the entire 2022 year at South Carolina and did not play a snap.)

I'm talking a serviceable #2 game-ready QB behind Shrader.

Staff must have believed CDRW was that guy... or they struck out on whatever player(s) they hoped to get and were stuck.

Plus with Davis, Nunz even said after the bowl game debacle that Davis was too much of a greenhorn and they weren't going to put the offense on his back in the game... He got a few sprinkled cameos and he said that was the plan for Davis in that game... to just get his feet wet a little.
I think the staff thought between Lamson and CDRW (with Davis in the stable) they had enough. So much so that they could move Villari to TE. Obviously best laid plans that didn’t work out.

I know what you’re saying. I just think you’re overstating the blame. I think it’s hard to find quality guys to sit the bench if you’re SU circa 2022-23.

I think the staff thought between Lamson and CDRW (with Davis in the stable) they had enough. So much so that they could move Villari to TE. Obviously best laid plans that didn’t work out.

I know what you’re saying. I just think you’re overstating the blame. I think it’s hard to find quality guys to sit the bench if you’re SU circa 2022-23.

We'll find out.

Fran has to do it.

The loss of players.

The loss of coaches.

I just think Coach Lynch wasnt calling the right plays at the right time. Not that that woulda won the game and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom