Mike Brey to retire | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Brey to retire

Its a double edge sword

If the league is good, its harder for SU to get back to winning the league

If its seen as on the decline or boring to recruits, harder to get top players to come to SU
A deep league = more opportunities for quality wins
More opportunities for quality wins = better chance of making the tournament

I don’t think it’s double edged at all, there’s a reason the pac 12 has largely been a graveyard for coaches, if you’re not consistently in the top 4, you struggle to make the tournament

In wrestling terms Brey wasn’t a world title contender but he was an Intercontinental title type of coach. Good not great. Couldn’t carry a league for a season but would benefit the league more years than not.

He did his job at Notre Dame and the expectations for the program aren’t huge. Run a clean program. He did.
Be competitive. He was
Now he wasn’t winning as much so they asked him to leave and allowed him to save his dignity and not be fired.

23 years is a lot of time. I don’t think Notre Dame will upgrade because they don’t seem to care about hoops enough to want a name coach. I think they will go the alum route. If they wanted to make a splash hire Mick Cronin would be interesting but I doubt he would he leave UCLA unless he hated the west coast or big ten move.

There’s some interesting names projected as potential candidates. Nothing to knock your socks off. Former player Quinn, who’s an assistant with the Miami Heat is an interesting candidate.

This is not good for us - they have a better shot of upgrading their coach when replacing Brey. Sadly we need as few good coaches in this league as possible.
oh+well+2.gif

Its a double edge sword

If the league is good, its harder for SU to get back to winning the league

If its on the decline we might be able to get to the top of the standings if things align correctly but if its seen as second tier or boring to recruits, harder to get top players to come to SU
"get back to winning the league "?
How does one get "back" to a place it hasn't been?

"get back to winning the league "?
How does one get "back" to a place it hasn't been?
Ha, fair point.

Shall a say winning a league like in the Big East days

FWIW, SU hasnt contended for this leagues title since their first year in it, 2014. Yikes

Mike Brey was only at ND for a measly 23 years...needs at least another 23 to be considered long-reigning.

Seems good chance they may keep it in the family and trust a guy who seems to have an understanding of being clean and maybe even winning.

Clingan isn’t leaving UConn. Kid went to Bristol Central in CT.

The same reason why we think it would make sense for JJ to come here (hometown), is the reason Clingan would stay.

Also Sanogo is gone next year anyway
More than just hometown for Clingan. Younger sibling at home and mother is deceased.

Last edited:
Not sure I follow you, but in my opinion we should be worried that ND will get an upgrade from Mike Brey and improve their program, and be beating us.
I see it differently. The ACC being really good at basketball again would be a good thing for our program big picture wise and long term.

We just need to handle our own business and get good again rather than hoping to tread water in a crappy league. I hope Louisville bounces back, and ND continues to be at least decent.

The ACC should be THE league to play in for b-ball. Cannot let the SEC hold that crown too.

Mike Brey was only at ND for a measly 23 years...needs at least another 23 to be considered long-reigning.

Seems good chance they may keep it in the family and trust a guy who seems to have an understanding of being clean and maybe even winning.

Ha, my Bonaventure friends suffered through their scandal in 03 that led to Van Breda Koff leaving and hiring Solomon. The suffering continued under Solomon. He had an awful record there. You could say the deck was stacked against him though.

The announcement from the AD sounds more like Brey is being pushed out. Whenever they say we mutually decided it's time usually means it wasn't mutual and the organization wants a change.
He's only had one team in the NCAAs the last five seasons, two losing seasons, and hasn't been ranked during conference play since 2017.

I see it differently. The ACC being really good at basketball again would be a good thing for our program big picture wise and long term.

We just need to handle our own business and get good again rather than hoping to tread water in a crappy league. I hope Louisville bounces back, and ND continues to be at least decent.

The ACC should be THE league to play in for b-ball. Cannot let the SEC hold that crown too.
i see both sides for sure - but for me, until we improve our product (by a lot), I want nobody else to be good. I am very grateful that our worst seasons happened during what may be the weakest years in ACC history.

Sell him on him and Judah working towards being the Darius Garland/Donovan Mitchell of college hoops and just playing the game and to nevermind the 1980’s positions.

"Cleveland Rocks!" :)

At the 9:24 mark; "you know when you're at a place for 23 years, I mean you can get some fatigue of the routine at the place you are at a little bit, it just...is what it is."

Well, I wonder what's the fatigue of the routine of someone in the same position for 46 years, literally doubled? Would that equate to double the fatigue or is that more of an exponential deal than linear? ;)

Check out his presser after the FSU loss earlier this week.

Credit to Mark Packer and the ACCN for showing this after Mike resigned.

Go to about the 2:10 mark and start watching from there. He is not right; the losing has destroyed him. Pretty sad.
Very sad. Hope he finds relief from all the stress, sits on a beach, enjoys his family and enjoys the fruits of all his labor for decades. Coaching in this new world with all the social media, lack of rules and pressure is unchartered territory for older coaches who love developing young players.

Hate Notre Dame with a passion. Brey seems like a good guy. Even though I hated playing them with their 19 annual 3-point shooters (any of which will go off on a given night), will actually kinda miss him being in the league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom