Mike Francesca - NYCFC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Francesca - NYCFC

I used to like Joe when he did shows by himself, I can't stand Evan, the guy is a know it all, and is annoying. I really like JJ after dark, he is very passionate, and he talks about Syracuse alot.
I was at Bar A the year JJ won the contest to get his gig. it was a lot of fun, ive been a few times so they all kind of run together and the booze flows greatly with usually a great band (Southside Johnny, the Smithereens), but I distinctly remember him because he was the 'Syracuse kid' and then for a few years I used to get up a little after 5 and heard the end of his show when he filled in for Tony Paige, before B & C started.

I was at Bar A the year JJ won the contest to get his gig. it was a lot of fun, ive been a few times so they all kind of run together and the booze flows greatly with usually a great band (Southside Johnny, the Smithereens), but I distinctly remember him because he was the 'Syracuse kid' and then for a few years I used to get up a little after 5 and heard the end of his show when he filled in for Tony Paige, before B & C started.

Did you happen to catch Simms filling in for Carton? Simms and Boomer were awesome.

Did you happen to catch Simms filling in for Carton? Simms and Boomer were awesome.
I did and agree, they are good.

Phil was much better this week than a month or 2 ago when he 1st filled in.

I think he's lined up for a few more in June sometime.

Francesca is an arrogant gas bag and is well beyond his prime, but he is responsible for 27ish years of mostly compelling radio. He is a legend in a genre with a very short history.

Also, give me the Smithereens over Southaide Johnny any day.

waitaseckin waitaseckin

waitaseckin waitaseckin

waitaseckin waitaseckij

COME ON NOW WAITASECKIN!!

You guys know there's a 'FrancesaCon' where people dress up like hm and then they have a competition for the best mimic?? Sort of like those Elvis Fests. It's usually the weekend before the SuperBowl, mike has gone to the last 2, and this year...he brought the Mad Dog.

It will be part of the 30 for 30 next year.

KaiserUEO said:
You guys know there's a 'FrancesaCon' where people dress up like hm and then they have a competition for the best mimic?? Sort of like those Elvis Fests. It's usually the weekend before the SuperBowl, mike has gone to the last 2, and this year...he brought the Mad Dog.

mongo nation!

They are doing a mike and the maddog 30 for 30?

They are doing a mike and the maddog 30 for 30?
Yes. I believe it's an hour long.

In addition to taking sports radio from 2 hours a night, to all day...to dominating the afternoon drive time..they created Super Bowl Radio Row during XXV.

They also basically created the pre and post game shows as we now know them during that Yankee run. They were live at the Stadium till 1st pitch, then back on for a few hours after. It was nuts.

Doubt that it will have mass appeal, but to those who loved that show we will watch and those who just love the 30 for 30s should enjoy too.

Last edited:

In addition to taking sports radio from 2 hours a night, to all day...to dominating the afternoon drive time..they created Super Bowl Radio Row during XXV.

They also basically created the pre and post game shows as we now know them during that Yankee run. They were live at the Stadium till 1st pitch, then back on for a few hours after. It was nuts.

Doubt the it will have mass appeal, but to those who loved that show we will watch and those who just love the 30 for 30s should enjoy too.

I can't wait, I absolutely love the Espn 30 for 30's, and I am a big Mike and Chris fan.

Doubt that it will have mass appeal, but to those who loved that show we will watch and those who just love the 30 for 30s should enjoy too.

Got a job in Jersey City in May of 1989 so I had to drive. Discovered Fatso and Fruit Loops shortly thereafter. Loved it. Listened religiously.

Over time, got tired of all the really stupid callers and really only tune in, and stay tuned in to any sports talk show, if someone is being interviewed...

Yeah, I heard. He is not a soccer guy. So what? FAN makes its living off of Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey.

When I moved back to the US in 1979, none of my friends knew what the World Cup was - even those who played soccer. Nobody knew what the European Cups or leagues were.

The 1982 final was the first World Cup final shown live and it had commercials during play.

Entire World Cup first shown live in 1990 on english-speaking channel.
European Championships in 2004. I remember having to watch the 2000 final on PPV.
Champions League a few years later.
Europa league a few years later.

Now there are multiple channels devoted to soccer and a thriving domestic league. It will never be football. It doesn't have to be.

Soccer has come a long way since even the mid-nineties.

The fact that he had no idea what Copa America is doesn't bother me in the least...

Yeah, I heard. He is not a soccer guy. So what? FAN makes its living off of Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey.

When I moved back to the US in 1979, none of my friends knew what the World Cup was - even those who played soccer. Nobody knew what the European Cups or leagues were.

The 1982 final was the first World Cup final shown live and it had commercials during play.

European Championships in 2004. I remember having to watch the 2000 final on PPV.

Now there are multiple channels devoted to soccer and a thriving domestic league. It will never be football. It doesn't have to be.

The fact that he had no idea what Copa America is doesn't bother me in the least...
Ireland 1 - Italy 0...

that was my 1st soccer game i saw since I played in 1 in the 70s as a kid.

since then I have become much more aware of soccer, basically laid out in the time frame you mentioned.

being a boozer and living in NYC helped...'why are all these people drunk at noon on a sunday?? baseball or football starts at 1?? what am I missing?? next week...I'M IN!!'

totally get where you are coming from on sports talk radio, but that's why I like Mike. its entertaining when he yells at, argues with and subsequently hangs up on callers. other shows can get boring without a guest.

I thought it was hilarious, not bothered in the least... Why would Mike care? He's right. Wrong about the "my kids don't watch" stuff, but whatever...

BUT I loved when he drops some usless stat from some baseball game in the middle of the rant.

BASEBALL.

I thought it was hilarious, not bothered in the least... Why would Mike care? He's right. Wrong about the "my kids don't watch" stuff, but whatever...

BUT I loved when he drops some usless stat from some baseball game in the middle of the rant.

BASEBALL.

You can do a 5 hour show about baseball in the middle of winter, thats what people in Ny care about . Soccer is huge worldwide, no one in Ny cares about it.

You can do a 5 hour show about baseball in the middle of winter, thats what people in Ny care about . Soccer is huge worldwide, no one in Ny cares about it.

You're missing my point. As he said his kids don't care about soccer, he was talking baseball.

I still have no idea what the European Cups are. That being said, soccer isn't really on my radar. That Alex Morgan is a hottie, though.