Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Jackson Grant should be really good, but Hop had no recruits for 2020, and Grant is the only guy signed for 2021. Recipe for disaster with going this route. Hop settled for transfers and they haven’t really worked out.

Hops other issue is that guys aren’t developing under him. Wasn’t Wright POY in your state of NY? He is basically a 5 ppg guy who shoots in the low 30%, as a senior. Bey was POY in Nevada and he looks worst now than when he got here.
If you think the team is bad now, just wait til Green leaves.
Hamier was not a player of the year. Was outside the top 100 and a 3 star boarder line 4. He reclassified and came early because Hop needed bodies

Is it possible that COVID made it hard for Hop to travel cross-country and get up close and personal with the recruits and families he was targeting? That would seem to be hops bread and butter.

JB on the other hand was probably all smiles when he had an excuse for not visiting players.

Is it possible that COVID made it hard for Hop to travel cross-country and get up close and personal with the recruits and families he was targeting? That would seem to be hops bread and butter.

JB on the other hand was probably all smiles when he had an excuse for not visiting players.
I thinks it affecting everyone but Hop is a grinder and is known to show up to every game the kid has and really work to get them. It is affecting him I'm sure. The real problem is Cameron Dollar and Will Conroy. Neither has done much in recruiting which is necessary because neither can coach to save their life. The brought in Jaden but that's it. Hop convinced people to stay like Nowell, Dickerson and Crisp. He brought in Wright, Carter. Roberts and Stewart.

I agree about Siena. If you want to go down a level and don't think he can get a Big East job, there are also teams like Iona, Temple, George Washington, Dayton, UMass, or one of those Philly schools like LaSalle or St. Joe's are all better choices than going to a SUNY school.
He'll never have to stoop that low, sorry.

As long as it's east coast I think he should be able to recruit very well and will be fine. He just needs to prove that he can build a consistent winner.

Hop obviously has a lot of strong connections back East and a lot of pre-existing relationships helped him land guys like Stewart, Quade, Hamir, Nate Roberts, etc. however, at a school in Washington you NEED to make the majority of your roster west coast kids. You might get 1 kid a year from back East... but if you’re counting on 80% of your scholarship players coming from NY/NJ/DMV/NH when you’re in Washington... it’s not a good recipe for long term success

I agree about Siena. If you want to go down a level and don't think he can get a Big East job, there are also teams like Iona, Temple, George Washington, Dayton, UMass, or one of those Philly schools like LaSalle or St. Joe's are all better choices than going to a SUNY school.
He'll never have to stoop that low, sorry.

As long as it's east coast I think he should be able to recruit very well and will be fine. He just needs to prove that he can build a consistent winner.

I thinks it affecting everyone but Hop is a grinder and is known to show up to every game the kid has and really work to get them. It is affecting him I'm sure. The real problem is Cameron Dollar and Will Conroy. Neither has done much in recruiting which is necessary because neither can coach to save their life. The brought in Jaden but that's it. Hop convinced people to stay like Nowell, Dickerson and Crisp. He brought in Wright, Carter. Roberts and Stewart.
Hop’s plan from the beginning was to bring in Jason Hart and Tony Bland (oops), who have great Los Angeles recruiting connections. But USC gave Hart a big raise to keep him and I’m not sure UW could match it. I imagine Jason may also have not wanted to leave LA. He would have made a huge difference for Hop in recruiting the West Coast, and he and Hop have a longtime close personal friendship, which would have made the transition seamless. It’s too bad that didn’t happen for Hop. Hop would’ve killed it if he’d gotten the USC job instead of Enfield. That would have been a perfect fit. I still think he can do well at Washington.

I think all coaches deserve some blame. You sound biased toward the assistants but back Hop. First of all, a big reason why guys like Nowell, Crisp, etc. stayed was because of the assistants you mentioned. Hop definitely had some sway as well.

But yes, the assistants around Hop have been disappointing. Conroy is here to recruit the local area, outside of McDaniels he doesn’t have much to show for. Dollar seems underwhelming. Rice was brought in for offense and to recruit the Nevada area. Offense has sucked and Bey is all he has to show for.

As for Hop, he did good with Stewart, Naz and Roberts. Not a lot to show for in year four. Wright is a huge bust

I think all the coaches are the problem. Don’t understand how you can defend Hop, but go after the assistants. Everyone needs to do a better job. Conroy is here to recruit the local kids. So far McDaniels is really the only guy he’s gotten. Rice is here for the offense and to recruit Nevada. The offense has been awful and Bey is all he has to show for. Dollar is here to recruit the California area, so far hasn’t shown much.

I agree Hop is a grinder as shown by his ability to bring in transfers, but he’s yet to prove he can build a program.

I think all coaches deserve some blame. You sound biased toward the assistants but back Hop. First of all, a big reason why guys like Nowell, Crisp, etc. stayed was because of the assistants you mentioned. Hop definitely had some sway as well.

But yes, the assistants around Hop have been disappointing. Conroy is here to recruit the local area, outside of McDaniels he doesn’t have much to show for. Dollar seems underwhelming. Rice was brought in for offense and to recruit the Nevada area. Offense has sucked and Bey is all he has to show for.

As for Hop, he did good with Stewart, Naz and Roberts. Not a lot to show for in year four. Wright is a huge bust

I think all the coaches are the problem. Don’t understand how you can defend Hop, but go after the assistants. Everyone needs to do a better job. Conroy is here to recruit the local kids. So far McDaniels is really the only guy he’s gotten. Rice is here for the offense and to recruit Nevada. The offense has been awful and Bey is all he has to show for. Dollar is here to recruit the California area, so far hasn’t shown much.

I agree Hop is a grinder as shown by his ability to bring in transfers, but he’s yet to prove he can build a program.
I am biased towards Hop. He was involved with Syracuse for half my life almost and I am a Syracuse basketball fan. I live in Seattle but could care less about UW basketball. I think the program is a joke honestly but following them now because Hop is there. Before he came here I went to 1 game over the previous decade even though I can get there in 20 minutes. I have been to Syracuse more times in the last 3 years. I know Cameron Dollar through mutual people and think he is a cheater and a piece of trash. I have heard from more than one person that coaches high school basketball that Conroy is lazy. Whether that is true I don't know but that is his reputation.

I am biased towards Hop. He was involved with Syracuse for half my life almost and I am a Syracuse basketball fan. I live in Seattle but could care less about UW basketball. I think the program is a joke honestly but following them now because Hop is there. Before he came here I went to 1 game over the previous decade even though I can get there in 20 minutes. I have been to Syracuse more times in the last 3 years. I know Cameron Dollar through mutual people and think he is a cheater and a piece of trash. I have heard from more than one person that coaches high school basketball that Conroy is lazy. Whether that is true I don't know but that is his reputation.

Conroy has been a disappointment. A lot of people thought Hop would groom him and he would eventually be the next head coach. Probably little chance of that now. Dollar was good when he was an assistant on those good Romar teams in the mid 2000’s. He did pretty bad at Seattle U.

I completely understand your bias for Hop. He is such an easy guy to root for. His first two years at UW were great times. His enthusiasm is great. Kids see that and want to play for him, see Isaiah Stewart. I think he will be a successful head coach, but I don’t think it’s a fit here. If he went back East and coached a mid major he could probably build a great program. And he would do well at an ACC or Big East school too. I just don’t think he’s a fit here. I don’t know why, but Seattle kids don’t seem eager to play for UW. The obvious answer is, “well UW sucks and they want to play for a better team.” That wasn’t the case for the last 15 years. Plenty of NBA players came from UW, maybe even more than Syracuse as of late. The 2021 recruiting was a little concerning with how much talent there was in the local area.

I want Hop to succeed, but think both UW and him would be better off parting ways sooner than later. The team is awful, one of the worst P5 teams. It will be worst next season unless Hop knows something we don’t. If they did part ways, UW could get a jump on rebuilding, and Hop would get hired somewhere else where he could succeed. Most likely he is here through the end of next season.

Going back to last season, UW has lost 20 of their last 26 games. That’s not good, especially with how awful the conference has been.

Conroy has been a disappointment. A lot of people thought Hop would groom him and he would eventually be the next head coach. Probably little chance of that now. Dollar was good when he was an assistant on those good Romar teams in the mid 2000’s. He did pretty bad at Seattle U.

I completely understand your bias for Hop. He is such an easy guy to root for. His first two years at UW were great times. His enthusiasm is great. Kids see that and want to play for him, see Isaiah Stewart. I think he will be a successful head coach, but I don’t think it’s a fit here. If he went back East and coached a mid major he could probably build a great program. And he would do well at an ACC or Big East school too. I just don’t think he’s a fit here. I don’t know why, but Seattle kids don’t seem eager to play for UW. The obvious answer is, “well UW sucks and they want to play for a better team.” That wasn’t the case for the last 15 years. Plenty of NBA players came from UW, maybe even more than Syracuse as of late. The 2021 recruiting was a little concerning with how much talent there was in the local area.

I want Hop to succeed, but think both UW and him would be better off parting ways sooner than later. The team is awful, one of the worst P5 teams. It will be worst next season unless Hop knows something we don’t. If they did part ways, UW could get a jump on rebuilding, and Hop would get hired somewhere else where he could succeed. Most likely he is here through the end of next season.
What about bringing in a big time recruiter as an assistant? He needs a Mike Menenga type on his staff.

2 time PAC-12 coach of the year Mike Hopkins is struggling this Covid season.

Paul Chryst was 19-19 as HC at Pitt. He has gone 53-19 as HC at his alma mater Wisconsin.

Just because Washington is a medicore program like Pitt FB doesn’t mean Hopkins wouldn’t do well here.
So yeah we will take him when we want him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom